6 March 2010

You, me and the kitchen sink

Today's kitchen is in South Australia and it's Sue Joy's.  She writes:

"We built this kitchen onto our house around 7 years ago. I designed it and I love it probably more today than I did back then. On my sink is my first knitted dishcloth (I am the world's slowest knitter) and the produce plucked from our garden this morning; chillies and heirloom tomatoes to go into pasta sauce and a basket full of eggs that my daughter takes up to the chook house every day.
My collection of cows sit happily above the sink as a reminder of where I grew up on a dairy farm. We do not have a dishwasher, I love to do the dishes by hand looking out over parkland and tree tops as we live high on a hill.
I use our island bench for all of my chopping, mixing etc. From this view I get to see who is running up the passage-way and in the dining come sewing room, my vintage and antique furniture (the meatsafe on the left is from the late 1800's), and my beautiful puppy Heidi the Pug. What you can't see in the photo is Sophie's handmade wooden kitchen sink and oven behind the bench, so we really have 2 sinks in our kitchen.

Our kitchen is definately the heart of our home, there's always someone in it ready for a chat. This room makes me smile and I am always comfortable and happy here.

I have 2 blogs, the first being for all of my crafty obsessions at www.suejoy.blogspot.com and for health, home and garden, www.sue-brown.blogspot.com"
 
Please don't forget to comment. A comment is like payment for the time taken to post, and in this case in sending in the photos.  Many of us were enthusiastic about this series, so make sure all the photos get a good number of comments.  I don't want any of the people sending in photos to regret joining in.  Thank you friends.
SHARE:

31 comments

  1. This is one of my favorite postings that you offer. I love having this peak into everyone's kitchen. Sea Witch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely kitchen - its always great to have a nice view to the outside from the kitchen sink. I'm really enjoying this kitchen sink series. Thanks Rhonda for continuing to host it. Cheers ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the antiques! The sewing machine looks exactly like the one in my front hall. My grandmother bought it by mail order for $13.00 (US) back in the first decade of the 20th century.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a warm and inviting kitchen.

    I really like your island.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely kitchen Sue, I do love all your antique furniture, and your little pug is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love how that island overlooks the rest of the space - no feeling lonely in this kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderfully spacious kitchen! Lots of counter space is important to me too. I'll bet that wonderfully huge window lets in lots of glorious sunshine to start your day! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankyou for sharing your lovely kitchen Sue. You did a great job designing it. It looks so warm & inviting. I would love to have an island bench like that, facing out to see everyone & everything.
    Erika (Gold Coast)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have so many pretty little touches! It looks like you're a tin collector and that's a beautiful cookbook holder to the right of the sink. I like the country look, too! How blessed you are to have such a lovely view outside your window.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is it a singer machine sitting in your kitchen?? It reminds me of my grandmothers. I always loved the look of them. I think if I ever find one I will buy it. ----Krystal

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love not only the spaciousness, but the big windows. I totally understand why you love being there! Thanks for sharing your kitchen with us:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice kitchen Sue Joy! I too have Stephanie Alexander's book, love the idea of elevating it so it's easy to use. I do like the little touches you've added here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice! I love the warmth of wood, and the angled island is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely big window above your sink......I bet it makes the dish washing time fly...Suzanne.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that huge window! What a wonderful view you must have while doing dishes!

    Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely neat kitchen - I love all your Aussie furniture etc. - your treadle sewing machine has its twin in my home ! Thank you for sharing your kitchen Sue Joy, I always get inspiration from seeing others.
    Jeni

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful kitchen, Sue thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great kitchen Sue. Our house is about the same age and we've got a similar decorating style as you have. It just goes to show you don't have to have a "period" homestead to get that "warm country charm" feeling. Love all your little homely touches. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a big fan of sunny rooms also. I love the great big window over the sink! It would make the dish washing much more pleasant I'm sure.

    I have the same Singer inherited from my grandmother. =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a nice, roomy, bright kitchen. Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the kitchen, but I couldn't live without a dishwasher. With seven kids, I run mine at least three times a day. I wish I had a window over the sink in my kitchen. It adds so much natural light that mine is lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  22. But I thought I was the world's slowest knitter! ;) Love your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Another kitchen to be jealous of...

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely and homely kitchen to work in. The island bench must be quite invaluable. I like your wooden blinds and your antique touches, too.
    Thanks for sharing. :-)
    Tracy (Brisbane)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a wonderful kitchen - lots of inspiration. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a lovely kitchen. The cabinets are fantastic! How nice it is to enjoy being in our kitchens.

    Blessings from Ohio/USA...Kim<><

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am always struck with the cleanliness of everyone's kitchens. Although I clean the dishes repeatedly through the day and sweep all the time, my countertops are always cluttered with stuff.

    This is a bright, big, lovely kitchen. I wonder if I'd be tidier in it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really enjoy these views of kitchens from around the world. Yours is lovely. I went to your blogs and added them to my favorites list. I'll enjoy "getting to know you" some.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a nice space! Your kitchen is lovely. We should all be so blessed! :) Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig