15 February 2019

Baked tortillas (flat bread) for lunch

Hanno and I generally eat the food we grew up with. We feel satisfied and comforted by that kind of food and we know it's preservative and additive-free and contains a lot of fibre and nutrients.  But we also like spicy food and since Sunny came into our lives she has opened up the dazzling world of Korean food for us.  We're lucky here because we have three chefs in the family so usually there is no mediocre food served. My mum taught me to cook and although I'm not a trained cook, I think I'm a pretty good home cook.  ðŸ˜‡


I'm working on my upcoming writing and blogging workshops this week so I didn't want to spend too much time cooking yesterday. I had 500g topside mince (lean ground beef), I had salad, sour cream and cheese. So yesterday we had a variation on one of our favourite meals, tacos, using homemade flatbread  from the freezer instead of tortillas. I made baked tortillas and they were delicious.  Luckily we still have enough for today's lunch. I always try to cook enough for two meals so I only have to cook every second day.


  FLAT BREAD  

Recipe from The Simple Home book.

This recipe makes 6 but if you make a larger batch to use for school and work lunches, you can freeze them to make wraps.
  • 250 g/8 oz self-raising flour, plus a little extra for dusting
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 250 g/8 oz natural yoghurt
  1. Place all the ingredients into a food processor and pulse until a dough forms. If the dough is too wet, add a small amount of flour and pulse again. Remove the dough and place it on a floured board.
  2. Roll into a long sausage shape and cut into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a disc and then flatten it using a rolling pin. The discs need to be very thin and about the size of a saucer (small) or a bread and butter plate (large).
  3. Place one disc at a time into a pre-heated, non-stick pan and cook each side for about 2 minutes on medium heat. When it’s ready, it will have small charred spots on each side and will smell baked. Place on a cake rack to cool.
If you want to freeze the leftovers, wait until they're completely cold, place a piece of baking paper between each flat bread and put all of them in a plastic bag. Seal and store in the freezer.

My filling was the same one I make for tacos but any filling you like will be fine for this. Spicy chicken is delicious and if you're vegan or vegetarian, try diced roast pumpkin and barley or a spicy bean and tomato filling.

  FILLING  
  • 500g topside mince
  • 1 can beans - I used butter beans but you can use any beans you have in the pantry, even baked beans
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, grated
  • ½ red capsicum, finely chopped
  • ½ medium red chilli, finely chopped
  • 2 level tablespoons Mexican chilli spice mix - recipe here
  • 2 very ripe tomatoes - chopped, or a tin of tomatoes
  • 150 mls water
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. On medium-high heat, fry the mince and break it up as it's cooking. 
  2. When the mince is cooked, add the onion, garlic, capsicum and chilli and combine. Cook for one minute.
  3. Add the spice mix, mix through and cook for a few minutes to develop the colour. Stir so it doesn't burn.
  4. Add the tomatoes and water.  Stir in, bring to the boil and turn the heat down to low.
  5. Taste for seasoning, add salt and pepper if needed. 
  6. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes to prevent it sticking.
  7. It's ready when the liquid has almost evaporated and the filling is starting to dry out. 
  8. Take it off the heat and allow to cool down a bit.



Twenty minutes before you want to eat, place 2 tablespoons of filling on a flat bread, roll it up and place in a greased baking tray.  Continue on until the tray is full. Sprinkle grated cheese over the rolls and place in a preheated oven at 180C for about 15 minutes.

Serve with a chopped salsa or salad, sour cream and chilli jam/sauce.

I hope you try it.
SHARE:

26 comments

  1. Oh these sound delicious. I wonder if I could just fry them in a deep pan with a lid to melt the cheese? Then serve with a salad. The boys are asking for tacos but tortillas may just be easier.


    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing you don't have a functioning oven. Do you have a camp oven or dutch oven? If so, you could bake them in one of those ovens. I'm sure the boys would like them, they're just soft tacos.

      Delete
    2. Yep we have a camp oven, though it’s been total fire ban. We might experiment over the weekend. I was unsure how to cook our usual taco shells without an oven, I’m not quite thinking straight yet with all the changes. An gas oven is a high priority once things are set up over the coming month. Xx

      Delete
    3. Emm, you can cook them in your camp oven on the stove top, if the camp oven fits. Heating the camp oven will heat it like an oven and whatever you put in there should cook as well as melt the cheese on top. Don't use an oven dish, put down a layer of foil, covered with baking paper. Put your rolls on there and seal it up without touching the top layer. Heat the camp oven first, with the lid on, then take the lid off, put the foil parcel in and turn the heat down to low. Lid on and check as it's cooking. The only danger is burning the bottom. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Oh, that sounds delicious. I have made chewy flour tortillas a couple of times. I also enjoy making enchiladas. Your version of soft tacos looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rhonda, I've only just discovered that you have returned to blogging, and have read through all of your new posts. Such a lot of good ideas, but also just your usual warm and welcoming self; thank you.

    And why had I never thought of saving the extra pickling liquid for salads? I will now.

    I've been making zucchini relish, and stashing huge quantities of baked plums (for eating with muesli) in our freezer. Soon it will be time to start looking for cheap tomatoes for making various sauces for the pantry and freezer.

    I'm so pleased that you are blogging again.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like look of all those onions
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds absolutely delicious. A great way to use up some of my home made yoghurt too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pleasant surprise I had last night here in cold Indiana, USA when I was at our local library looking for homesteading books (my head is filled with all thinks garden as I wait out the cold for spring) when what do I spot on the shelf? A Simple Home! I have your other book, but not this one, so I checked it out and it will now be my nighttime reading in front of the fire, filling my head with even more plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's incredible, Kris. Thanks for telling me. I know my books are on sale all over the place but for some reason, knowing that one of my books is in a library so far away just fills me with joy. I hope you find things to try and enjoy in there. xx

      Delete
    2. Hi Kris and Rhonda, the books are in our library too in Western Australia...whenever I see them on the shelf I stand them up on an empty so that more ppl can see them!!! lol xx

      Delete
    3. Thanks Sue. Between the three of us, we'll take over the world. 🙂

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this recipe - it looks really simple so I will give it a go. Tortillas are so useful for a quick lunch or dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good - will put the recipe in my folder to try. Also, for some reason noticed today that your profile says you are Botox-free - good to know ;) Beth in MN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth! Yes, botox-free, and no frills. 🙃

      Delete
  9. We love a little spice in things and burritos often feature on the menu, love this idea and they look so good. Like the look of the spice mixture as well, certainly much better than the purchased packet variety. Take care Rhonda x Kate from Tassie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this post. And the reminder to get out my copies of your books.

    I have been wanting to make flat bread and so used your recipe today.

    Thanks,

    z

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Rhonda, I made this tonight with a couple of tweaks based on what I had to hand and it was delicious. A keeper!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’ve always made Indian flat bread but to eat with curries. I must try this version and see how it goes, hubby being American and lived in Texas loves Mexican. We now live on Macleay island Qld, so I need to make most of my stuff from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ps I am so glad you are blogging again, I was having with drawal symptoms

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too am delighted to have you blogging again.
    Thank you for sharing this recipe with us. it looks delicious, we eat with our eyes too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I’m definitely trying it! I adore spicy Mexican style food. And I know the family will love the flatbread. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Rhonda
    Thanks for sharing, love a good enchilada recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmmm looks yummy. I am also very happy you are blogging again Rhonda. You are a gem... with all you write and share with us. Thank you ☺️

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig