27 March 2010

You, me and the kitchen sink

Everyone knows where Sydney is.  This is a Sydney kitchen and it's part of Cath's home.

Cath writes:
"If you were to come to my house for a cuppa this is what you’d see of the kitchen from the lounge/dining area. We’re in a rental so I’ve done my best to make each room welcoming and comfortable without major changes, although we did receive permission to take the solid-core door off it’s hinges as it opened back onto the only set of drawers. Bad design there!

The small café table was in the garden when we arrived, but after a clean up and the addition of a couple of folding chairs it’s the perfect place for breakfast or a cuppa with a friend while chatting and cooking.

On my windowsill I have my Monet mosaic, a fresh gardenia, a little French jug I found at the op-shop, a candle, a thrifted hand-engraved wooden box, and some very happy herbs. Through the window you can see natives and tall firs backed by peak hour trucks and cars, as we’re on a major road.


This is the area of the kitchen our family of five love the most – it’s where the cooking action happens! Around to the right are the wall oven and fridge. The painting on the wall is by a differently-abled artist from a local studio. My teapot collection and some gifted wooden frames add more interest to an otherwise dull room. The cooking utensils are in a jug that’s a big sister to the one on the windowsill, and the measuring cups and spoons are in the thrifted red and white cake box.

The storage space is fantastic and I’ve been able to organise the contents of each cupboard according to how close they are to the stove, oven, or sink. This is my favourite kitchen out of all the houses we’ve rented. It’s light, bright, and large enough to have a café inside. :)  "

Please don't forget to comment. A comment is like payment for the time taken to post, and in this case in sending in the photos.  Many of us were enthusiastic about this series, so make sure all the photos get a good number of comments.  I don't want any of the people sending in photos to regret joining in.  Thank you friends.
SHARE:

25 comments

  1. How lovely :) thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this bright,airy kitchen. Marvellous what you have done with a rented home.Feels its the sort of kitchen that you could simply walk in and start cooking as its so well thought out. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a nice, bright and spacious kitchen. I love the cafe table and the herbs in the window. I'd love to visit for a cuppa, or help fix dinner.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful kitchen, especially for a rental. I have mostly lived in condos and apartments and I never have had a window in my kitchen. Something I had when I lived in apartments that were in renovated houses. I do miss a window view :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cath, thanks for sharing your big, lovely, bright and airy kitchen you do a great job keeping it so clean with a family of 5. I love your picture frames on top of the cupboards thats a different idea.

    Rhonda I love the new look site, I popped on last night and saw it, it really does look great (though I did love all your chickens eating in a circle too.
    Cheers Erika (Gold Coast)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely bright kitchen,can almost smell the tea brewing and your herbs have the perfect spot..it looks like a happy place to be..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cath our rental years didn't offer such a nice fresh kitchen. I love your little touches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice kitchen. You have well with a rental place. I know it can be hard to do all that you want when you are renting. I love all the storage you have!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've clearly made this kitchen YOUR kitchen. I love the herbs in the window - I've got those planned for mine.

    It is always nice, too, when the landlord and prior tenants haven't left you with a major negative to overcome. Congrats on finding a place that seems to suit you so well, and then adding those things that make it your home kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to see a rented kitchen! There is so much you can do to make a rented space your own. Your kitchen looks really comfy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely,bright kitchen! I can imagine spending a lot of time looking out the window.Love the cafe table,too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your window! So nice and big and lets in lots of light! Wonderfully cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fortunate you are to have such a great kitchen in a rental home! I love your French jugs and your original painting too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely clean kitchen to have as a rental property, I especially love your vintage frames along the cupboard, never seen that before, and it looks fantastic!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your kitchen. You would never know you are in the midst of traffic. It looks so calm and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your lovely bits and peices fit perfectly into your 'rented space' you would never have known that you didn't design the whole thing from scratch. It is a really beautiful spot.


    I love the new header too. I hope you are enjoying your well earned rest Rhonda (and the cricket!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a lovely bright space, great space for that cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So lovely, pristine and bright! Love the teapots and frames!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments. I've just come home from a week away camping near the Victorian/NSW border, and I've already put the kettle on for a nice big cup of Earl Grey. :)

    The new format looks lovely, Rhonda!

    Cath

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Cath. Thanks for sharing your kitchen. Its a good reminder that a a person can make good even if they don't own their own home. Your kitchen is light, bright and clean and must be a pleasure to work in.
    Joanne from TRP.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You've clearly made this rental kitchen your own. The cafe table is a great idea, and your love of hospitality comes through in your comments. Thanks for sharing your lovely kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cath, it's lovely to see your kitchen! I can just picture you at the table with your cup of Earl Grey :)

    Sarahtee

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cath,

    I can imagine you in your lovely kitchen and all the delicious thing I know you produce there. I can almost smell your cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute kitchen! You've made it homey without having to spend much on your rental. Love the cafe table. : ) Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig