3 June 2016

Weekend reading

June already!  Time moves so fast for me now. I remember when a week felt like a month, now time goes in the blink of an eye. We're getting ready to renovate our bathroom and while we're not doing the work, we've done the planning and this week we bought many of the materials. We're aiming at being as thrifty as we can be and our plan is to have everything on hand, the flat packs made up and for the workmen to come in and do the physical work.  Well, that's the plan. Stay tuned for updates.


If you live in SE Queensland, it looks like being a week of wild weather ahead.  Let's batten down the hatches and stay safe. Wherever you are in the world I hope you have a lovely weekend, doing something you love.  I'll see you next week. ♥︎

Are today’s clean-eating women really so different from 1950s housewives?
My year of buying nothing – six months in
How a good night's sleep became the ultimate status symbol
Brilliant : A special double bucket to grow potatoes This is a French site with no English but the photo will explain the idea.
Peter Cundall: Prune fruit trees to restore vigour
Save over $23,000 a year and de-stress with a few simple living strategies
Beechworth Food Co-op offers a fare deal for local producers
List of quality dairy foods in Australia
My week as a vegan
The beginner's guide to cleaning your whole apartment in half the time


SHARE:

13 comments

  1. I don't even know what it is, but please please please pretty please share the recipe for these buns. They look delicious! Good luck with all the reno work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi rainydaze. They're cheese scrolls. Easy to make and delicious: http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com.au/2015/12/the-best-cheese-rolls.html

      Delete
  2. Our weekend plans have been cancelled due to the wild weather. Though I am hoping for enough rain to re-fill the water tanks and top up the dam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are amid bathroom renovations also but it is just our half bath downstairs. My husband is doing most of it and I am hoping to be patient. :) Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing better than a good looking bun pulled apart, yes please same request as rainydaze..I want to try my hand at baking bread/buns too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morag's article is a beauty - such a truthful and wise blog amongst the sea of pretenders out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is one fine woman, Mr HomeMaker. She's visiting me today for a cuppa.

      Delete
  6. Those rolls look absolutely delicious. My initial thought was that they were filled with lemon curd and my sweet tooth was mightily calling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I though the buying nothing was interesting. I was at one of our local thrift store wondering why I was there.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I must have been born in the wrong era. I love being just a homemaker and consider it a job that requires special skills and patience and endurance. I found the article are clean eaters just like 1950s housewives very aggressive and not factually correct. Their were not that many Mums on barbiturates at all, we were just ordinary women who stepped up to the mark and did what required to be done. There are always exceptions to the rule, but the everyday average women was a good person, who did the best she could in her given role, and most of us enjoyed the challenge. okay thats my soap box for today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are in the final stage of our powder room update project. My husband did all of the work--removing an unused shower, replacing toilet and vanity, tiling, painting and all of the other things. It was no small job and the mess tried my patience but I'm thrilled with the end result. We have a large master bath that needs to be done next and I hope we'll take your approach of getting most of the materials and hiring workmen to do the heavy work. I do t look forward to the process but I'm so excited about the finished product! Hope your project goes well. I'm looking forward to hearing more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning Rhonda,
    Hope you are getting this magnificent rain without damaging winds.
    I so love the double bucket idea for growing potatoes. You wouldn't believe it, but I just planted potatoes last weekend. I have planted them in a big pot, but I love this idea more.
    Have a splendid Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay, I found the two brands of milk that I buy in the milk article.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig