22 February 2019

Seven years old? Really!

My first book, Down to Earth, is seven years old today, it was published 22 February, 2012. My editor, Jo Rosenberg, said she thought the book would sell for a long time and yes, it's still in the book shops and selling well. It helped me get to know so many people I would never have met otherwise and opened up many opportunities. Penguin sent my sales figures yesterday. So far, Down to Earth has sold 23,056 copies. 

Just to remind myself how exhausted Hanno and I were, I'm reprinting the itinerary and publicity Penguin arranged for the book launch.  Crazy days!

Down to Earth Itinerary and Publicity

PRINT COVERAGE

AUSTRALIAN HOME BEAUTIFUL MAGAZINE NATIONALLY
Extract to appear in May issue

THE SUNDAY TELEGRAPH NEWSPAPER NSW
THE SUNDAY HERALD SUN NEWSPAPER VIC
THE SUNDAY MAIL NEWSPAPER QLD
THE SUNDAY MAIL NEWSPAPER SA
THE SUNDAY TIMES NEWSPAPER WA
body+soul

AUSTRALIAN COUNTRY STYLE MAGAZINE NATIONALLY
Review to appear in April issue

HOBART MERCURY NEWSPAPER TAS
Interview to appear February 28

INSIDE OUT MAGAZINE NATIONALLY
Review to appear in the March issue

COSMOPOLITAN MAGAZINE NATIONALLY
Review to appear in the April issue

GARDENING AUSTRALIA MAGAZINE NATIONALLY
Review to appear in the April issue

MADISON MAGAZINE NATIONALLY
Review to appear in May issue

SHOP TILL YOU DROP MAGAZINE NATIONALLYl
Review to appear in the April issue

THE WEST AUSTRALIAN
Review to appear in March

FERNWOOD MAGAZINE
Review to appear in April issue

AAP NEWSWIRE
Story to appear 22 February

THE AGE NEWSPAPER VIC
Epicure
Review to appear in February

CANBERRA TIMES NEWSPAPER
Review to appear in March

ORGANIC GARDNER MAGAZINE
Review to appear in May issue

ONLINE

Booktopia
10 Terrifying Questions

Hoopla
Wendy Harmer

Rachel Smith
RealityCheck

PUBLICITY

CHANNEL SEVEN NATIONALLY
Today Tonight
At: Rhonda’s House, Sunshine Coast, Hinterland

12:30pm Vic COMMERCIAL RADIO 89.9 LIGHT FM MELBOURNE
(11:30am Qld) Afternoons
Interviewer: Clayton Bjelan
PRE-RECORD

11:00am AAP NEWSWIRE
Interviewer: Jennifer Ennion

FRIDAY 24 FEBRUARY
2GB Chris Smith
2.10pm

3PM
Gleebooks signing
Glebe Point Road, Glebe

MONDAY 27 FEBRUARY
MELBOURNE

2:00pm Vic ABC RADIO GOLD & SUNSHINE COAST FM
(1:00pm QLD) Mornings
PRE-RECORD

3:30pm Vic 891 ABC RADIO ADELAIDE
(3:00pm SA) Afternoons
Interviewer: Sonya Feldhoff
LIVE

9:00am CHANNEL TEN NATIONALLY
Interviewers: Gorgi Coghlan & Yumi Stynes
LIVE

10:00am Arrive for
10:05am 666 ABC RADIO CANBERRA
Mornings Interviewer: Alex Sloan LIVE

11:00am 774 ABC RADIO MELBOURNE
tbc The Conversation Hour Interviewer: Jon Faine
LIVE

5:00pm Vic 720 ABC RADIO PERTH
(2:00pm WST) Afternoons
Interviewer: Gillian O’Shaunessy
LIVE

4:45pm Vic COMMERCIAL RADIO 5AA BRISBANE
(3:45pm SA) Drive
Time tbc Interviewer: Amanda Blair
LIVE

10:00pm Vic 612 ABC RADIO BRISBANE
(9:00pm QLD) Evenings
Interviewer: Peter Gooch

11:00am BOOKSTORE VISIT & STOCK SIGNING
Book City Ballarat

1:00pm BOOKSTORE VISIT & STOCK SIGNING
Stoneman’s Book Castlemaine

2:30pm BOOKSTORE VISIT & STOCK SIGNING
Collins Bendigo

THURSDAY 1 MARCH
ALBURY WODONGA - CANBERRA

9:00am Store visit Albury-Wodonga

12 noon Leave for Canberra

4:00pm Arrive in Canberra
4:30pm Store visit Canberra
Paperchain Canberra

FRIDAY 2 MARCH
WOLLONGONG

Springwood: Turning Page

Blackheath: Gleebooks

WEDNESDAY 14 MARCH
SUNSHINE COAST

6:00pm BOOK EVENT: ROSETTA BOOKS - the Queensland launch
At: 30 Maple Street, Maleny

 I think this is Ballarat.

Packing food for the day ahead at the luxurious Olsen Hotel in Melbourne.
Settling into our room at the Olsen. This is the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in.
 Lunch on the road.
 Meeting Lisa at Ballarat (I think). I'd know Lisa for years but had never met her. There were so many of these first meetings of people I already knew.  Hello Lisa!
 Being interviewed by Richard Stubbs in Melbourne.
Getting from one place to the next - map, GPS and THE itinerary.

I don't remember a lot about the day-to-day activities but I do remember a day of radio interviews at the ABC building in Melbourne and I remember driving between towns and having to pull over for interviews on the side of the road.

I want to say a special hello to everyone Hanno and I met on that book tour.  We were out of our comfort zone and tired most days but so many people came to meet us and brought us home made gifts, it made us feel at home in every town and loved by everyone we met.  Thank you. xx

And to everyone who bought Down to Earth, thank you. I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.


SHARE:

44 comments

  1. Hi Rhonda, I remember when your book first came out; I ordered a copy and it was $50.00 to send to California. That was a lot of money for me at that time, but it was totally worth it. It is inspiring to see you reaching your goals. Your blog and book definitely have helped me and so many others in numerous ways. I am now comfortable making soap, knitting my own clothes and gifts, growing food, and saving money. Look how many people you have helped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's beautiful and such inspiring feedback. Made me smile!

      Delete
  2. Good morning Rhonda,
    I have both your books and refer to them often, they are amoungst my most cherished books on my cookbook shelf. You have influenced a huge number of people that span generations, looking back at what you and Hanno have achieved must make you both very proud. Have a lovely day at your place,
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhonda, I still remember how excited I was when my copy of the book finally arrived in the post. It's an absolute gem and I imagine it will keep on selling as the message is timeless.

    Madeleine.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! What a wonderful journey you've been on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember those days, Rhonda. You were so very busy and pleased to be home once again but your books are still going strong as they are filled with such 'down to earth' wisdom 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chel. Yes, walking in the front door was a real relief for both of us. I think we slept the next day through.

      Delete
  6. Yes that is Ballarat and damn it, I missed you ! BTW that itinerary is exhausting to read lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my best buys ever. I remember that time too and followed your progress. I got concerned near the end because I think we all cared about the inevitable tiredness. You both reached so many people and won their hearts and minds. Congratulations for the ongoing sales. It doesn't surprise me as it is a worthy classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that is a lovely comment. xx

      Delete
    2. Hi Rhonda, I made that comment from my phone and didn't realise it would publish as unknown.
      NZ Ingrid

      Delete
    3. Ahhh, it was you, Ingrid. I sat here wondering for a while. 😳 Thanks for coming back. xx

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the best book ever. I would not be on this journey and close to realizing my dream had it not been for you. I didn't know that being the queen of your home was a viable option in life. It was only something that your mother did, because those were what the times dictated. Surprise! I can be whatever I want to be and if it's at home, then so be it. You are very much appreciated, Rhonda. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really pleased the book encouraged you to be your true self. Thank you for a lovely comment. xx

      Delete
  9. Hard to believe its been 7 years already. Your books are amongst my most cherished books on my bookshelf, that I know I will never part with on any decluttering sprees! Thank you so much for your beautiful books and eloquent writing here on the blog. You have added so much richness, knowledge and enjoyment to my life. Love Kelly xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly. Getting to know you and other readers has been one of the joys of being an author for me. xx

      Delete
  10. i found a copy in my local library here in adelaide and was delighted :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Rhonda, what a delight it was to see your post this morning. It took me by surprise for how long ago it was judged by how big that little baby on the table is now! The first bookshop photo is indeed Ballarat but the shop has now moved to a few doors down from the cafe we went into. Wishing you and Hanno all the best, much love, Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lisa! I hoped you'd see the post. I guess that "baby" is at school now. Much love, Rhonda. xx

      Delete
  12. I'm exhausted just reading your itinerary.
    Yes, I bought the book and it has a special place on my bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Rhonda, I couldn't get your first book in the UK but picked up a copy when visiting my sons in Perth. Its been one of the most used books and always my first choice when I'm stuck with a household problem. Loved your other book too. Did you just do one of the little penguin books as well or have I missed some? Donnax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, that's a long way to come to buy a book. ;- ) I only did one small one, a Penguin Special, which was going to be a series of 6. However, I then agreed to do a big book, The Simple Home, and didn't go back to the series.

      Delete
  14. Wow those days where definitely busy, busy for you and Hanno looking at that schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have both your hardcopy books too. They are just wonderful....and yes what a journey you have both been on. Thank you for believing enough in what you have done over the year to share it with so many by writing your books. We have certainly loved hearing and putting into practice your wise ways.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats, congrats! That was quite the busy schedule. Glad the books are still selling well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow time sure flies, doesn't it. I believe I started reading your blog as you were writing your book. I recall that you had both your Airedales (I had Airedales too!) That tour must have been exhausting. I did not get the book at the time as I was waiting for it to be available in the USA, but I did eventually get it and The Simple Home. Both are terrific books!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It goes to show that "just regular" people can make a difference. I think people really respond to that------you don't have to be a expert, just have some common sense and some real work providing experience to build on.

    Congratulations on all you've accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Rhonda, I have your book, bought while i was living in Texas, USA. It's been read, by me, multiple times. So insightful, appropriate and meaningful for me. Thank you Rhonda for writing this book. Elaine Christian

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't commented for a while Rhonda, but I always enjoy reading your posts so much. I have both of your books,your books and your posts have taught me so much over the years. I am so grateful for you and all that you do.As a stay at home Mum of three children and living on a farm the skills you have taught me over the years have been many,thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hard to believe it's been that long! I remember showing my husband where to order it (he asked me for gift ideas) and he still refers to it as "the book that shipped from the other side of the world." I still refer to both your books and still enjoy them very much!

    ReplyDelete
  23. CONGRATULATIONS!
    7 years! WOW that went fast! i had only just found you at the ends of your writing DTE? i think as i remember reading your touring for the books promotion. what a trip!
    i love the book but as yet to own one, i keep gifting them to friends who absolutely love them! my girls were the 1st to receive the DTE book & my eldest gifted me The Simple Home. i still have a few friends to benefit from the book yet before i get myself a permanent copy.
    your blog saved me too, i no longer think of the housework as 'slave work' & i had put more into my gardens not just ornamentals. the heat this year has almost killed off everything except a few herbs & some geraniums.
    it's been a wonderful adventure & hope you still have more to come
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  24. My copy sits pride of place in my kitchen :) It is like a helpful little reminder whenever I pass it, that yes a simple homemade life is purposeful and worthy. At times it can be a lot of work (when the garden is producing big time), but it's good satisfying work. Thank you for all your inspiration and great books !!! ~ Linda

    ReplyDelete
  25. 7 years have flown by. I have both of your books and they are an inspiration. Thanks and all the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. A great achievement Rhonda, I am tired just reading about your tour! Many thanks for all your recipes and knowledge. I have both of your books and I'm always reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have begun re-reading Down to Earth and A Simple Home. I learn something new every time I read...

    ReplyDelete
  28. And I still read it every year as an act of reconnection with what I want my year to be like when the new year starts. Thanks again for writing it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations Rhonda,on writing your book(s) full of such timeless wisdom. You have inspired so many people including me. All the very best for the future. Best wishes, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  30. I bought my books intending them to be heirlooms ... that my grandkids (one day when I have some) would grow up with them and I could pass them on.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy, happy! A tiring but exciting time.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You know what impresses me? That book has been quite the good little $$$ earner and yet you still choose to live the simple life. Clearly it is about more than trying to make ends meet, it is also about living an ethical and sustainable life style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The life we live has never been about money - either dollars going out or coming in. The books are a reflection of how we live and I wrote them to share what was working for us in the hope that some of it would work for others as well. During the years I've written my blog, I've been offered a 4 wheel drive, a trip to Asia and much more, I rejected it all. Not to set the example I hope my books set, but because those things don't hold any interest for me. We want to continue living simply and sustainably and we can do that without all the flim flam.

      Delete

Blogger Template by pipdig