9 February 2018

Weekend reading


I meant to show you Sunny's sesame plants the other day when I did the herb post. We started growing them in the bush house when a friend gave her three small bushes. I potted them up and they're growing fast.  Although they're known in Korea as sesame, they're not the true sesame plant.  These are correctly known as perilla and if you click on the link you'll see why we're growing it.  Sunny, and many Korean people, use the leaves to wrap around small portions of food.  Apparently the plant also produces a beneficial oil if it's crushed but these haven't produced seeds yet. As you can see in the photo, they've got a lot of flower head so the seeds are probably close.

I'm having my first eye op next week so I'm not sure of what I'll be doing here apart from The Simple Home post on Monday. Next week will be hot so I guess I'll be inside most of the time.  I hope this is the last of the really hot weather.  I'd love to experience some cold nights again.

Thanks for your visits this week. I hope you have a peaceful and relaxing weekend.  See you soon. xx



Grow your own and forage: eat better without costing the earth
Another good blog with this wonderful project - a gift for mum
Making a dress from scratch - Li Ziqi
How to make Chinese rice crispy treats - Li Ziqi
Double your raspberry crop: it’s a snip
This brilliant trick can un-shrink your sweaters
Is it possible to live without plastic?
DIY decoupage tray hack
SaveSave
SHARE:

25 comments

  1. Hi Rhonda, I would never have known about perilla if not for your post, it sounds lovely and I'm wondering if the seeds taste like sesame seeds, does anyone know. I love sesame seeds and sesame oil and always add a few drops of oil to the eggs for a vegetable or plain omelette. The mint/basil flavour of the leaves would be a lovely addition to many things so I may have to see if I can grow it here in Tassie. Best wishes for your eye op....will be thinking of you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you all the best with your eye operation Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll be in my thoughts for a good surgery and outcome next week. I gave one of my pups perilla with his dinner tonight. Some time ago, I learned that it's helpful when they eat something they shouldn't, which is not uncommon on our homestead. I always enjoy checking out your suggested links.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rhonda great post and i wish you well with your eye op xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhonda all the best for your eye op and a speedy recovery, regards Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your surgery goes smoothly, Rhonda. Have a great weekend.

    XX
    Nil

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm over the hot weather too, Rhonda. I wait eagerly for Autumn every year! We'll be indoors here too, except maybe a visit to the library to return and borrow more books. I always love exploring your weekend reading links and it was a nice surprise to find myself back at my own blog from a link this morning. Thank you for that. I am really enjoying sewing at the moment. My Mum loved her gift. I hope your eye operation goes really well for you and wish you a speedy recovery. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best wishes for a quick recovery from your surgery.

    Robynne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beste wishes on your eye operation and hope everything goes really well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you have a speedy recovery from your surgery. Thank you for the weekend reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope your eye op goes well, my Mum has had two eye ops quite recently and although she didn't enjoy it in any way, it went really well and she was so pleased to have had it done.

    Those plants look really healthy :-)

    Some great links, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope all goes well for you Rhonda, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here's to a healthy happy outcome with your surgery. Take care.

    Donna Wilson Dallas TX

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Guardian article on living without plastic has some great ideas - knitted reusable make-up pads! A quick google search reveals loads of free patterns. Think I’ll get to it this weekend, I’ve so many balls of cotton in my wool stash. All the best with you eye op xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope your eye operation goes well and the recovery isn't uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wishing you a quick recovery from your eye surgery Rhonda.xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish you all the best with your eye op

    ReplyDelete
  18. wishing you all the best with your eye op , I had my elderly Dad go through two successful ops in the past 5 years and now his vision is greatly improved so the ops were well worth it, made the quality of his life better, I hope yours does the same. We are just starting to cool down with our weather, this coming week will only be around 30 so much nicer, planning my autumn plantings right now, from Judi 1944

    ReplyDelete
  19. My very best wishes for your eye op. too, Rhonda - I had both my eyes done several years ago and still drive and walk without glasses. And thank you too for your reading lists - I always find something inspirational! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I only got to 2 of your weekend reading sites and what fun they are!
    The Decoupage tray hack is lovely --- I shall check to see what I have around the house that I can do that with.
    I've downloaded the Peter Rabbit coloring pages so I can print them out for my granddaughters for Easter/Spring. That entire sight is endless of wonderful DIY things. Love it. Thanks so much!
    ~Sue M.

    ReplyDelete
  21. All the best for your operation Rhonda. Gail, South Australia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good luck with your surgery Rhonda! Thanks for the reading links - need to refocus on plastic reduction - it's a definite challenge. Beth in MN

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good luck with the surgery Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig