23 October 2014

Setting up your sewing bits and pieces

I love hand sewing much more than machine sewing.

Next month, I'm taking a trip to the Blue Mountains to visit my sister. I have no doubt that we'll do a lot of sitting around while we talk, knit and sew. We have plans for two outings - to visit my nephews, Johnathan and baby Alanna, and to the Brett Whiteley exhibition in Katoomba. We'll probably go out for lunch and morning tea a couple of times too. The rest of the time we'll be alone, together, at Tricia's beautiful little 1930s cottage, slowly sewing and knitting like two grannies.  :- ) 

I've just made a little gift to take. A pin cushion jar for Tricia, the same as the one I have, full of bits and pieces to keep close at hand when sewing. There is nothing more annoying that having to go searching for a safety pin or tape measure when you're in the middle of a project.

 This is Tricia's pin cushion jar.

Have you seen the book Home Sewn? I bought it last month and have just looked through it. Home Sewn is beautifully presented with some excellent ideas, patterns and drawings for home projects.  If you look inside the front cover (below), the patterns have their own special envelope so they can always stay with the book.  Most of the projects are for the home - an apron, tablecloth, sheets, shower curtain, bath mat, bread bag, floor cushion, lavender hearts etc, and a few for outside the home - tote bag, sling tote and a travel bag. There is also some interesting information about finding and caring for vintage fabrics and notions, and creating a sewing basket.

This is the book cover (above) and the inside cover of the book. In the photo below you can see the patterns and drawings envelope on the left.

I don't have a sewing basket because I usually sew in my work room and my sewing supplies are all around me, but I find this little jar-pin cushion comes in handy. When I'm hand sewing in the lounge room I just take the jar with me and I have what I need for most small sewing projects.


If you're making up a jar or a sewing basket for someone else as a gift, think about the kind of sewer the person is who'll be receiving your lovely gift.  I am a general sewer, so in my jar, for instance, I have a tape measure, an unpicker, straight pins, safety pins, darning needles, plain sewing needles and a couple of thimbles.  Tricia is a quilter, so in her jar I've included a tape measure, quilting pins and needles, safety pins, an unpicker and a few buttons.  If you're making one up for an embroider, you'd add two or three shanks of embroidery cotton and embroidery needles as well.


This is one of those little projects that even the most inexperienced among us can carry out with confidence. All you need is a small preserving jar with a two piece lid, a small piece of fabric, wadding and some glue. Take the lid apart, fashion a small dome over the inner lid piece and glue it in. It's fiddly but straightforward. When you fill the jar, be sure to match the sewing needles, pins etc to the type of sewer you're giving it to. I think it would make a very sweet Christmas gift. And I for one like nothing better than receiving a practical gift.  Happy sewing everyone.  ♥︎

Added to include: I used spray glue. Make a neat edge around the outer fabric and glue it onto itself on the top of the inner circle. Don't use too much wadding and be tidy around the edges because if there is too much fabric and wadding under the ring, you'll have trouble closing the lid.

SHARE:

21 comments

  1. What a wonderful idea for a little thoughtful present. I'm off to look in by boxes of jars to see if I have a couple to suit. Thank you for sharing.
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect timing! I love the jar and I'm in the process of dreaming up the right Christmas gifts to make for each person. Do you glue it under itself to the top of the inner lid or do you glue underneath the inner lid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I glued mine under itself to the top of the inner lid. I used spray glue. You have to be careful to not put too much wadding or fabric under the lid ring because you'll have trouble closing it. Good luck with your project.

      Delete
  3. I can't think of anything more fun than visiting a relative or friend and sewing with them. We have a group of cousins who get together once a year and sew, gab, eat, laugh, etc., and I spend the rest of the year reminiscing about it. I love the gift idea of the little pin cushion jar, and I have just ordered my copy of "Home Sewn" from Amazon! I can't wait to see what other great ideas are in the book. I am new to reading your blog and enjoy it so much and have passed it on to others to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl and welcome to the blog. Your family get-togethers sound like the best kind of family time. I hope you enjoy Home Sewn.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure you are looking forward to the trip and the little sewing gift is a wonderful idea. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhonda, who is the author of Home Sewn? I had a look in our local library catalogue but it doesn't come up in a search for title. I have been looking for those bottles to make sewing kits for some time with no success but found some last week in a new $2 shop that just opened up so will be making up some kits soon. Thanks for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home Sewn is by Kaari Meng and published by Chronicle Books. They were going to publish Down to Earth in the US at one point but decided against it. :- ( Such a pity because they do absolutely beautiful books.

      Delete
    2. I meant to add Chel, I bought this book in the US. It may not be in Australian libraries.

      Delete
  6. Rhonda, I checked our library under the author's name and The French Inspired Home is the only one they have. It comes under the title 'French General' so I did another search on Book Depository and Fishpond as I couldn't find it before and it also comes up under the title 'French General' not 'Home Sewn' which is what I was looking for. I think this is the series name. That might help anyone who would like to buy it as a Christmas gift. I might recommend it to our library as they are always open for suggestions of books to buy. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. French General is the name of her shop and a series of books. This one is Home Sewn but there are others: Handmade Soirees and Treasured Notions are two others, there may be others.

      Delete
  7. Actually French General is the name of Kaari Meng's whole enterprise: books, fabrics, and blogs, etc. Moda distributes her fabrics, which are gorgeous.

    https://www.frenchgeneral.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Olá! Tecidos lindos! Ideia maravilhosa! beijos

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great gift idea! Thank you!
    I am going to look for this book too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely idea for a present. I am intrigued by the lid tho' does the middle section come out where you have put the wadding/material? I am not sure I have ever come across a lid like that in the UK but I suspect I shall see them everywhere now I am looking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Rhonda.. why not come way up north then turn east and come and sew with me... And bring me one of those little presents.. grin.. Aren't I selfish? I do have that book and love it.. So beautiful.. Have fun, my dear.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made a similar present before last Christmas, to give to a sewing friend. These thoughtful gifts usually get well received! Some similar type of gifts could be put together for an arty person, with felt tip pens and special craft papers, scissors and cutting knives and a board.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute idea. Btw, love the blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw the adorable little sewing kit on an earlier post you did and fell in love with the idea!

    A nicely shaped fat little jam jar now safely and handily holds my sewing supplies. A small box of pins (instead of the pincushion top) and a pair of foldable scissors are in my jar. It is easy for me to fasten the plaid patterned cover and pop the jar into my bag along with the mending that I take to do while I wait. We have been enjoying the idea and the jar and contents ever since!! Granddaughter loves to go through the jar and play with the contents! I am glad the jar has attracted her interest to organize her supplies and start her own sewing activities. Thanks for your many lovely posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful finishing...will start making one soon...have been putting the idea on hold..bought mason jar last year

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute little idea.
    I bet Tricia loves it.
    I need to make one of these for my daughter who is just learning to sew!
    This WOULD make a lovely gift for a college student to take with them to dorm.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig