12 March 2016

Melbourne and Ballarat

We survived Melbourne. The day started for us on the car ferry from Tasmania and we drove into Melbourne's gloomy and rainy weather at about 7am. After booking into the hotel, Tricia and I took a taxi over to the ABC studio for an interview with Clare Bowditch. I hadn't heard of Clare before but she was pleasantly friendly and told me she's had Down to Earth as her bedside table book for the past couple of years. Later my publicist, Rhiann, told me Clare is a very well known singer and after looking for her on You Tube, I've decided to buy one of her CDs. She's fabulous. After the interview we went to a few book shops to sign books and then back to the hotel for a cuppa, then out again, this time to Hawthorne where I knew a few people from the forum would be waiting. Hanno came with me and Tricia stayed at the hotel to rest.

Hanno and friends having lunch in Lorne on the Great Ocean Road.

Here I am with the lovely Sarah in Launceston. Sarah was a charming woman who came along to the book shop with her daughter Audrey and mother. I'll remember our talk for a long time.
 And this is Rhian, my Penguin publicist, at Readings in Hawthorne.
The troops were gathering here. This is just before the Readings talk with women from the forum in the front row and me checking out the mic.

Sure enough, Gina, Kay, Jess, Char and a few others were there at Readings. I gave my talk, signed some books and meet a delightful boy called Kyle who brought Hanno and I a packet of melting moments, made with his own hands. They were delicious Kyle, thank you for your generosity. I hope you keep going with your passion for baking, you've got a talent for it.

 The river at Deloraine, Tasmania.

The view from the hotel room, we were in China town, Melbourne. Below is the scene inside the room. The bedroom was in another room.

I was happy to leave the busyness, noise and stress of Melbourne and to drive along the Great Ocean Road. From there we went to a bed and breakfast in Ballarat for two nights. This morning we met more wonderful people who had been driving from near and far to meet us. I love talking to them all and hearing their stories. Often we receive homemade gifts, it's a really beautiful experience.  Tomorrow we're off to Bendigo, then Echuca and on to Wagga Wagga next week.

I hope you're all well and happy, I know there are many of you reading about our travels because I've been told that, so there'll be a few more on-the-road posts in the coming days. Take care, friends. xx  I'm going to have a long sleep soon, I hope.


SHARE:

28 comments

  1. So nice to read about your trip, Rhonda. I know a lot of forum members were excited to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was lovely to finally meet you today, Ive been following your blog for a few years now. I loooove your new book. xx
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rhona. I was really looking forward to meeting you at the Hawthorn appearance and purchasing a book. Unfortunately I had to stay with my kids on that evening.
    I hope to see you in Queensland sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely to see pics of the trip Rhonda, thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful that some of your readers bring you home-made presents, really special! Have a good and successful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting mix of experiences you're having on this trip. It must be so nice for your readers to meet you, and for you to meet them and see the impact of your writing out in the world. I think the drive along Great Ocean Road sounds like the best part - loved the picture of Hanno and friends! Beth in MN

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pictures of Hanno and the gorgeous birds. The river scene in Tasmania is lovely too. How great that some of the forum ladies were there to greet you and love the story about the young baker. Thank you for sharing your adventures with us. Glad that Tricia is there too. Carolyn in Fl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great adventure. But I'm sure you'll be glad to leave it all behind and return to the quiet life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This trip will give you and Hanno memories to cherish forever. Must say I´m envious of Hanno´s lunch date. They are such beautiful, clever birds.
    Keep well
    Ramona
    Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I were in the area so I could go see you; but Idaho in the USA is a bit far away. Thank you for taking the time to let us all know how it's going!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Rhonda I was so heartbroken that I couldn't make your Launceston signing, especially when I later realised that I was in Hobart on the Sunday morning when you were at Fullers.
    Oh well maybe it just wasn't our time to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love hearing about your travels Rhonda! I grew up in Tassie so it was lovely to see you enjoy such a special place. Safe travels! x
    Vanessa H

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness! They really keep you hopping don't they. I did get your book on Amazon - it's been my nightly read this week. Stay safe and enjoy your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look so pretty in your pictures. Your smile is always just perfect. I am reading you last book and enjoying it very much. Thanks for putting so much work into a book like this. This is the kind of book I wish I had when I was early into marriage. Now, 43 years later, we are living a good life, but it sure took a long time to come to it where if we had started sooner we would be fully retired and living the 'good life' as is said.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an interesting but hectic time you're all having. Enjoy every moment and it's great for all those readers to catch up with you. What's happened to your lovely new red glasses?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Rhonda and Hanno,
    Thanks for the mention about me in your blog and I'm glad you liked the melting moments, they were from my nans recipe, thanks Kyle (and mum Karen)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely , if tiring trip ! I live in new Zealand and bought your book on Fishpond ( pre - publication . It has arrived and I am saving it for my staycation - 12 days at home , starting this Friday - can't wait !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how awesome you met Clare Bowditch! My hubby and I saw her live years ago, I agree she is wonderful. Happy to hear you are having fun on the road - Ayesha

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful post. I enjoyed seeing the photos of the book reading, your hotel view and the beautiful room you stayed in.

    ReplyDelete
  20. love the pics, but do not bother about being tired, I am doing that for you by just reading what y'all have been doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I may never get to travel to Australia but I love reading and seeing pictures of the places I would like to go!! Second best!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like a great trip. So much fun to travel with you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the updates on your travels. It does sound rather tiring, but I'm sure that your Aussie readers are thrilled to meet you in person. I'm looking forward to when the new book will be available in the U.S.

    Marie Claire

    ReplyDelete
  24. I too love reading your 'tales from the road'. It is all unique and fascinating to me. Good Luck with the rest of the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am enjoying reading about your travels. Hope you have a wonderful time and manage to enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hope you did sleep well! Thanks for the updates and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Rhonda I have been following your adventures and it looks both interesting and exhausting! Just wondering if you had managed to book a signing in for Friday in newcastle? If not listening to your radio program will sure to be wonderful!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have enough time in Newcastle, Alyce. As soon as we're finished on the radio we have to hit the road again to get to Coffs Harbour in time for a talk in the evening. Pity we can't meet up again. We'll have to save it for next time. I hope you're well. Send me an email if you have the time. xx

      Delete

Blogger Template by pipdig