I've spent time every day in the garden this week. The warmer weather has promoted growth and the two tomato plants have grown a lot in a week. There are plenty of flowers out now too. Today I'll finished the planting with a punnet of foxgloves - surely the sweetest flower name of all. My aim was to get all the planting, weeding and mulching done before the hot weather, and we've done that, so from now on, it's pruning, dead-heading, fertilising, watering and a little bit of harvesting. Speaking of which, Hanno harvested the curly kale on Wednesday for his annual pork and kale feast.
Our mini Cavendish banana is growing well and I think we might get our first bunch of bananas off it at the end of summer. We've grown regular Cavendish in the past. We had about six groups of bananas here when we bought the house 26 years ago but they all died off in the droughts we've had along the way. This banana is in the garden, not on the boundary fence as our other bananas were, so it gets regular water. Apparently, this mini banana will grow regular sized bananas in bunches of about 30kg but they don't all ripen at the same time.
I'm going to the hairdresser for a hair cut today then back home for lunch with gardening and sewing this afternoon. I hope you're doing well and remaining as close to home as you can. Take care. xx
- Meteor over Sydney 13 July 2020
- Cleaning may bore me, but living with the result is a feeling I love
- 'It gives you a sense of pride': what four people learned from quitting plastic for a month
- Kiwi authors launch books to help children struggling with anxiety
- Nick Cave: 'cancel culture is bad religion run amuck' I know some of you won't know who Nick Cave is, it doesn't matter, this should be read, no matter who wrote it. I've read Nick's newsletter for a couple of years now. It's always thought-provoking and now a weekly highlight in my emailbox.
- How To Change Your Mindset To Cultivate Resilience
- The Linen Drawer
- Build a wireless charger right into a table
- Functional Small Craft Room Ideas Perfect for the Modern DIY Enthusiast
- Pillowcase nightie tutorial
- Love you to death: how we hurt the animals we cherish
- Coronavirus restrictions turn QCWA's Bundaberg Scone Festival into a drive-through
- This is my local CWA branch. Just look at the wonderful stall they're holding next Saturday.