22 May 2014

A tale of two interviews + 1


Last Wednesday I agreed to do an interview with local ABC radio here at home. At 10.30, reporter Jess Hinchcliffe arrived and what a delight she was. A country girl from Rockhampton, I showed her  the garden and the chooks before we shared tea and cake with Hanno in the kitchen.  Then we settled down to talk for a while. The first part of her interview can be listened to here: ABC Radio. It will continue over a few weeks. I hope you enjoy it.

That interview was scheduled for 10.30 and while I was washing up at 9.30, the door bell rang. I opened the door to the two people standing there and said: "You're really early, I'm not ready."  The man replied: "We're not who you think we are. We're from the Department of Agriculture." Gulp. I let them in.


It turned out they'd read about me planting Sunny's seeds a while back and wanted to know if they'd been declared at the border. They had, Sunny has been in and out of Australia enough times to know the procedures. But they still took the seeds for checking and have just returned them to me. There is a huge problem with unchecked seeds being imported and they are potentially harmful to our environment. I told the inspector I'd put up a link to the database where seeds and plant material can be checked to see if they're allowed or not. Please use this database, particularly if you're importing seeds via eBay or any other overseas dealer.  We all love our gardens but have to abide by the rules that protect our local environments.

Here are the steps to access the database to discover the import conditions for a wide variety of goods, not just seeds or plants:
  1. Go to - www.daff.gov.au
  2. In the centre of the page click on – Importing to Australia
  3. Then click on – ICON Import Conditions Database 
  4. Then click on the word – ICON (which is highlighted)
  5. The next screen asks for the Commodity, Country and End Use
If you enter, for example, Ginger, All Countries and All End Uses you are taken to a page which then lists the import conditions for a variety of ginger etc with the import conditions for each item. You then just click in the particular commodity that you want to import.

Please take care when importing anything. We live in a beautiful country and I'm sure that, like me, you want it to stay that way.

PLUS ONE: I also did an interview recently with Yours magazine. That is in this month's edition. :- )



SHARE:

15 comments

  1. Another great interview. Always enjoy listening to you, and you can tell the interviewer is a country gal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness me, Rhonda. That must have given you a start to find the Dept. of Agriculture reps at the door. They must read your blog too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Chel, the inspector is a local bloke and must have seen the recent publicity about me in the local paper. It's good to know they're so diligent.

      Delete
  3. So when the department of agriculture shows up is this because someone reading your blog "dobbed" on you? You must be SUCH a gracious person cos that kind of thing would upset me. Keep up the good work Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine. I never think anyone wants to harm me. And we had nothing to feel guilt about so it was all good.

      Delete
  4. Of course, if the C&Q people at the airport would give you some sort of 'slip' to show that you'd declared the seeds, that would help. I've asked at the airport and they have no procedure for 'certifying' that your seeds have been declared and checked. I have a good friend that they tried to prosecute because she had no way of proving that she'd declared the (small, commercial, certified for export) seeds on entry to the country. Biosecurity is desperately important to the continuing livelihood of this country but the airport folks have to sort their act out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful interview it's amazing how it sinks in more hearing it from you not just reading it in one on your books. I had a giggle at people thinking you were nuts as my family felt the same way but now they come for home made bread, ask me to knit dish clothes etc they now get my simple living ways. Look forward to hearing the rest of your interviews & you talk so calmly on air. I just did my first radio interview with the ABC on Ripe Near Me & I sure you will hear my voice tremble. I hope you will ad the link to the other interviews as they air so we can hear more. So sorry to hear about the visit from agriculture people that must have been a shock but glad it all wqrked out in the end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. Do you have a link to your radio interview? I spoke with Jess today and she said there is enough material for 8 weeks of interviews. They'll run them every Monday at 4.20pm and she'll put up the podcast straight away.

      Delete
    2. That was a really good interview!

      I love how you said that you love being home, and that your thoughts are about your home and your life there. I too love being home, managing it, providing meals, gardening, baking bread, tending our chickens. Life is good. I don't live in the rat race. We opted out years ago.

      Please share links to the rest of the interview when they are available!

      I appreciate the work you do here at your blog!

      Deanna

      Delete
    3. Rhonda I don't have the link yet I only did the interview yesterday & Nikolai from Country hour will email me the link when edited I'm happy to email you the link when I have it. Will be listening each Monday look forward to hearing more of your journey & advice like many your story touches the heart & home, making life so much better

      Delete
  6. Evening Rhonda ... After reading your books and blog most days, It just tickled me to hear your voice on the abc radio ... to put sound in your words :) Have a lovely evening :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rhonda I am so happy to have found your blog. I thought you might like to know it was through the Yours Magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The interview sounds good Rhonda. That is such a cute photo of the two hens! Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rhonda - this question is from a prior post. You mentioned that your sister shops differently now that she is single. I am recently on my own as well and have started to shop differently then when I had a family. I find I am at the store 2 to 3 times a week. I was wondering if you'd consider doing a post along this line. Thanks so much for all your hard work on this blog. SJ in Vancouver BC Canada

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely interview and it was great to hear your voice, which sounded exactly how I expected it to! So even the Department of Agriculture read your blog too, wow, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig