6 March 2019

Pottering along

Rye flour has always been expensive but now it's expensive and hard to find.  Most places have rye premix but I don't like using that, I prefer pure flour. So when I dug out a small chicken from the bottom of the freezer yesterday, I was very pleased to find a bag of rye flour.  I made up a loaf yesterday and it's delicious.  I used to bake bread every day. Now it's maybe twice a week but it's still an important part of my house work routine. Supermarket bread, and often bakery bread, contain preservatives and I'd much prefer to eat food without it. Preservatives keep bread on the shelves longer and it stays soft longer when you bring it home. When our bread is three days old, I toast it.  After baking bread and when the loaf is cold, I slice it, put it in a bag and store it in the fridge.  If I keep bread in the bread bin during spring and summer mould grows after a couple of days so for now, the bread stays in the fridge.

Chillies ready for picking and (below) soil almost ready for the garlic to be planted.  That black and white tube in the garden is Hanno's worm hotel. 
I've just come in from the garden and after a little bit of rain over the past few days, the mosquitoes have arrived.  Nevertheless, while I was out there, I sowed seeds for Golden Nugget pumpkins, dill, Marketmore cucumbers and Deep Green silverbeet. I should be able to plant them out in about 3 or 4 weeks.  Yesterday, Hanno almost finished preparing the soil for the garlic crop. All he has to do is add some compost and dig it in. Then it will settle for a few days and the garlic will be planted.
The White Icicle radishes have taken off.  These should be ready to start picking in a couple of weeks.  Don't you just love radishes - they are such fast growers.  Below: the butter lettuces are growing well and after I discovered I have about a 1000 bok choi and pak choi seeds, I cleared a small bit of the tub and threw some in with the lettuce.

Everything in the boxes is growing well. The lettuce is tiny but healthy, the Welsh onions are getting bigger and multiplying and the White Icicle radishes are racing ahead. This afternoon I'll go out again to fertilise a few things and harvest the red chillies. Tomorrow I'll dry them, then crush them up and store in the cupboard as chilli flakes.  I'll also grab some oregano this afternoon and dry that too. The oregano will slow down in the cold weather and having some dry in the cupboard will see me through winter without having to buy any herbs.  Of course the parsley, dill, Welsh onions, bay, thyme and rosemary will keep growing through winter and if everything goes according to plan, I'll save money because I won't have to buy herbs every week.  Big savings are rare because we don't often buy big ticket items but if we keep on top of our small purchases and grow or make what we can at home, at the end of the year the savings are well worth the time and effort they take.

This rough and ready mob are starting to regrow their feathers.
Also outside in the backyard, the chickens are starting to regrow their feathers after their summer moult.  The egg supply is well and truly down but in a week or so it should get back to normal.  And as you can see by the photo above, the rest of the garden still needs work.  There are pockets of prepared soil and star pegs and trellis have been removed but it will all be done in good time.  I'd say it should be finished and the seeds and seedlings in and growing inside two weeks.

And now I'm inside, I have coffee and water here within reach and the fan is on. As soon as I finish this post, I'll be concentrating on the notes for my writers' workshop.  I have a great group of women signed up for it and I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing where each of them will go with their writing.  Good times ahead!

How is your garden going?  If you don't have a garden, where do you get your fresh produce?

SHARE:

31 comments

  1. Your chillies look great, I have had lots of them this season here at Pomona. Unfortunately the wallabies like them too (odd!), so I'll have to put a barrier up. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. I didn't know that about wallabies. I know birds (chooks, bowerbirds etc) have no heat receptors in their mouths so maybe wallabies and kangaroos are the same. We never get macropods in our garden but we do get snakes, large lizards, bandicoots, echidnas and a wide variety of birds. Good luck with your garden over at Pomona.

      Delete
  2. All my salad veg plus a few others have been planted out in the raised gardens. The garden beds are just about ready for more perennials to be added. I was waiting for some rain before doing this. Now that the showers have been happening I have been madly mulching the soil to keep the moisture in. Planting of the perennials will be happening soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also planted golden nugget pumpkin and marketmore cucumber seeds! They are in my little greenhouse, and all my seedlings seem happy. Gosh your radishes look healthy! Have you tried the tropical herb mother of herbs? It is very similar to oregano and grows year round here in far north Queensland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of Mother of Herbs but having just read about it, I'm going try to find some. Apparently it makes a good tea for people who have trouble sleeping - ME. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
    2. I had to google images of Mother of Herbs to figure out what plant fellow gardener Africanaussie was talking about....We call it Cuban Oregano in Hawaii. The variegated form makes a lovely ground cover. I chop the leaves up for marinades or to put into spaghetti etc. and yes...it will grow all year. It is lovely to be reading your blog posts again.

      Delete
  4. Your garden looks amazing, Rhonda. You sound like you have it all down to a system. Mine is more of a hodgepodge. It doesn't look nearly as nice as yours, but I still love it. I planted cauliflower and broccoli, but some nocturnal animal came in while I was sleeping and ate every single one. The lettuce has done well. Most of the artichokes look healthy, but some underground gopher or mole has been munching on the bulbs. Oh well. I had a nice harvest of citrus. I get my produce at an inexpensive Armenian market here in LA. I buy some items at Costco, too. We have watering restrictions here in California, and my neighbors complain if my garden looks too impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Armenian market sounds good. I'm sorry you have an annoying night animal eating your vegetables. Happy gardening.

      Delete
  5. Our chillies are just starting to ripen, we grow the long red similar to yours which I freeze and use through the year, and jalapenos which are bottled and also used to make sweet chilli sauce. Capsicums are coming along nicely to, the poor plants are absolutely loaded. Tonight will see us having our first meal of lovely fresh sweetcorn which I'm very much looking forward to. So much still going on in the garden we barely buy any veggies at all at the moment which is lovely. Enjoy the rest of your week Rhonda :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have about 1 kilo of frozen chillies that I'll make into chilli jam soon. I've just planted out two Jalapenos, mainly for Kerry, he loves them. Enjoy your gardening! 🌶

      Delete
  6. I love baking bread but have never tried Rye. I bought a second hand breadmaker on Gumtree for $30 a couple of years ago. I just use it for the kneading bit and oven bake my bread as I prefer longer loaves. I love Rosemary bread and I slice and freeze. Rhonda, do you just cut yours with a bread knife or something else? I find sometimes it's hard not to squash the bread when I'm slicing it. My veggie garden is mainly styrofoam boxes under cover at the moment as it has just been too hot and dry. So glad to finally get some rain and seeing the wind drop off. I've got spring onions, silver beet, basil, thyme and a huge pot of Rosemary. My last pak choi or bok choi (can never remember which) produced tons of seed so they are are coming up everywhere too. At least there is always plenty of green to make a quiche.Someone gave us a Ghost chilli which has produced fruit but I'm not brave enough to try it! The same person also gave us a Carolina Reaper - I think they are one of the hottest chillis - again I don't think I'll be trying them either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here in our garden in the UK there isn't much to harvest at the moment apart from herbs. The rhubarb is coming on well under the forcer and we've planted broad beans, parsnips and lettuce in the greenhouse. Lots more to do over the next few weeks and hoping for a more productive garden this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i go down to our community gardens now & plant vegies down there, we have shade tunnels to grow them in & raised beds which make it easier, also plenty of water which we don't have to pay for, my own gardens have suffered too much in the heat here, i do try to keep a little garden going on the chook pen for the girls
    we finally have rain not much but any is welcomed
    lovely gardens you still have there
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely your plantings look. Makes me even more ready to get started. I have just spied snap peas coming up in one of the larger raised beds and also have some kale, lettuces, broccoli, carrots, parsley, garlic and shallots growing. It's such a treat having food in the garden. I also love to frequent farmers' markets.

    Enjoy your bounty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to make a lot of rye bread as it tastes great for sandwiches but you are so right; it is now impossible to find in the grocery stores. I haven't been able to find it anywhere for the last few years. :(
    Your garden looks great.
    Been having freezing temperatures here but is too warm up now for the rest of the week.
    ColleenB.~Tx.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have lots of chillies at the moment and have been preparing the beds for planting. Rhonda where do you buy your seeds from? I think I might invest in those varieties for a change. I discovered last year that cucumbers grow well here as well.Your garden looks great. Thanks, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way you use lots of different containers for planting. Our garden is tiny so I think that’s the way forward for me. It’s so lovely to have you back, reading your posts always makes me happy and inspires me to get going. Much love Nia xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm feeding the soil over at my allotment ready to start autumn planting when it cools down a bit. Hot again today in Brisbane, and bone dry. But still harvesting eggplant and snake beans, does so well in our summer. I've been picking (and sharing) these beans for months. Thanks for sharing your gardening posts. Love to see what you are planting as it will probably do well in my garden too, being sub-tropical region.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Still buried under snow in Maine, but I am dreaming of spring and gardens. So wonderful to see yours. And those chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here in southeast Pennsylvania, we are experiencing really cold weather, and the snow from Sunday is still on the ground. No gardens here! Even last year it was all I could do to grow a few things as it was super wet all summer. But hope springs eternal and I am thinking ahead to summer! I buy everything at either Aldi or another supermarket (for a little more choice). It was lovely to see your garden pictures...I feel happy just seeing things growing, even if it's only online!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Forgot to add...I am trying to sprout some sweet potato slips (is that the word?) and I'm sorting my seeds in anticipation of planting. Your bread looks wonderful and I bet the house smelled wonderful while it was baking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's as though we're living in two separate countries Rhonda. Down here in SA we're harvesting those vegetables that you are just about to plant. What we call summer veges, you in the north, call winter veges. We're getting ready to plant our brassicas for winter. New seedlings sprouted in punnets from the seeds we collected in Spring. Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, bok-choy, makes me look forward to winter meals cooked on the wood stove. Wishing you and Hanno a lovely weekend. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the climate is a strange mistress. Although we used to grow all year long and have grown cauliflower and cabbages, we find that kale is the easiest cabbage and we can grow silver beet but it never flowers. The heat kills and modifies the behaviour of so many vegetables. Now we stop sowing in November, keep harvesting till Christmas and plant up again in March for our main growing season.

      Delete
    2. I meant to add, I hope you have some time to relax with all the work you've got going on there. We have all the grandkids here on the weekend so we'll feel like we're shearing sheep and plowing fields.

      Delete
  18. You sound so happy at home. I still struggle a bit after cancer. I'm trying to get energy back and get my home back together.
    Blessings from Missouri USA,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  19. My garden is still frozen solid and covered in snow. More snow tonight. I am sprouting Mung beans in a jar in my kitchen to combat the weather forecast.

    ReplyDelete
  20. really love and appreaciate your blog Rhonda. Thank you for being an inspiration. Thank you for the recipes and tips on gardening. I love to read your blog and will come back for more. God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rhonda it is wonderful to have you back! I have not posted before, but wanted you to know you have been my online support for the last five years as I have worked to get my kids through college, with the goal of retiring next June. Your encouragement to respect the simple life and homemaking role has confirmed this is how I want to spend the next phase of my life. (though we can't have chickens on our lot size in this part of the state -very disappointed!)
    I wondered if you had any advice for slicing homemade bread? I can't seem to master the skill of even, straight slices though I wait for the loaf to cool before slicing.
    Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anne, it's lovely having a comment from you. I'm pleased the blog helped you. I use either an electric knife or an electric meat slicer to cut bread here. The slicer makes perfect slices, the knife gives a good bread surface but my slice sizes are a bit wonky. The bread above was cut with the electric knife.

      Delete
  22. Lovely post Rhonda - the title - Pottering Along" caught my eye as I am a potterer myself. The smell of that rye bread must have been mouth-watering. Alison

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig