20 May 2016

Weekend reading

Last week I told you about the upcoming poultry show near here.  Now I have photos to show you the juniors' competition eggs plates and some of the feathered competitors.  I think poultry shows and egg competitions are a great way of getting children involved in community life. They learn the discipline needed to show and they mingle with older folk who have a lot of knowledge to pass on.  If you live on the north side of Brisbane or close to the Sunshine Coast, the Lawnton Poultry Club and the North Pine Poultry Club both promote the keeping, breeding and exhibition of heritage and purebreed poultry. Both clubs welcome new members and take individual, junior and family memberships.

Click here for more information about the Lawton Poultry Club
Click here for more information about the North Pine Poultry Club 
 Junior section egg table.

Judging the eggs.

 This Light Sussex won at the Caboolture Show.
Old English Game.
Bantam Ancona.

Blue bantam frizzle.

White frizzle.

I was very busy at the forum during the week and didn't have time to post here.  Most of the work is done there now so I hope to be back with you next week. I've also been busy out in the garden and I had a couple of days down time when I slipped on a pea on the kitchen floor and crashed onto my knees. I'm almost back to normal now so it's full steam ahead.  

I hope you all have a lovely weekend. Let's get outside and smell the roses.  ♥︎

Off grid living You Tube
Doctors should prescribe gardening for patients more often, says report
SHARE:

15 comments

  1. Oh Rhonda I do hope that you are O.K after your fall :-(
    Take care of yourself and have a wonderful weekend.
    Eve xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pics of the birds. The white frizzle caught my eye, superb, beautiful legs. I hope you are able to laugh at your injury now. There are some weird and funny tales to tell of household injuries and your tiny pea is right up there. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what beautiful chooks....

    ReplyDelete
  4. And..hope you're feeling ok... Too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh ouch, nothing like an unexpected fall to get our hearts racing....glad you're feeling better. Love all those chooks, the light Sussex is beautiful. Thanks for the reading list, I'll have a look through this afternoon when I stop to smell the roses:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you are OK after your fall. Have a great weekend doing what you want and looking after yourself and of course, Hanno.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's amazing how slippery a tiny pea can be, glad you're okay.
    those chooks are beautiful! the large Anconas are my favourites, the the Rhode Island reds, well most big chooks... have a mixed flock of all cross bred atm with a purebred Silver Lace Wyandotte rooster.
    it's unusual beautiful weather we're having at the moment, a lovely time to get out in the gardens.
    thanx for sharing
    selina from kilkivan qld

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina. I have a silver laced wyandotte hen. They're lovely chooks.

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear about your fall, glad you are on the mend, sometimes it is a good reminder for us to slow down. I was fascinated to see all the eggs in competition. I wonder how they judge them, on size, colour? I only have four hens so usually get 3-4 per day which I'm greatful for. I adore my chooks - two Australorpes and two Rhode Island Reds. do you know if there is a show on the Gold Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine, I don't know if there is a poultry club or show on the Gold Coast but here is a link to the Queensland Feather Clubs, you might find something there.

      http://www.qldpoultry.com/fcaqi-affiliated-clubs-contact-list/

      Delete
  9. Thank you for all these websites, really enjoyed the Utube ones and the chickens. Guida
    Hope your knees are better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Rhonda, I am glad you are okay and up again. I feel for you.
    I was once carrying my sleeping daughter from the car into the house. I was wearing some old jeans that had a hole by the knees. As I stepped up on the landing, leading to my front door, my knee caught in the hole. Mother's instinct sent my arms up to hold her high off the ground as we crashed down straight onto my knee-caps. She didn't wake but I blubbered like a baby as I struggled up again and into the house.
    The older we get, the easier we are to break and mend.
    Keep safe the both of you.

    Vicki
    Trinidad & Tobago

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Rhonda,

    I loved the off grid living video - completely inspiring. I think the house can wait this weekend, I'll be in the garden! Hope you're having a lovely weekend.

    Madeleine.x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chickens are very interesting looking creatures. About the egg judging-----what are the criteria for judging them?

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig