16 May 2014

Weekend reading

I wasn't going to do my weekend reading this week but I came in here and saw that I already had a sizeable list, so here it is.  I'm happy to say I've worked hard on the book and will be back with you on Monday. Jess from local ABC Radio came here on Wednesday and did a great interview which they'll run in short segments in the coming weeks. This morning I'll do a short, live talk on ABC Capricornia to give a few tips on frugal living in response to the budget.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I'll see you again on Monday!

Lazy Seamstress tutorials for recycled fashion
Compost - the ultimate form of recycling
Insecticide use killing off bees
Freezing mushrooms
Pillowcases for every bed - an easy sewing project, with tutorial, at Purl Bee
Lucid Tree - the motherlode of free, thought-provoking documentaries and movies
The five-a-day [fruit and veg] disaster: why the numbers don't add up
Safeguarding the future of food security
The Cerigo Shawl - this lady is the most beautiful knitter and this is one of her patterns

SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Be glad to see you back on Monday! Blessings, Carolyn in Florida

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Rhonda for taking the time to do this.. Appreciate it..
    Take care, my friend.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live near a major agricultural university in the U.S. that does a lot of research. I just read that there was a huge kill off of bees in our area and now they believe it is from new SEEDS used when planting corn. They have some kind of insecticide coating that is safe once it rains but if the bees come in contact before them, they die.

    Add that to everything else killing bees and one wonders about our future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those lazy seamstress tutorials! Especially the kimono and maternity skirt, might have to pull out the sewing machine this weekend...!

    The mushroom freezing looks interesting. I just sliced and cooked in olive oil and garlic then froze in serving portions so it's interesting to see what other do.

    Looking forward to having you back and posting again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That 5 a day article was so interesting....how the marketers have abused this system...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhonda, I have only looked at the Lazy Seamstress site so far but My Oh My, what great tutorials are on there. I will certainly be going back there when I have time. Thanks for the link and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rhonda, thanks so much for posting these, when you are so busy!
    There are schemes here in the UK where you can "adopt" a bee or indeed, a share of a hive or an entire hive (the last option is rather expensive and probably more suitable for a company as it is £350).
    Kevin and I went on a beekeeping introductory course in Swindon a couple of years ago - and haven't ruled out a couple of hives when we move to Devon.
    I have also signed a number of petitions against the use of neonicotinoids and am appalled that the UK government has not opposed their use.

    On a lighter note, the Lazy Seamstress site is a lovely find and I am planning to make some to fill with lavender; Christmas ones could have a sachet filled with ground cinnamon and a few drops of orange essential oil, perhaps :)

    Hope you have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arggh - meant to say wrt the lazy Seamstress, that I am planning to make some DOVES! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, so very sweet! Thanks for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. just saw this article on The Guardian, wanted to share it with you and found it interesting:http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/jun/04/credit-debit-card-spending-funerals

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig