21 July 2007

Frugal Subversive Award

There is something about going against the mainstream that gets my heart pumping. Everyone knows that we're expected to be good consumers and go out and spend, spend, spend. Advertisements tell us we can be more, do more and have more, and buying exactly what we want will make us as happy as we can be. The trouble is, that's a lie, spending doesn't make us happy. Happiness is much more complex. It comes from the heart and rarely has a price tag attached.



Reducing our consumption of products and returning to local, homemade and reused things is something that will benefit all of us and our planet. Endeavouring to be more frugal is one of the most important steps we can all make to help redress our environmental problems. It is a small but important step towards sustainability.


This is the start of a new meme - the Frugal Subversive Award. I am giving my award to three bloggers who consistently turn their backs on consumerism to live frugally in a creative and authentic way. These bloggers have made me think in innovative ways about my own life and how I can make a difference making, reusing, and just saying "no" to mindless spending.



The first bloggers to be presented with the Frugal Subversive Award are:
Julie at Towards Sustainability
Eilleen at Consumption Rebellion
Simply Authentic at emcglass
Please check these blogs out and see for yourself how valuable and interesting they are.


If you are given an award and want to take part in this meme, you can in turn select three other bloggers who have inspired you to be a frugal subversive. Passing the rules on with the award will make it easier for everyone to participate. Congratulations on the award. I hope it helps you spread awareness near and far.
MEME RULES
1. When you are tagged, write a post with links to three blogs who have inspired you with their frugal creativity or innovation.
2. In your post, please link back to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme and save the award graphic.
3. Leave a comment or message for the bloggers you’re tagging, so they they know they're received the award.
4. Display the Frugal Subversive Award badge to identify your blog as part of the movement that is turning its back on consumerism at any cost.
SHARE:

9 comments

  1. Wow, thanks Rhonda :-D There's something rather appealing about the word "subversive", LOL, I like it! A bit like "guerilla gardening", it's a great meme :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hip Hip Hooray!! I love this idea!
    I have been greatly encouraged by this blog and ALS over the last few months to stop spending.
    Everytime I make do or do without I feel like I have had a little victory over consumerism and marketing.
    I went op shopping today and found some great storage jars and by buying secondhand I stop the cycle of reproduction :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww thank you Rhonda! And yeah, i love "subversive" too.... kinda made it sexy in an "we will infiltrate society" type of way. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations ladies....You all deserve this award

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great award and congratulations to the recipients :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting this info. I'm fairly new to realizing how wasteful I've been in many areas and by reading your blog and the others you've mentioned, has greatly helped me to do things differently.

    Congratulations to the award winners!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool! What a great idea! Congrats to all the folks out there fighting the hard frugal fight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got nominated for this award. Very cool concept. You have a neat blog; I'm looking forward to exploring more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a blog
    site? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted
    of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept

    Here is my web blog - Beaudify

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig