28 June 2007

An easy day


I sometimes have people ask me how I fill my days. It's a bit of a patchwork really and each day is different to the ones on either side. For instance, today I rose at 4am and spent almost three hours writing on the computer. Then a break for breakfast of grilled cheese on toast and black tea. After washing the dishes and getting the bread on the rise, I swept the floor, cleaned the main bathroom with non-chemical cleaners, and made up a new batch of laundry detergent. Morning tea with H at 10.30, he made the tea and served it with some little afghan cakes I made the other day. I then had a look in the garden, planted up some tomatoes and zucchini seeds, talked to the chooks and thanked the new girls for starting to lay their sweet little brown eggs, checked the aquaponics gardens and watched the fish for a while. They're doing really well now and I hope they continue to live in good health. One mass fish kill is enough.

Lunch was brandywine tomatoes and rocket on hot bread and black tea.

A parcel of warm clothes arrived from a member of ALS (for the Neighbourhood Centre) so I wrote a quick PM and did some posting on the site while I was there. My sister, then my son phoned, so that made short work of the next hour. I made a start on dinner which is tuna bake made from scratch and is now in the oven. Dessert this evening will be an apricot cobbler I made last night, and warm egg custard, yet to be made. I've just finished cleaning up the kitchen again and took this photo so I could write another post while I had a cup of tea.

It's just after 3pm now, so I hope to do some knitting while the tuna browns in the oven. Basically my work is done for the day. It's been an easy one. Uh oh, I just looked outside to the lemons still sitting on the table. I need to juice them today so I guess I'm not quite finished.

I hope you all had a full and satisfying day.
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Hi Rhonda I've been reading your blog for a couple of weeks now and am really enjoying it. It is beautifully presented with great pics and inspiring topics.
    Just wondering if you'd share your Tuna Bake recipe please.
    Looking forward to lots more info and inspiration,
    Cheers, Michelle(ALS)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Rhonda your sink is alomost exactly the same as mine same tap and filter tap in the same place.

    Your day sounds wonderful, I'm still wondering how you fit so much in.....I must be slow at doing things.

    cheers Lenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops realised my typo too late to change it sorry

    Lenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooooo I didn't realise that 4 came in an a.m. as well as a p.m. version :-) (can you tell I'm not an early morning person?). And that is EARLY! Sounds like a lovely day though and the apricot cobbler sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle, thank you. Here is the tuna bake recipe:
    Boil some pumpkin and potato for the topping.
    Boil some pasta - you'll need about 1.5 cooked cups.

    Saute one large chopped onion and one chopped capsicum in a pan until soft. We can add any other vegetable you have - yesterday I added some corn I had frozen from last summer.
    Now it gets a bit weird. Add three tablespoons of powdered milk (1.5 cups of liquid milk), 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, one large tablespoon cornflour stir all this in, then add enough water to make it a thickish consistency and bring to boil. When it's thickened up, turn off the heat and add a large tin of tuna in springwater or brine. Add the cooked pasta.

    Mix it all up, place the tuna mix into an ovenproof dish and top with mashed potato and pumpkin. Cook on 180 for about 25 minutes.

    This does the two of us for three days.

    Lenny I have no kids to slow me down. I couldn't do without that water filter.

    Susan: LOL, yep the clock is a 24 hour one. Weird eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe Rhonda, I will definitely give it a try.
    Cheers, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - that sounds like such an awesome day. I read something like that and something seems to resonate deep inside me. I have a long way to go on my journey yet but I can see I'm going to enjoy reading more of this blog. Thank you for taking the time to share what you're doing. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig