26 September 2014

Weekend reading

Feeding the chickens, learning through doing.

It's been a big week here for all of us with Sunny's Sushi Isu opening, a visit from Shane, Sarndra and Alex, the early mornings trips to pick up Jamie and looking after him here. It takes a lot of energy but we love it and wouldn't have it any other way. In fact, I didn't get the chance to do my post at the usual time today because at 3.45am I drove over to Sunny's to pick up Jamie. Now he's outside with opa, they're gardening and I can hear them laughing, so all is right in my world. I hope it is in yours too. Thanks for your visits and comments this week.

Down below I've included Roman and Jana's Spurtopia workshops and open days. You may have seen them on Gardening Australia. These workshops are at their home and they'll be great for you if you want to learn or be inspired. Donations are welcome. Also below are details of the Brisbane Craft and Quilt Fair.

Generation rent becomes generation gardenless too
Race to protect Australia's rock art
Free sewing pattern for simple backpack
Free sewing pattern for Abbey baby dress
Sewing 101 tutorials
Ways to make extra money on the homestead
I love this little handmade sewing kit. It would make a wonderful gift for a sewing friend.
Knitted knitting needles case - free pattern
How I became plain
DIY starter level projects
Making your own apple cider and perry
Urban farming Tasmania
Collecting seeds


.SPURTOPIA OPEN DAYS AND WORKSHOPS.   < --- click here for more info
September and October
Sun. 28 Sep 2014 (12.00pm – 2.00pm) – Hands-on Workshop:
 Learn and make your own self-watering planter box.

Sun. 28 Sep 2014 (2.00pm – 4.00pm) – How to Be Healthy &
Chemical Free:
 Learn about our way of living a healthy lifestyle and what you can do to avoid chemicals. Includes household chemical free recipes.

Sun. 5 Oct 2014 (1.00pm – 4.00pm) – How to Start Gardening:
 Learn about garden design, how to make organic soil and fertilizers, pest control and lots more.

Sat. 25 Oct 2014 (10.00am – 12.00pm) – How to start Beekeeping:
 Information and tips to get you started with beekeeping.

Sun. 26 Oct (2.00pm – 4.00pm) – How to Live Sustainably:
 Ideas, inventions and tips for sustainable living - includes garden tour and sampling of homemade food items.

Sun. 30 Nov (10am – 12pm) – Natural Parenting Chemical Free Kids
 Learn, share, discuss how to bring up kids in the most natural and chemical-free way.

Sun. 30 Nov (2.00pm – 4.00pm) – How to Start Using the Sun:
 Learn how to make a solar cooker and ideas for building a solar hot water system – includes cooking tips.


  BRISBANE CRAFT AND QUILT FAIR   
Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre October 8-12
More details and program click here


SHARE:

13 comments

  1. Gosh Jamie is growing up when you see him standing there talking to Hanno. Such a sweet photo. Have a good week. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kathy, he's growing into a fine little boy. I hope you have a good week too. xx

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, driving at 3.45am!!! That would be scary for other drivers if I was on the highway at that hour of the morning :-) I am definitely not a morning person. You sound like you are thoroughtly enjoying yourself despite the busyness, Rhonda. Have a relaxing weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, we're opposites, Chel. I'm fine in the morning and terrible late at night. I hope you have a lovely weekend. xx

      Delete
  3. Ah, thank you for the sewing tutorials link! I've wanted to learn for awhile now, but had a hard time finding basic information geared toward a true beginner. Yay! I might stop being so afraid of my sewing machine now ;)
    -Jaime
    P.S. Happy belated Birthday, Hanno!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should be just the thing for you to sew up a couple of simple outfits for your new baby, Jaime. Happy sewing!

      Delete
  4. I loved the 'How I Became Plain' article, although I confess to not understanding the use of sheer fabric caps and organza ribbons at the expense of buttons. Here's hoping you have a lovely restful weekend after your whirlwind week and early starts, with lots of time for tea drinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my favourite link too. I love reading anything where people voluntarily strip back what they're used to. I hope you enjoy your weekend too, Cassie. xx

      Delete
    2. "How I Became Plain" is my favourite link too. Fascinating, and beautifully written. It grabbed my imagination immediately when I saw the link because it seemed to be such an odd statement. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
    3. My favourite link too, l am on a quest to dress and live plainer, though without a clear plan. I am just a person who feels fashion and bling is sending all the wrong messages. So many clothes wasted i our society, often with price still on them. Lovely picture of Hanno And Jamie, there is such great value in their time together. So many grandparents are so busy with their own stuff these days. Pam

      Delete
  5. Hi Rhonda, what a lovely post. No complaints about the early start, just appreciating the good stuff. Thank you, you have lifted my spirits, as has the beautiful emotive photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you chickens, I had some but none now, really miss them too, love your blog, so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rhonda - thanks so much for including us in your "weekend reading"!! So sweet of you. And such an adorable photo. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig