3 September 2024

Growing citrus, berries and herbs

Hello everyone! I've had a good break and although we've been going through a heatwave, that will end today and the weather will be cooler for a few weeks. It's a lovely time of year now, the spring flowers are blooming, birds are visiting from far off places and from the look of the rose leaves, the leaf-eater bees are happily munching away. It’s the ideal time for sitting on the verandah with a lemon cordial and letting the world pass by. I am happy here, I feel as much a part of this place as all the trees deeply rooted in our dry soil. We all get our strength and nourishment from being here and I can't imagine being anywhere else.



Washington navel orange. This flowers now and I harvest oranges in June and July.


This is a Grumichama or Brazilian cherry, a gift from Morag Gamble. It had a few flowers last year but this is the first year I'll get a harvest. It can be eaten fresh or used in jams and pies.


This little orange tree is a Lane's Late. It's full of flowers but I expect many of them to drop off between now and when it fruits. Most orange trees lose flowers but still give a good harvest.

Out in the garden, I've been focusing on my citrus trees. I have two Eureka lemons, a Washington navel orange and a Lane's Late orange. In  this area, the lemons fruit most of the year, the Washington navel from early June to mid July and the Lane's Late oranges from July to late August. Right now, both  orange trees are full of flowers and the two lemons are flowering on new growth. Of course, spring time is the best time of the year for growing most plants. It’s the time when plants naturally put on new growth and produce flowers, vegetables and nuts. If you’re able to give them some help, with good soil, manure, compost, the right growing conditions and water, the warmer weather and sunshine will do the rest. So if you’re thinking about growing food, spring is the time to get started.

Here is a post I wrote that might help beginner gardeners start spring gardens

Another post of mine about growing your own food


I have two blueberries planted a few weeks ago. It's the new Burst variety, supposedly larger and tastier than the blueberries I grew in the past. They're growing in 50cm wide grow bags.


When grown in the right climate, citrus are really tough plants. Mine were able to survive nearly two years of neglect when Hanno was sick and I had no time for gardening. I have almost no memory of those first 18 months without Hanno. I know I made food for myself and got a basic grocery delivery of milk, eggs, butter, tea, salt, flour, fruit and vegetables but I don’t think I made my bed everyday. I looked after Gracie with her food and grooming but most of the time we were two sad sacks sitting on the front verandah - me staring into the bush and her watching the front gate expecting Hanno to walk in. Grief is such a powerful force. I underestimated its emotional intensity and the power is has to change us. It took me a long time to work out the best way to keeping living true to my values and not become someone I didn’t recognise.





The flowers are growing very well and have brought a huge number of various bees, mostly native bees, to the garden.


Here is the herb garden as it is now. In here I'm growing two chillies, parsley, perpetual spinach, rainbow chard, apple cucumbers, French radishes and green onions. I've left one green onion to produce seeds and when that flower blooms and develops seeds, I'll collect the seeds to grow in future years.


After a few years of no sewing, I’m delighted to be back at my machine. I’m just finishing a half apron of blue gingham linen and I have green gingham linen that I’ll use to make a full apron. I’ll also make a summer nightie but I don’t have the fabric for that yet. Of course, there’s always mending to do so I’ve adjusted a couple of skirts and fixed hems too.


One thing that always surprises me are the scraps, thread and general rubbish that is generated by sewing. It’s not a huge amount but the accumulation of all those tiny scraps and threads that spread out over the sewing table and floor. After I publish this post, I’ll be cleaning the entire room.


There have been so many new readers here and on IG. I’m not sure why these sudden streams of new readers happen, I guess it’s other writers sharing a post or something from my blog. I hope you find what you’re looking for, especially information to help you live a more sustainable life. And to all my long-term readers, thanks for staying with me over the years offering support and friendship along the way. I appreciate you being here.

I was going to write about food today, the cost of living crisis, ways of saving when buying food and the different forms of protein but this post is getting too long so it will have to wait. I hope to get that written and on your screens asap - it will be this week. Take care, everyone. ♥️ 


ADDITIONAL READING

SHARE:

21 comments

  1. Rhonda, Greetings from Texas! I read every word of each and every one of your new posts and enjoy them all immensely. I especially gravitate to your words of how you deal with grief while living your life, carrying on & moving forward. You're a strong woman and I admire you more than you know. ~TxH~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find your writing reassuring Rhonda. I think it's because you write about everyday life and how that can be ordinary yet at the same time extraordinary because it's real, true and grounding. The photo of the footpath leading to the rotary clothesline is so iconic of Australia and New Zealand. I miss our previous rotary line. We only have a square pull up line at our house because of lack of space. Your flower pots are so pretty. I have just planted a variety of vegetable and flower seeds and hope they are successful . I usually do better with bought seedlings but I thought I would try again. Thank you for sharing about grief. We can all learn and take comfort from one another and many of us have or will go through this phase of life. The image of you and Gracie sitting and waiting moved me deeply. Love to you and Gracie. NZ Ingrid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Rhonda for sharing your life online. I love reading your posts and was a member of your forum when it was running. Whilst I am not into gardening very much, I love reading what you and Gracie get up to. I love animals and dogs are such good company. Take care and rest when you need to. 💗

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rhonda, nice to see you back rested and ready to move forward again, I first met you on a book tour in Albury and have been enjoying your practical advise ever since. Its lovely to be able to pick fresh fruit from the garden, my dad has an orange that is the sweetest I have ever tasted. Looking forward to future posts from you, wishing you and Gracie all the best. from Judi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rhonda . Thank you for another lovely post ❤️I always love hearing what you’ve been up to . Rather jealous of all your wonderful citrus trees . We’ve just survived the “big blow “ down here . The garden stood up well but all the blossom flowers are long departed . Xxoo to you and Gracie - Jacky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rhonda. Gosh your flower pots are looking so pretty & healthy - they will put on such a wonderful show & attract so many bees - how special. I love your posts & get so much from them - seeing your herb garden has reminded me I need to buy some straw to mulch with.
    I am sewing an apron too - mine is a gift for a friends birthday. Here in New Zealand we have just had 3 of the most glorious spring days & its been such a gift to work outside but rain is trying to arrive as I type this. Thank you for all that you share with us Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having someone not around who has been your constant companion for many years is a huge adjustment and working out how to live a new normal takes time so I'm not surprized at how you were feelilng and then of course there is the time leading up to someone passing you are just in survival mode. Glad you are feeling a little more like yourself and enjoying your garden and getting back into sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rhonda.
    I always love to sit quietly and read your posts. So enjoyable to see someone that finds so much peace from the simple things in life. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Rhonda,
    I live in Germany and have been reading your blog for a while. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to post a comment yet. Something always went wrong. Maybe it will work today.
    I admire your strength after the terrible loss of your husband and am happy that you have now found a way into your new life.
    I think it is a good way to allow yourself to grieve and to find your way back to life through simple activities such as baking bread and gardening.
    You have a very beautiful garden with plants that wouldn't grow here because it gets too cold here in winter.
    You should keep up the good work!
    We are coming to Australia next week, including Sydney. I am really excited.
    Sibylle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhh ... I love your posts too Rhonda, they always seem to hit the spot and motivate me when I need it. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your flowers are looking beautiful. I always enjoy popping in to visit when you put up a new post and am glad to hear that you are feeling more like yourself these days. Grief strips us back to the bare essentials and it takes time to put all our pieces back in place again. Take care. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Rhonda, so strange sometimes when you write of your seasons, its Autumn here in S Wales UK... So reading your spring post was lovely

    ReplyDelete
  13. hello Rhonda i lost my husband 18 months ago so understand how you feel .I kept some of his favorite shirts and am now considering making some aprons with them

    ReplyDelete
  14. Greetings from Texas...and I always learn something from your writings! Just saying thank you!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for your post Rhonda. Thank you for sharing your lovely garden with us. We have just had a week of horrible wind in South Australia - just for a change, our apricot, nectarine and citrus are not in flower yet. Usually as soon as the flowers come so do the “Roaring 40’s”! Great to see your herbs and veggies growing and your flowers are just beautiful. Take care, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Rhonda. I never stopped reading you , but I couldn't send any more messages. If it works, I would like to tell you that I'm happy to see that you are feeling better and better. I always look forward to your articles.
    Take care. I kiss you from France

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for this heartfelt post, Rhonda. When you mentioned not recalling the first 18 months after Hanna’s passing, it made me think of the advice I have read so many times about not making any major life changes for at least a year after the passing of a loved one. It takes time to grieve, sort things out, and forge a new path forward. I’m looking forward to your writings about Australia’s “cost of living crisis” and ways of saving when buying food. In the USA, so many people think this only affects Americans and heap all the blame on our current government. Such a narrow world view, as if the pandemic, wars, and climate change only affected us. I know from my Australian and Canadian friends that the higher cost of living is a global issue. Be well. Love to you and Gracie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can assure you that food prices have risen sharply in Europe too. We are struggling with this too.

      Delete
  18. Lovely to have you back Rhonda. Have always enjoyed your posts which I have been reading for a good couple of years. Thanks for all the helpful tips and advice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your small garden of pots look so cheerful and I am sure so much easier to manage. The mango trees around here are in glorious flower/ bud with big juicy mulberries also in show. The Japoticaba is full of flower so I feel some jam making will happen soon. I rarely eat jam these days but love to have some on hand. So easy to make and a saving over store bought jam. Also plenty of tomato’s now, I hope they ripen together so I can get a few jars of passata and maybe a few chutney. The weather is perfect now for cooking after that week of heat. Lovely to see comments from overseas, the internet has certainly made the world feel smaller. Enjoy spring. Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for the wonderful post. The garden pictures are beautiful. I'm glad you are sewing again. Hugs from The Netherlands.
    Monique Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete

I welcome readers' comments. However, this blog never publishes business links or advertisements. If you're operating a business and want to leave your link here, I will delete your comment .

Blogger Template by pipdig