12 October 2015

Shepherd's Pie

A small group of very interesting women came along to my first blogging workshop on Saturday. I held it here at home and as the weather was warm and sunny, we all sat on the back verandah overlooking the garden. I had a wonderful time, I enjoyed sharing what I know about blogging and I think everyone went home happy. I wish all the ladies well with their blogs and when they're up and running, I'll give you the links so you can visit them.

When I was a young girl, we had a roast lunch every Sunday - and I do mean every Sunday - and what was left over was eaten as another meal on Monday night. For instance if we had a leg of lamb, we always had Shepherd's Pie for tea on Monday. My parents would have been astounded at the lunch we had yesterday. We had Shepherd's Pie. I roasted a leg of lamb and instead of having the big roast Sunday lunch, I cut up the leg of lamb, minced it and made a pie. My mother would have shaken her head at that. A leg of lamb was a good meal and you didn't go mucking around with it unless it was leftovers.  But Hanno's been having problems with his teeth for the past six months and he still can't wear the partial denture he's supposed to wear. I've been cooking a lot of soups and soft food because he has a real problem eating salads and the food we'd normally be eating now.

I made the pie in a slightly unorthodox way. I cut up the meat then ground it with the mincer attachment on my mixer; I put the vegetables through the mincer as well. Doing it that way saves on peeling, dicing and cooking the vegetables separately and they're ground up fine enough to cook well in the time they're in the oven and also fine enough for Hanno to eat. 








After making a good gravy from scratch, and mashing potatoes and turnips together, I topped the pie and it spent about 30 minutes in the oven. I served steamed pak choi fresh from the garden, dressed with a little honey soy. Just as the pie came out of the oven, in walked Sunny, Kerry and Jamie so I was delighted to have plenty to share with them. We all enjoyed it very much. The addition of the turnips to the mashed potato was to use up some of the leftover winter vegetables from the garden. It was delicious.

I forgot to take a photo of the cooked pie until after we'd had lunch.

Today I plan on spending some time in the garden to tend the tomatoes, tie up some rapidly growing raspberries, move the Welsh onions, mulch and fertilise. I have a few things to do in the bush house as well. Time is moving on and soon it will be too humid and hot to garden. If I can get these few things done today, I'll be happy knowing we've done most of what needs to be done and we'll only need to water and harvest in the coming months.  I'll take a few photos when I'm out there and be back tomorrow with another post.  :- )

What are your plans for this week?


SHARE:

22 comments

  1. And when are you planning to come over to The Netherlands? Next year? Signing your new book? Giving us a change to meet you in person? We would love to Rhonda! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got no plans for any plane travel. As much as I'd like to meet everyone over there, the environmental price of air travel is too high for me to go. xx

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking what you and my Irish grandmother called turnips are what we call rutabagas? I love them mixed with potatoes too, or just on their own. I tried growing them again this year, but again no luck. They never mature a nice root, even if I plant them earlier than suggested to give them plenty of time before frost. Well, the grocery store always carries them, so there's that. This week, I hope to bring in all the house plants, finish washing windows, harvest from the garden and do some fall cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, we have two types of turnip here - a purple top white turnip and a yellow turnip we call a Swede. These are the white ones but they stayed in the ground so long they actually tasted more like Swedes than the milder turnips. I believe what we call Swedes, you call rutabagas. I wonder if you can try the other white variety and try that one in your garden.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Good Morning Rhonda...we ate roast lamb yesterday so today Im making shepards pie with bits and pieces from whatever is in the fridge and garden. Have a lovely day. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Rhonda...good to hear your workshop went well, looking forward to seeing the new blogs. I don't eat meat, but your shepherds pie looks delicious, and I often make one with lentils. I have the real estate coming this week to appraise and list my house, so it has been a busy time, and will continue as I keep de-cluttering, organising and cleaning. I've been painting as well, and gardening, not wanting to plant a lot, but wanting it to look neat and inviting, so lots of mulching too, and potted things put about. I think later in the week when it's done I'll be collapsing in a heap and doing nothing but reading, knitting and sewing. I'm a bit bushed to be honest. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take care, Nanette. I hope it all goes well for you.

      Delete
  5. Good morning, Rhonda. Sunday roast was the norm for us too when I was growing up....in summer or winter! I too have to cook soft food as hubby has the same problem. Yes it is getting warm out in the garden these days even here and we still have some water saving gardens to organise when both of us are feeling fit enough to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I`ve had a few productive days out in the garden as the sun was shining. I have changes planned for the
    flower bed under the front window of the house, so it was weeded, dug and old rose bushes were removed. The next three days I`m back at work, but might just find 1-2 hours after work each evening to start tidying the back yard and garden, to make ready for winter time. As I`m looking after my granddaughter once a week I don`t always find enough time in my days to tend the big back garden. I`m fighting an ever losing battle with the dreaded bind weeds out there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Monday, Rhonda. More planting for us this week, as soon as the crazy Melbourne weather lets up... A few things in the house need to be tidied up as well. I would love to have the time to clean the windows later in the week. A trip to Bunnings is in my future as well, to buy those water spikes and get the vegetable patch drought-proof (hopefully). There are also four curtains waiting to be sewn up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my Mom always used to put all the leftover roast meat and vegetables through the mincer like that, and soften it with a bit of gravy. She made the best cottage pie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rhonda. So glad your workshop went well. When you said you made a gravy do you mean a meat gravy? My Mum used to make a cottage pie from beef mince as our roasts were usually didn't make it to a second day and wit a family of seven it's the same in our house. I also spent some time weeding the garden after our recent rain but think I'll get up earlier tomorrow morning. I also taught myself to crochet recently and am busy using up donated wool making granny squares for a blanket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Therese, it's meat gravy made using the pan drippings.

      Delete
  10. My girls still joke about shepherds pie - once upon a time this was the only dish I could cook. When my wife was in hospital for 3 months we had it so often that it has become a family joke. Luckily I have added to the list of things I can cook now. Incidentally I still love shepherds pie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Rhonda, I'm no dentist but I'd say if Hanno is still having trouble with his teeth after six months then he should go back and get it sorted, it's no fun not being able to eat properly and having to have all your food minced up, and not being able to eat a salad or whatever. Having painful or ill fitting teeth or dentures can bring on all sorts of trouble to the rest of the body. Nice shepherd's pie though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! We love Shepherds pie:)

    This week - thanks to your inspiring lifestyle, and that of Brooke Macalary, this is my first week of not working. I have taken a package (after the self-imposed year of austerity to pay down the mortgage completely). My husband is still working, but I realised that I was missing out on my childrens' lives by working so hard.

    I have researched your blog thoroughly, as well as your two books and I feel prepared. One new thing at a time, I say. I have quadrupled our vegetable garden, joined the local food co-op and have also adopted a capsule wardrobe to keep my clothing costs down.

    I have a new budget for just living on my husband's wage.

    I'm calling this semi-retirement, from the paid workforce. I am 42.

    Thank you so much for the work that you do, inspiring us all and making it all just seem so possible. I really wonder how many lives you have changed around the world. It must be hundreds of thousands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kirsti. This is such a lovely comment to get on an otherwise uneventful Monday evening. I'm pleased you've made such positive steps towards a life of family and home. These changes take courage and hard work but they pay off in ways you can not yet imagine. It's all ahead of you and I wish you and your husband the very best in all you do. Please keep in touch and let me know how you progress. xx

      Delete
    2. I absolutely will thanks Rhonda xx

      Delete
  13. that shepherds pie looks awesome! made one last year but used sweet potato for the topping as can't eat normal spuds anymore
    i swish my mouth with olive oil every night after i brush them, i don't have sensitive teeth anymore (though still have some cracked fillings that need fixing) my mouth feels wonderful, no tartar build up or much plaque either, I've been using the oil since easter. (ran out of toothpaste & needed to use something so gave the 'oil swishing' a go & it works! well for me at least) if he decides to give it a try make sure to use oil he likes the taste of)
    hope he feels better soon.
    glad your blog classes went well, look forward to seeing the new blogs
    thanx for sharing
    selina from kilkivan qld

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delicious! I'd much rather see pictures of a shepherds pie that's been well enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful post, Rhonda. My mum made a roast beef and Yorkshire Pud every Sunday. I mean, every Sunday and I miss it terribly. Occasionally for guests I will do it, but there's only two of us and roast is a big commitment here.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig