30 June 2007

Long shadows

I've been out in the garden enjoying the mid-afternoon sunshine and pouring a little rainwater on the vegetables. We have some dutch cream potatoes, carrots and English spinach picked for dinner that we'll have with the last of the tuna bake. As usual, I had my camera with me in the SIDE pocket of my apron. : ) I took these photos in the long shadows of a cold winter afternoon.

Don't forget, you can enlarge the photos by clicking on them.


H is already talking about picking this kale next week to have with his smoked German sausages. I'll be having boiled eggs and pumpkin soup on those nights. He's been happy that it's growing so well as it's the first year we've planted it and it's really taken off.

I love terracotto pots in the garden, not on the ground but upsidedown, like this.

This is the garden right next to the chookery. You can see beyond the fence to the bananas, palms and loofahs.

Now
I'm going to prepare the vegetables for dinner and sit with some knitting. I've been hobbling around with a sore hip all day and I need to sit for a while.

Thank you for stopping by.
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Do the pots serve a purpose upside down like that? They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funnily enough I always have upside pots in the garden too. The rain washes them so much better than I ever could.

    Your blog is lovely, I come in here a lot at the moment to see what you're up to.

    Thanks for sharing your life and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the answer is yes and no, kirsty. I use these on the bean poles purely for their aesthetic appeal, however, when they're lower down I use them so I don't poke my eye our on a sharp stick. Tradionally they're used like this so when birds sit on them, the pot moves and they fly off. But I like birds in the garden and have no problems with them sitting on the pots, or wherever the like.

    Irene, thank you for your kind words and for visiting. : ) I've just looked at one of your blogs and admire your style of gardening very much. I saw your upturned pots too. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful garden. We have ours set up somewhat the same way

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig