19 March 2019

Here in my heartland

I intended to post yesterday, and wrote something to accompany a video I made of Gracie running around the house like a ratbag. When I tried to post it Blogger didn't like it so I walked away.


I grew perilla leaves for Sunny last year and saved the flower heads. It's known as sesame leaf in Korea and used in sushi and a variety of other meals. I've been picking through the dried flowers to extract the seeds and soon I'll sow more of them. I already have three plants germinated and growing well in the bush house. Sunny doesn't know yet but she'll be really pleased to have them in her sushi again.

Soaking perilla seeds with sweet pea seeds before sowing.

The days have been productive here. In the mornings I've been doing little bits in the garden, like sowing seeds, pruning herbs and fertilising. Hanno has planted the garlic, cleared the old sweet potatoes and raspberries and prepared the soil in two gardens for the new season. There is something about this time of year when we have cooler nights and the heat lingers less during the day, when thoughts of a new garden and food for the table make me think about my childhood. Back then, school and home made up my entire world, and it's like that again now.  My home is my world and the most dramatic thing that happens here is the weather, everything else is calm and predictable.  We had nearly 80mm of rain a couple of days ago and it's raining now. The tanks are overflowing and the sound of water flowing makes me feel rich and optimistic. 

Jamie playing with one of his cousins. 

Last week, Kerry and Jamie flew over to Korea to be with Sunny and Sun Ja and spend time with their Korean family; they'll fly back on the weekend. I'm really pleased they took the trip because Kerry can have a break from work and they can catch up and reconnect with Sunny's family. That's always a good thing.

The new lounge coverings.

Back here in the heartland, we had corned beef, potatoes and cabbage for St Patrick's day lunch and it made me think of all the corned beef dinners I had when I was growing up. I had my DNA examined a couple of years ago and discovered I am 68 percent Irish. That was followed by 24 percent English/Welsh, 6 percent Norwegian, 1 percent Swedish (that's my father's mother) and 1 percent Sardinian. I've always had an affinity and affection for the Irish and that 68 percent shows me how real my connection to Ireland is. 


I've been sewing. I made new covers for the cane lounge on the front verandah and recovered a little neck pillow I made last year.  When I can't sleep at night, I often end up in the recliner in the lounge room because when I watch TV it usually puts me to sleep. I realised quickly that I needed to support my head because I kept waking up with a sore neck. I used the pillow all through last winter and decided to cover it with a light flannel fabric so it would be even cosier. I haven't used it yet but as soon as it's colder, when I put my feet up and reach for a rug for my legs, I'll also grab the rabbit pillow and drift off to sleep. Tomorrow I'll make a little cotton curtain for the toilet window. When I finish that, I'll have a break from sewing and move on to my knitting for a while.


The other thing I've been doing, and enjoying a lot, are two online workshops - one for bloggers and one for writers. I send out notes to start each course, then we correspond via email and meet up twice on Skype to see each other face-to-face and to discuss blogs and writing assignments.  It's been wonderful spending time with women who I've known online but have never met and I think it's been beneficial for the ladies to talk to each other about mutual interests. I hope I've encouraged all of them to think of themselves as writers and to stay in that mindset. It's easy for new writers to think they aren't good enough and that can hold them back. Writing requires confidence and talking with other writers helps confidence grow. It's also a reason to comment on any blogs you read. Your comment might be the one that keeps someone writing, and that would always be a good thing.

I hope you're enjoying the change of seasons.  I am!

SHARE:

31 comments

  1. Rhonda, I am so happy to see you posting again. I missed you! You speak of all the things in life that are most important to me...home and family, gardening, cooking and sewing, reading and writing and of course the sweet pets that we love so much. Please sign me up for the next writing and blogging classes that you do as blogging is something that I have wanted to do for so long. Just fear has held me back I suppose. Blessings, Carolyn in Florida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carolyn, lovely to see you. I'm not sure if I'll do the courses again but if I do, I'll contact you. Please send me an email so I have your contact details.

      Delete
  2. That is nice that they are able to head over to Korea for a family visit.
    Your lounge coverings are just so beautiful! I really like the pattern you chose. Plus you your flowers look so nice too.
    We were teased with a 70 degree day last Friday and we are all just itching for spring. My crocuses are up and they make me smile.
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodmorning Rhonda,
    You have been busy, I find little and often is the key for me too to get things done. It’s been so hot this last summer I simply haven’t wanted to do much of anything. But in the last week, with the rain and slightly cooler mornings, I’ve finished a Quilt and started a new one. I’m happy with that. If this weekend stays cool we’re going to tackle some big jobs in the garden, thank goodness for the rain, our new tanks are chock a block that means we can go ahead and plant out for autumn. Have a lovely day, Fi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rhonda, That pink flannel neck pillow that you made is so pretty. And Your flowers are amazing! They look so healthy and colorful. Following what you taught us in your writing course for bloggers got me into the Google search engines. It's thanks to you, and your inside knowledge. It seemed like a steep hill to climb, but it is all happening. Thanks again. You are a master teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! You have a very interesting blog so I think it will go from strength to strength. ❤️

      Delete
  5. P.S. Your blog was doing weird things. It had a new post listed, but was showing one I had already seen when I clicked on DTE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's explained in the first sentences of the new post, Steph. I tried to upload a video of Gracie but when Blogger couldn't deal with it, I scrapped the post.

      Delete
  6. Good morning Rhonda.We are needing rain in southern Victoria,the tank is dry and surrounding farms and verges are dust bowls.Thanks for the sweet pea reminder I will get them in this week. Love the lounge covers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought we were one of the last districts to still be dry but the more I hear, the more I realise it's still dry in most places. I hope you get rain soon, Jenny. I made the lounge covers with two sets of doona covers with pillow cases I got on half price special at Ikea. It's dark enough not to show the occasional mark but bright enough to look good.

      Delete
  7. I always like reading about your gentle and precious life.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Home is such an important place, especially for children I think. It is a place they can be themselves. Mind you its just as important for adults too.

    It has been wet here too, which is wonderful as it means things are green but hard because of the mud while we are camping. This weekend we dragged a couple of big hardwood logs into place to create a long garden bed, which will be our first vegetable bed. We have laid down black plastic to rot the pasture then we will add manure and turn it all over ready to plant out. The ground is compacted from cattle over the years. I have such a deep desire to put roots down here, in both creating a home and a garden.

    I really enjoyed the writing course Rhonda, and look forward to the next skype in a couple of weeks.

    xx
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those day to day things, the routine is calming. Your new couch covers are so pretty and I do like the bunnies on your neck pillow, soft and sweet to fall asleep with. Have a lovely week Rhonda :) Kate from Tassie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your new lounge covers look so pretty. That is a good idea using doona covers to make them. I love your cute bunny neck pillow I could do with one like it. Did you just draw a pattern for it?
    I'm sure Jamie was excited to see his mum again. Your flowers are so lovely and cheerful, have an enjoyable rest of the week. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Theresa, I just drew around the shape, adding a couple of inches. When I sewed it, I simply cut away the extra fabric.

      Delete
  11. Rhonda those seat covers are just beautiful and I love your choice of fabric. It's lovely to hear of your rain and full tanks. Still no rain here in South Australia and I almost can't imagine what rain feels and smells like, it's been so long since it happened. Our new pup will get the fright of his life, at four months old, he's never seen rain. I'm so pleased I've joined your writer's course, and if you were thinking of doing more of them I could highly recommend it. Our Skype session was amazing, meeting the other ladies and you. I think I was a little bit starstruck! But gosh, you have motivated me to new heights, which can't be a bad thing. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally. I hope you get rain soon. We need more, we've only had a third of what we should have had and the wet season is almost over. We had a great Skype session. I think you'll do well with your writing so I'm glad you're motivated.

      Delete
  12. Your blog makes me feel so peaceful. Love the planter, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cane setting looks so great Rhonda. And I made your carrot cake on the weekend and it was a big hit with everyone! So thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your nanna-nap pillow is very cute! ... Well, 1% Sardinian is a curious result - it could only suggest one individual on your tree but did you know you had that ancestry? I'm very keen to do this test one of these days as we have a big blank on my maternal grandfather's side as he was adopted without records as a baby. Nobody really knows where he's from and he had one of those indeterminate looks, like he could be from most anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very curious. I've never heard anyone in our family mention Sardinia. I have very pale skin, with green eyes and had pure white hair until I was 12. If you have the chance, get the test done. It's so interesting.

      Delete
  15. I am enjoying our change of seasons. We had a harsher winter than usual, so Spring is so, so welcome here! I can open my windows in the mornings and listen to the birds sing their songs, then while listening to them look out and see what wildflowers are blooming on the property. Those wildflowers are telling me it's time to get outside and tend to my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Our son had his DNA done on a short test that basically just showed the predominant countries we came from (his test would show both our sides, of course). Funny, it was Portugal...not a shred of a whisper ever in our kin of that. Of course, we have been in the USA since the Mayflower and before (we also have some Cherokee blood). My surname was Irish and yes, I do feel that connection too, as well as to the other countries we know we are from. Funny how that happens and we never had a clue from family lore. Enjoy your sharing. You are certainly a productive woman...I have been in a slump for some time (but then grief is part of my life due to the ongoing evil happening to some of our grandchildren...we are doing all we can, but some things we cannot stop it seems). It is nice to come to blogs like yours and think of other things!! Thanks!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D, try to get out of that slump because your grandchildren need you. I'm so sorry that's happening. Take care, love. Hugs xx

      Delete
  17. That garlic shot on the gingham tablecloth is very heartening and homely Jean. I love it. As a painter I enjoy looking at interesting shapes - but I especially love nature's shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good morning Rhonda. I don't have an Instagram account but I can see your posts there. Since I am unable to comment there I thought you wouldn't mind if I did so here.
    I really value your post on ageing gracefully and with dignity. I agree whole heartedly and found it so refreshing and empowering. Thank you.
    NZ Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ingrid. I wish more older people would talk realistically about ageing. xx

      Delete
  19. Why is it that as we get older it gets harder to sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  20. the linen bag is lovely. The embroidery on it is such a pretty touch. You sell these by chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Faith, I don't sell them. They're very easy to make. Just draw a pattern on your linen with a pencil, then stitch. I use mainly long stitch and on this bag, French knots.

      Delete

Blogger Template by pipdig