12 July 2007

Baking - cherry slice



I made a delicious cherry slice yesterday that H and I had warm for dessert last night. It works equally well with any stewed, preserved or tinned fruit. If you use tinned fruit, lay it on a layer of jam. Here is the recipe:

PASTRY BASE
100g butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup plain flour
1 cup self raising flour

TOPPING
3 eggs whites
1/2 cup caster sugar
500g bottled cherries
1 cup coconut

MAKING THE BASE
Cream butter and sugar. Add sifted flours and mix well. Press mixture over the base of an slice tin. Bake in a pre-heated oven 180°C for 10 minutes.

MAKING THE TOPPING
Whip egg whites until stiff. Gradually add sugar beating well between additions. Fold in cherries and coconut. Spread over base and cook for 15 minutes at 180°C.


SHARE:

7 comments

  1. mmmmm ~ delicious. I'm not much of a cook (hubbie loves to cook, I don't) but that recipe looks easy to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm! I'm going to print this off and give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm Rhonda, that looks devine, do you think it could be done with citrus? I have an abundance at the moment and want to use what I have, do you have any tips. Neisha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh oh there goes the diet.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neisha, I'm not sure how you'd do it with citrus, unless you made a marmalade or lemon/orange butter. The filling needs to be fairly thick and straight citrus has too much juice, it would make the bottom soggy. And we all hate soggy bottoms, don't we? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks absolutely scrumptious! I wonder how the toppingwould go without the coconut - another thing my son can't eat - might give it a go next week with some of my preserved fruit :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, it would be more of a soft meringue top then, but that's fine, it would still be delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig