4 June 2019

It's another sewing bee! Sort of ...

In early April we had a sewing bee to make aprons with the information and comments here on my blog. When the aprons were finished, I made a gallery of apron photos on Instagram.  It was very popular, I think it encouraged those new to sewing to take a chance on making something they would use and since then, I've had quite a few emails asking about the next sewing bee. So here it is. 

Last week - adding a divided pocket to my apron.

This time, my friends, it's a do whatever you want bee. It's not confined to sewing. You can knit, crochet, embroider, weave, quilt, patch or sew. The only rule is that what you make must be a practical item for the home.  I've added a few links below if you're looking for ideas.

Yesterday - I'm adding a tiny bit of detailing to a plain white cotton blouse of mine. If you're doing a little project like this, it's a good idea to load all your colours on needles so you can sew without having to stop to thread needles.

The bee starts today and will end on Tuesday 2 July. That gives you a month to create your project.  Of course everyone is welcome to join in - from all corners of the world. I'll add all the photos sent to me to the downtoearthsewing gallery. If you add your Instagram name, I'll add that to the information on your photo and you may get a flow through of crafters eager to see what else you've been up to.

It's a cold and windy day in eastern Australia today so it's a good time to stay indoors and start hatching plans. What do you have in mind?

  SEWING  

  CROCHET  
I adore these pillow cases.  I WILL make some one day soon.

  KNITTING  

  EMBROIDERY  
Here are some wonderful examples of beautiful needlework. In the old days this was called fancy work.


SHARE:

19 comments

  1. Well Rhonda, it is so cold here I can't move my fingers...and I am inside! The wind chill is something else and I believe there has been snow near Stanthorpe. I will have to drag out the crochet hook or knitting needles and make something practical. I have a beanie and gloves on so am sorted in that department :-)
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm working on knitting a pair of gloves right now. That wouldn't quality, because it's not for the home. Rats. I love your blouse; it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have a knitting bee soon, Stephenie.

      Delete
  3. I will be making a summer blouse from fabric from my stash. Is that acceptable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can do that because I doubt we'd have enough people for a dressmaking bee.

      Delete
  4. Im super interested in your original tea cosy idea, I have a couple of teapots and would love to give them a cosy to keep it warm, especially in this cold and wintry weather!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to participate in this bee...thank you for hosting another. I did sew an apron and love it! I tried sending the photo to you, but it never arrived. What's the best way to send pictures? Thanks so much! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to make indoor coats for my two small dogs, they have no fur and are always cold. They need thinner coats now Summer is coming. Is that something I could do for the sewing bee? Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your sewing bees although, I do not follow along precisely. Right now I am working on a new baby quilt. And I have set an intention this summer not to overwhelm myself with projects. So I will sewing along by hand on this little quilt, thinking of all of you as I pull the needle in and out of the fabric.

    Thank you for keeping these lots arts alive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are your tea cosies knitted or sewn Rhonda? Also, I would love to enter a dressmaking bee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to attempt some slow sewing (or something like slow sewing) and will either put it in a frame or turn it into a wall hanging. Not practical sewing but it is for my home - is that okay?
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Melissa, it's for your home so go for it.

      Delete
  10. That's a lovely print you are using Rhonda. I will put some thought to this and see what i can do. I used to sew a lot but have done nothing in recent years. My fabric stash has been calling me, however....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’d like to join in & am going to sew an armchair caddy to keep my knitting/sewing bits & pieces in.
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love to join in again! I have a few home required things to make. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a 50 year old beanbag to renovate!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that is such a good tip about having a different needle for each color. I tend to stitch until i run out of that color then reload with the next one. I will certainly be trying this method next time!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig