2 July 2007

Mainstream media

I'm fighting to go to work today as my hip is still giving me curry. I hate being sick or incapacitated in any way so I refuse to stay home. I'm going to talk H into coming to work with me so he can do all the running around and help the ladies set up for sewing circle.

While I was sitting around doing next to nothing yesterday, I got to thinking about how much the simplicity and sustainability lifestyles have gained momentum in the past 18 months. When I helped start the aussieslivingsimply website, there was almost nothing being written in Australia about how much we all needed to change. Then the drought and weather patterns started to catch everyone's attention and it started to slowly change.

I think the internet and blogs have taken a leading role in getting information to people so they can think about what is happening and what they need to do to be ready for a new way of living. As usual, politics and mainstream media continue to follow while they falsely believe they lead.

Last week I was contacted by a Today Tonight producer. This man wanted to know the best place to do a story on small community living that incorporates bartering and growing food. I suggested Crystal Waters, which is a permaculture village close to where I live. It's been going since the 70s and is still a thriving village. The producer knew nothing about simple living but had heard about peak oil, however, that was the full extent of his knowledge in this area.

So I guess that program will be on in the next month or so. I don't watch TV at 6.30 so I doubt I'll see it but I hope they do justice to such an important topic. As much as I doubt the integrity of mainstream media in general, we do need it to get the message out to ordinary Australians that they must change. This program probably won't be important in the overall scheme of things but I hope it is part of a momentum of information about change that needs to happen. Fast.
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Oh Rhonda I do hope your hip eases up for you.
    You know even if only 10 people that view the Today Tonight Article and take interest in changing well thats 10 more lessening their foot prints on the earth.
    Hugs
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your hip stops giving you grief soon Rhonda! I only caught part of the Four Corners on climate change last Monday night, but I found it interesting. I also watched the first episode of Climate Cops - although it is cheesy they are changing the lives of ordinary Australians.
    take care of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care of that hip Rhonda, I hope you feel better soon. I do hope people watch the programme and learn something from it, as I have said many times I have gained so much knowledge from you and the ALS site, and I cant forget this blog.I love the life I live now and the rewards of making things myself instead of purshasing is great. We are also teaching our 3 year old the same values. Thanks again Rhonda From Neisha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda, look after yourself and give your hip a rest if that's what it needs. I dread to think what Today Tonight will do with that story but I guess it may reach some people and make them think about their actions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More get well wishes Rhonda, I hope your hip is better soon :-) And I agree with the previous comments about TT. I don't watch it, but I know tonnes of people who do (Lord knows why?) so it will be contributing to their awareness of the issues, even if it's not by much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your hip soon improves Rhonda. Never watch TT but always laugh at what The Chaser has to say about it. Hope it makes some people think and make some changes.

    cheers Lenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am amazed at how many programs are cropping up about simple living and climate change. There seems to be something on almost every night on cable TV. Hopefully people will start to listen.
    Hope your hip is better tonight Rhonda. Take care of yourself.
    Cheers, Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig