28 January 2023

Food storage - stop wasting food

This is the first post in a short series on cooking for one. If you're in a larger family, search in my right side bar, under my photo, and that will give you recipes and information about family food for two, four, or larger. But before we get into cooking, we need to have our systems in place so we don't waste food. Food prices are still rising and it's wise to look at how you store food so you don't throw food (money) out every week.

When my kids left home, I fell into shopping and cooking for two quite easily. The shopping trolleys full of groceries were gone, I was cooking smaller meals and it was convenient to cook for four, eat two of those meals, then freeze two for later. When I'd done that for a couple of months, I had a very healthy stockpile of frozen homemade meals ready to go for the days I didn't feel like cooking. That system worked for Hanno and I for many years and I never had a reason to change. But when you're solo, cooking for four isn't such an attractive option. It's better to cook for one. And you have to set up a system that will help you do that and not waste food.
 
The simple art of stockpiling - a previous post on stockpiling 
How to grocery shop for one - a good article on grocery shopping
 

This is the stockpile we created in March 2020 when we realised that the Corona virus wasn't the short-term virus we all hoped it was.  It seems that no one saw Covid coming - there were rumours coming out of China in December 2019, then within a couple of months we were all locked down. Back then, no one thought we'd still be dealing with it in 2023. You never know what's in the future but with a stockpile, at least you'll be able to safely stay in your home and feed yourself and your family. Take every opportunity to increase your skills because at some point, you'll need them.

Before we cook food, we have to buy and store it first. I no longer have a vegetable garden but I do grow all the herbs I eat and I have a fruit trees and passionfruit vines, so I have occasional fruit. I buy the rest of my food. If you're trying to work out a way of cooking for one, first work out how you'll store your food. When Hanno got sick my sister stayed with me for a couple of months so I continued shopping, storing and cooking the way I had for the previous 20 years but when Tricia went home, I started wasting food and that was what triggered most of my current changes. Almost every week I threw out a half-eaten lettuce, a collapsed cucumber, a mouldy wedge of pumpkin or something else that died before I had a chance to use it. One of the problems with buying fresh food is that you don't know how fresh it actually is. Most food at the supermarket looks fresh but you don't know if it really is fresh or if it's been sitting in a cold room for a month or two. If it's the latter, it will wilt when you put it in the crisper of your domestic fridge and probably won't last a week. If you're growing your own vegetables, they should last for weeks before you notice any problems.
 
Most of us have a fridge and freezer, most have a pantry where we store all the open packets or jars of food currently in use. If you can add a small stockpile it will help you a lot - by cutting down on the trips to the supermarket and money saved, as well as the knowledge that you can feed your family well into the future if you lose your job, someone in the family is sick or any weather-related catastrophe hits. 

I had all those storage options - the fridge, freezer, pantry and stockpile cupboard, what I added last year was a Zwilling vacuum sealer unit. I saw a vacuum sealer on sale at Aldi but I wanted reusable bags, and that's what Zwilling gave me. I've worked with it for a few months now and I love it. Even though I tried hard, I was wasting food every week but now I've gone back to almost zero food waste. It's particularly good for storing fresh vegetables, fruit, meat, cold cuts, cheese, left over meals. The starter pack I got comes with bags for flat storage and two containers - one is glass, one a plastic lunchbox. I've had coleslaw in the glass container and it's lasted almost a month so far. You can store soup and other liquids as well as dried foods.  I bought my starter set from amazon.com.au. I've just bought another set of bags, they're bags are strong and can be washed and dried after use and be reused many times.


I love cauliflower and now I can buy a larger one and know it will remain edible.


Here are the three Zwilling bag sizes, with a box of tissues so you can work out the size.


I bought this Iceberg lettuce for $1.90 on Thursday. Now it's in the bag, I know it will remain crisp and delicious until I finish the last leaf.  And no, the vacuum pack doesn't crush it. 


I had to put the lettuce in the larger bag because it didn't fit through the opening of the smaller bag. I made sure it was at the bottom of the bag before I packed it so I could neatly fold the bag in two for storage.


Corned beef cold cuts. I cooked this meat and enjoyed it during the week with cauliflower, cheese sauce and sweet potato. Now I have one pack in the fridge for sandwiches or a quick salad meal and one in the freezer for eating next month or the month after.

If you're a meat eater and you have a freezer, it's wise to buy small bulk packs of meat or chicken because they're a cheaper price for the same amount of meat on a flat tray. Repackage them at home and freeze them in meal-sized portions - for one or ten, depending on the size of your family. Zwilling makes this type of freezing, efficient and convenient. When you have your bags full and vacuum sealed, you can store then in a drawer or container like in a filing cabinet. Standing them on their sides so you can flip through them, allows you to see exactly what you have. When vacuum sealed in Zwilling bags and stored in the fridge, your food will last five times longer than in a plastic bag or container.
 



The food I eat now is mainly the food I grew up eating - it's the old fashioned casseroles, curries, stews, soups and salads that most people had in those days.  It's nourishing, easy to cook and delicious. If that's the food you want to eat, I have plenty of recipes here on my blog. Just search for "beef casserole", "curry", "soup" etc in the right-side search bar and they should come up. Most of those recipes will be for four servings, so freeze or vacuum pack two serves, eat one serve straight away and store the other in the fridge to eat tomorrow or the next day. Or if you have a Zwilling unit, eat one serve and vacuum pack three serves to add to your fridge or freezer filing cabinet.

For those days when I want to try something different, there are plenty of websites for cooking for one. I've chosen this one because their recipes look nutritious and satisfying and there's a vegetarian section at the bottom of the page. I like this one as well because it shows how quick and easy it is to cook tasty food at home.

In my next post, I'll have some recipes for you - some are what I eat, some I've found on the internet and am happy to recommend.  Of course, we'll also talk about storage again, specifically how to store any leftovers from the recipes I share.  I'll also talk about prepping food - this is for carers, working folk and parents with kids who may benefit from new ways of getting through housework. 

I hope you'll have time to change your food systems if they need changing and if you have any questions about your changes, ask questions in the comments and I'll see if I, or the other readers, can help you sort out any problems you have. So get stuck in because if we all stop wasting food and the money it costs, we can move onto tweaking other areas in the home that will make life better.

SHARE:

35 comments

  1. These bags look like a fantastic option. I have held off getting a vacuum sealer due to the plastic waste, though I know you can reuse the bags if you carefully just cut the sealed top off and wash them out thoroughly. But I like this option even more I think. We are wanting to process some goats this winter and I have heard the vacuuming packing is about the only way you can freeze meat long term without it getting freezer burn etc. We usually do chickens in small lots of 2-3 so until now have just used freezer bags as they don't tend to be in the freezer for long. It's great you have worked out how to stop things going to waste. Its so frustrating (and expensive, especially at the moment) when things suddenly turn to much in the veggie draw when they should still be fresh. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be perfect, Em. There's no problem with freezer burn with these bags.

      Delete
  2. When I had to switch from cooking for four to cooking for two, I had two problems. My husband and I would eat too muc, and I suddenly had a lot of food waste. My plan was to cook for four and store or freeze half of it for later. But if there is more on the table, you eat more. So the leftovers were rarely enough for two persons. It took me a long time to realize that it was better to portion the food in the kitchen and take the plates into the dining room. If you have to get up and go to the kitchen you usually think twice about needing more food.
    As for storing vegetables and cold meat, I have cooked a lot of vegetable soups. I never thought about vacuuming, but I will surely look into it.
    Thank you so much for all the good advice you have given for so many years now. You have helped me with a lot of pracical things, but especially with changing my attitude about life and about ageing and adapting to changes.
    Hilde in Germany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With two teenage boys and a husband with robust appetites, I learned very early to plate meals in the kitchen. I hope you find something that suits you, Hilde.

      Delete
    2. Yes, we did this too, but I got wise and now I dish up for 4 and put two 8n the freezer before I serve ours.

      Delete
  3. I might have to invest in one of those clever apparatuses
    I too hate throwing food out. Although since I hav chickens it doesn’t feel as wasteful
    As I’ll get it back in eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your suggestions on vacuum sealing and recipes, I really look forward to your blogs they are so interesting. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for writing about this topic. I've recently had to switch to cooking for one and I'm really trying to minimize waste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article! We also try very hard to not waste food, and generally it is working very well. I have learned to cut up fruit and veggies and put them on the table, that way, more gets eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so happy to see the topic of this article. In late December my husband passed away. One of the startling changes was the cooking for one! I found that I am eating lunch out and having crackers and cheese for dinner…not a long term plan. I do have a vacuum sealer but haven’t used it to prolong the life of fresh food, great idea. Thank you! This is a topic I never even thought about until now. Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
  8. Going from having 4 people to cook for, down to 2, has been a change for me. I've never thought of looking for websites that address this topic, so thank you! One thing I've always done with veggies that are left over after a meal is put them in a ziplock bag and label it "stew" or "soup" and every time we have a bit of veggies left, I drop them in that same bag in the freezer. Then the next time I need to make a stew or soup, I've already got a bag of frozen veggies to add to it.

    As always, I'm glad you're back with another helpful post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am still cooking soups and mornays and stews for six, even though there are only two of us now. We have one meal today and one tomorrow, and the rest is portioned and put in the freezer. Cook once and eat three times. Or even more. I use my largest stockpot. It saves me time in the kitchen, and we have a variety of cooked frozen food for the times we don’t feel like cooking. And my family are happy to receive some of these meals to help them out. Sometimes freshly cooked, sometimes from the freezer.
    I have gone from using my freezer for storing icecream, fish fingers, ice etc, to really using it as part of meal rotation. It’s great to use my energy for bulk cooking when I feel well, and use its bounty when I’m not feeling so well.
    Thank you for keeping on writing, Rhonda. It is wonderful to hear from you.
    Em.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never used a vacuum sealer. This may be a silly question, but the things you store in refrigerator to keep fresher ....like lettuce....if you use some of it, do you have to just reseal it to keep it in the refrigerator? Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, Terri. You take what you want from the bag and reseal it.

      Delete
  11. My husband and I waste too much food. This is something I've been trying to get a handle on for a few years now, so it's a very relevant topic for me. My husband is the cook in the family, and he is ultra-cautious about dates on food, to the point that he sometimes doesn't want to eat something that is very close to - not even past - the stated "expiration" date. A recent tool I've implemented is a whiteboard on the fridge, listing potentially "at risk" foods - usually meats and fresh produce, with their expiration dates if applicable. We've had a bit of fun with it, with big red "WARNING" and "DANGER" notes, but it's helped pull DH into the spirit of the thing as a bit of a game, and I definitely think it's helping.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lot of good info, Rhonda! Thank you. I usually bag up meal size meat portions and then put multiple portions in a (reused) freezer ziploc. As long as things are double wrapped I don’t get freezer burn but I’m going to look into that vacuum packer. The idea for the fridge storage is great.
    Plating before the meal is essential, isn’t it?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I look forward to your posts and Instagram. Thanks for all you share. Your bagging gizmo is certainly intriguing. One thing I’ve found that really helps me to not waste food is to freeze small quantities of some things in ice cube trays. For example, even though I buy the smallest jar of tomato paste, I find it gets moldy before I can use it up, so I freeze 1 Tblsp amounts in ice cube trays and bag when frozen. This also works well for minced garlic, if it is beginning to sprout. I also have 1 cup sized, silicon freezer cube trays for freezing leftover soups and gravies. The frozen cubes pop out of the tray for bagging or for single servings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a great option for prolonging your food Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rhonda this looks like a great way to not waste food. I still grow my own veggies and some fruits but like all frozen items they can get freezer burn. Thanks so much for sharing this great tool. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Rhonda. That is such a great idea. My mum who is in her 70's is constantly struggling with fruit and vegetables spoiling, sometimes before she has even had a chance to eat any. Sometimes she has ill health and doesn't feel like eating much. This would be a huge help to reduce wastage.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Rhonda. What a great article, and so timely for me as I have been looking into getting a vacuum sealer. When I looked on Amazon they said it came with an American plug. Did yours, and how did you get around that, did you need an adaptor? Thank you so much for your ongoing inspiration. Love, Maureen from New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen, mine came with a USB cable. I'll post a photo of it in my next blog. It only needs charging about every 4-5 months.

      Delete
  18. Hi Rhonda
    I don't comment often and was so sad and shocked to read of Hanno's passing. My heart and prayers are with you.
    Like many others, I'm extremely grateful that you are continuing your blog and I love the idea of the vaccuum sealer. I'm going to look into getting one.

    God bless,
    Lyn in Northern New South Wales.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the idea of the system altough I don't own one. It is on my wish list, we are saving up for it. On Y ou Tu be I love to watch "ScandishHome". She was also very enthousiastic about the Zwilling system. Good to know that you are also enthousiastic!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Rhonda, I love the reusable bags. I have wanted to by a vacuum food machine but didn't like the single use plastic bag problem. I live alone and have a rotation of dishes but am looking forward to some new ideas. Cheers Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rosalie CO Thank you for your blog. I enjoy it tremendously. I especially enjoyed the article regarding food waste and ordered the vacuum food sealer. I also enjoyed the solo receipe links that you suggested. I look forward to more food articles.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have the problem of food waste when my husband is away from home for weeks at a time. This seems like a great idea. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Rhonda, My aunt used to have a Seal a Meal. She lived on her own in San Francisco, CA. She loved it, and froze creamed spinach, creamed chicken, and all sorts of other favorites. It's interesting to me to read about your experience with food waste. I guess since I've lived by myself for so long, I have developed a system through habit. My produce doesn't generally go bad, but I eat three servings of salad per day. I think that's why. I also make casseroles, but tend to eat them so quickly that there is no need to freeze the leftovers. I don't mind eating the same thing for several days in a row. I do the same with meat and chicken. But, I like having last night's dinner for breakfast. My tangerine harvest was huge this year, so I shared some with my neighbors. They can't grow citrus up in the mountains, and they were very appreciative. Glad to hear you are cooking delicious meals for yourself. It's so important to eat well, even, or especially when you live alone.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Excellent advice Rhonda-thanks for sharing. With vegetables like your lettuce-do you just reseal the bag after opening it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can open and reseal the bags any number of times. So you just take the leaves you want, then vacuum seal it again. My Zwilling unit is charged on a USB port and only needs recharging every 4-5 months.

      Delete
  25. Thank you for this information, I never thought of using the sealer for fresh veges. I have an old type of vac sealer, this Zwilling unit looks so much better. I also hate wasting anything.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Ronda. Thank you for this post. My husband of 48 years, died 2 years ago after a very brief illness. The summer before his death we berry picked, and stocked the freezer with all kinds of fruit, and veggies from the garden. When he was diagnosed and I was told he had maybe 4 months my first response was 'what am i going to do with all the food in the freezer". Looking back I realized how bizarre this would have sounded to the doctor but to me it represented our life's future, all our plans. I could relate to your freezer post. I am looking fwd to your series on cooking for one. This is my biggest struggle now that I live alone.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your vacuum sealer sounds fantastic. I've never had one, so this was very interesting. It looks like it would also be handy for saving space in the fridge, freezer and pantry.

    With love from,
    Kelly (Mrs. Kiwi)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly. Yes, it does save space. You get two containers with the starter pack but I mainly use the bags. They use the space the food takes up, nothing more.

      Delete
  28. How important and influential is transitioning from cooking for a larger family to cooking for one requires adjusting your cooking and shopping habits to minimize food waste? Tel U

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig