2 June 2007

Cleaning the bathroom

Although you do the same amount of rubbing and scrubbing, cleaning the bathroom without harsh chemicals doesn't seem like the major drama associated with supermarket cleaners. When I use my homemade cleansers, there is no strong smell, I don't have itchy hands when I'm finished and I think the result is better. Supermarket cleansers seem to leave a waxy film on everything. Why do they do that? Ack!
As you can see by the photo above, I've just cleaned our main bathroom with my homemade cleaner. This entire job was complete in less than five minutes. Even our other bathroom comes up well with this treatment and it's a much older bathroom.

I think the key to successful no hassle cleaning is to NOT have it as part of a strict routine. Yes, I know all you fly ladies are pulling your hair out right now, but having a strict cleaning routine in not simple enough. I do my cleaning when it needs doing. That could be any day of the week. If I clean it today and it needs cleaning again tomorrow, I clean it. However, if it doesn't need cleaning for a week, that's when I do it. It's much easier. I don't have regular cleaning days, if it needs cleaning I clean it. When cleaning a bathroom takes five minutes, it's not a problem to clean it before you hop in the shower, or after you make the bed. It's no big deal.
Another trick I use is to dry everything after I clean. I have a stash of small terry cloths - they're just cut up old towels, and they make cleaning really easy, and effective. After I clean anything, I wipe it over with the terry cloth. It dries off the water, removes the possibility of water marks and polishes the surface as you go. Whether it be a laminex bench, chrome taps, glass shower screen or a sink, they are all cleaned better when you dry after you clean. Give it a go, I bet you love the result. Come back and tell me too - if it works or if it doesn't.
Recipe for creamy soft scrubber - suitable for bathroom and sink cleaning
Simply pour about ½ cup of bicarb into a bowl, and add enough liquid soap to make a texture like very thick cream. Scoop the mixture onto a moist cotton cloth, and wash the surface. This is the perfect recipe for cleaning the bath and shower because it rinses easily and doesn’t leave grit.
Note: Add 1 teaspoon of vegetable glycerine to the mixture and store in a sealed glass jar, to keep the product moist. Otherwise just make as much as you need at a time.
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. I know it sounds simple and a no-brainer, but thankfully you still posted the creamy tile cleaner recipe! Im such a newbie I even had to look up what bicarb was :P I am learning so much from your site, on cleaners, simplicity, everything. Its a real treat, seriously. Now, off to scrub my bathtub!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig