18 July 2007

Three things I wish my mum had told me

The 90/10 principle.
I spent the first 30 years of my life expecting the exeptional to be the norm but ninety percent of life is not exceptional in any way. The big moments - the births of babies, recognising true love and getting married, are fleeting moments and are encapsulated in the extraordinary ten percent. The rest of the time, all there is is life - the taking one breath at a time kind of thing that surely can't be enough to get up for each morning, yet it is.

Do, don't just know.
You build an authentic life by not just reading about what you want to do, but also by doing it. Experience is the thing. It surpasses just knowing.

Learn to knit and sew.Well, to be fair she did tell me that, but I refused to listen. Now, at almost 60, I'm playing catchup learning technique and pushing myself beyond scarves, mittens and tea cosies.
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. As usual you are so right Rhonda. All of those are great points, but the 90/10 one really clicks with me. I often get caught up in the is this all there is? there must be more to life than this, thinking. But the reality is that most of the time this is all there is and this is all that life is about.

    Lenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trick is, Lenny, to find happiness in your 90 percent. It is there within the ordinary, you just need to recognise it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Rhonda that's what I'm working on now, and mostly I'm succeeding.

    I do still think that I have something else to accomplish aside from raising 4 great people. I'm just not sure what it is yet. I'm hoping that it will come to me if I'm open and receptive. I'm thinking at the moment that it's within the health/alternative therapies/nutrition field.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad I "found" your blog.

    It has been great fun to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, reading Lenny's comment "I often get caught up in the is this all there is? there must be more to life than this, thinking."

    I guess I do see that I greatly struggle with this too! That's why I do my morning gratefuls most days -- then I find what I am most grateful for are the simple things, such as quiet chooks, birds singing, rain, the garden growing, pleasant interaction with a neighbor, what I'm able to share, completed tasks...

    And along with a couple guilty pleasures or more: a pile of library books waiting to be read, this cup of coffee -- and sitting here to check in on your blog!

    --Wildside

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you found us too, Brenda. I'll be over to read your blog as soon as I get some time.

    The pleasures are all part of our lifestyle, wildside. Looking forward to your books, coffee and blogs until you've completed your tasks, makes that pleasure sweeter. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, for the lady that made me giggle by asking if you could simplify the combined wisdom of several years worth of posts for her - this would make a really good summary.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig