15 July 2007

Welcome to the neighbourhood


I wrote about neighbours yesterday and have been thinking since then about how we connect with others and become friends.

I failed to realise before now that we are all online neighbours. You, me and all the others, we are a new kind of neighbourhood. We might not see each other nor have the potential to hear voices, but we share, teach, encourage and comfort each other just like I remember it back in the 50s, when I was growing up. I remember our neighbours showing my mother their latest home-sewn dress or table cloth; I remember those same women teaching my mother to do things she couldn’t do, and I can still see her teaching others how to knit, make ice-cream and curl their hair with plastic rollers – the new craze. LOL We do all those things – with our computers and digital cameras, we show and tell, share our lives and encourage each other just as my mother’s neighbours once did.

We have built a beautiful, caring, thoughtful and open-hearted online neighbourhood in Blogdom and I for one am very pleased to be a part of it. Some of my readers comment that I am generous and share, and I do, it is something I think carefully about every day. I believe that generosity makes us better people and to encourage other women, and to share what I know, is one of the most important things I can do at this stage of my life. But how many others are doing that in our blog neighbourhood? Lots. It is what powers this part of the internet. It is where we gain our energy and strength. Sharing our lives makes us part of this neighbourhood.

We are the leaders here. We have no politicians and no rules. The blog neighbourhood is what we have made it – a place of friendship, encouragement and learning. This, my friends, is how real life should be, but usually isn’t. My hope is that the loving spirit of our online neighbourhood will overflow into every one's life and bubble out into the wider community via random acts of kindness and sharing.

Now if only I could work out how to borrow a cup of sugar online, I’d be set. : )
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Rhonda,
    I love reading your blog, it is probably my favourite. Surprising that for us alternative path tredders we are supporting each other through technology. I smile whenever I see your Thoreau quote -I totally identified with his revolutionary ideas regarding how we live our lives. You seem to be successfully living according to his motto, I am half-way there, so you are an inspiration for me in achieving the simple life!! Keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog..saw Elizabeths link to it on her blog "Clothesline Talk" today..I am glad I visited!!!
    I wish you were my neighbor in person..I am glad you are now my neighbor in blogland!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much for such a good blog-read everyday - much food for your table and for thought. Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd go one step further, and say that we are, in fact, pioneers, and as such, the precedents we set now will carry on after us.

    With any luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you wrote about ~ I never thought about the fact we're online neighbours :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your blog and I love reading through it. You are such a role model for someone who wants to live a simpler life. I recently lost half my income and I am trying to adjust since I am the only one working and I take care of my mom, husband and 1 child. I have a whole list of things to try from your blog that I never would have thought of before...like baking my own bread, making an apron, planting a lemon tree...etc. Thank you very much for the time you take out of your day to write your blog. It is a great help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I discovered your blog 2 days ago and you are truly inspiring.I am so looking forward to trying so many things. In part I do live simply but do work full time in a job which I love. I still though find time to cook from scratch, tend as much of a vegie garden as I can, do some sewing and knitting as this is what keeps me connected. Like you said we all do what we can. Thanks to all the other blogger also, you are all amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig