26 April 2024

Food, Home Maintenance, eCookbook and Gracie

Thanks for all the birthday wishes. It's a lovely way to mark my special day. I haven't taken any new photos for this post, mainly because I didn't have any spare time and I thought it was a good way of featuring some old photos I'd forgotten about. 


I'm having some work done on the front verandah and had workmen here to check what could be done. Just before he got sick, Hanno noticed some problems in the concrete on the verandah and he never got back to it. He was always focused on home maintenance and said that if maintenance wasn't carried out when it was first noticed, the problems only got worse and it took more time, energy and money to fix. So now, after waiting two years to have someone look at this, it looks like major work. They're going to remove the top layers of cement, with some thick patches of paint attached, then level and tile it all. Before that's done, I have to take all the plants and furniture to the back verandah. Shane was here on Tuesday to remove the front tank for me. I'm really happy he'll use it in his own vegetable/flower gardens. I'm not sure yet when the main work will start but I'll start my work over the weekend.




I've decided I'm not going to do the eCookbook. I had to resurrect Word which I was very happy to delete when I finished writing my books and when I looked at it again, I was lost. I spent the first six weeks relearning it. It's bad enough just dealing with the text but when I tried to insert photos, it was difficult keeping my place and working out where to insert page breaks. Over the past two weeks I've been trying different apps and I worked out it would take me another two months to finish the first book. I even tossed up the possibility of stopping the blog to keep writing the eBook. Then I started thinking about my promise to myself about only doing what I wanted to do, and I don't want to do the book. It was a purely financial decision to cover some expenses I had so apart from disappointing you - and I hope you aren't too disappointed, I'm pleased to leave it behind. And that will give me the time to write blog posts to my heart's content. I still get a lot out of my blog, I love helping people and sharing what I know and that is best done here, on this blog where I have no word or photo limits.

Most of the recipes I was going to share are on the blog, I was going to update them, but they are there. There's a search bar on the right side of this page so all you need to do is to search for what you want to find. And I'll make sure I add the foods and meals I'm cooking to my blog posts as I go along.


I made a big pot of beef, barley and root vegetable soup last week. I enjoyed that for a few days and also stored two litres of it in the freezer. In the middle of winter, when it's really cold, I'll defrost it, turn on my heater and enjoy it. I'm making pikelets this morning. I've made the batter and will cook them when I finish here.  I have some double cream I have to use up and will make the choice of strawberry or cherry jam while I make a pot of tea.

Aldi seems to have lowered a few prices recently so I've been shopping there. I never shop at Coles but Woolworths, while saying they're dropping prices, it seems to be the same to me. If you're struggling with the cost of living now, I hope you can keep your head above water until things change again. It's difficult because there seems to be no way out but usually it's a matter of small things making a big difference. I've found some old posts that might help with with food costs but if you don't already cook from scratch, that is what will save you the most money, as well as be a huge improvement in the taste and nutrition of the food you serve.

https://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/2021/10/main-meals-cooked-from-your-rotating.html
https://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/2018/01/food-shopping-organising-recipes-and.html
https://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/2015/01/healthier-and-cheaper-cold-cuts.html
https://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-german-beef-fest.html
https://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/2011/04/saving-money-on-meat-buying-in-bulk.html
https://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/2013/11/frugal-food-savoury-mince.html
https://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/2010/08/home-cooking-what-decadence.html


And finally, I have no doubt that those of you who follow Gracie closely won't be surprised to know she is still sitting at the bookcase looking for mice.  She has also expanded her search areas to a cupboard in my office (she's there now) and another bookcase in the lounge room. 😑

I hope you're doing well in your home during these hard times.  It won't last forever, we just have to keep going and take one small step at a time. If you have any tips for the rest of us, please share them in the comments.  xx ❤️
SHARE:

43 comments

  1. Good morning Rhonda, I really look forward to your posts in your blog. I hope you continue to enjoy writing them. I’ve learnt a lot from your books and even make my own soap and laundry liquid now thanks to you. Have a great day and weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda, I always enjoy catching up with your posts, I hope you are well. Pikelets sound like a lovely idea, I have not made them for the past 20 or so years, maybe time I did again. I love going back over your old posts and rereading, looking for ideas. The cost of living is certainly challenging but I am budgeting carefully and making do, thats all we can do now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your creme caramel looks delicious Rhonda. Thank you four blogposts. Jeanette x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing all of this wonderful information! Your posts are very encouraging. I am inspired by your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you regarding the e-book decision. I have taken the same stance to life. I now do what gives me joy and satisfaction and I am much happier because of it. I love to bake, garden and sew but mostly I love to play with my puppy who is now 10 months old. cheers Maureen xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rhonda, I really enjoy your photos. I have learned so much over the years from you, and often think about you when I am taking a knitted dishcloth out of the drawer, or cooking something delicious from scratch. I have started a vege garden again, it's been a while, plus the summer heat puts me off. Gracie is such a character! Take care, Kathryn xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on deciding to not do the book Rhonda. I clapped! It was a good decision for you and that’s all that matters.
    I absolutely agree about cooking from scratch. It is so money saving and much better for the health!
    Quite annoying to have to move all the stuff off the front veranda but you will be able to arrange it all how you want after and sit there with a cup of tea feeling pleased!
    Much love to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Rhonda, I hope you don't mind me suggesting this but perhaps the people who were intending to buy the cook book could be offered the chance to donate a similar amount because the recipes (and so much more) are there already. You have already done the heavy lifting. I bet many of us who were planning on buying your book would be very happy to do that, I know I would, we just need your approval and a donation point set up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your suggestion, Maggie. I'm happy to accept whatever my readers want to give but I don't expect anything for a book I couldn't publish. I have a Paypal account - it's @rhondahetzel I appreciate your generosity, Maggie.

      Delete
    2. Great idea Maggie! I was one of those planning to buy the ebook, but I can totally understand why Rhonda decided against it. Colette

      Delete
    3. PayPal worked! Just sent a bit of a thank you for your lovely blog ;). Hilogene in Az.

      Delete
    4. I thought this was a great idea too and have also sent a bit. Thanks for all of your help and advice over the years. I’ve been a reader for over 15 years. Dale

      Delete
    5. Thanks Dale. I appreciate it. I remember seeing you on and off over all those years. It's a long time.

      Delete
  9. That soup looks great Rhonda and hey Gracie. The weather is cooling off fast today. - Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just moved over to Substack for blogging. I'm happy to blog there for free, but you may like to offer subscriptions for readers. Just a thought. PS your side bar will need up dating from The Herbalist's Cottage. Sorry to cause you a task xx Leanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanne. I’m happy to update your new address, just send me the info. I’ll be staying here though, I’ve been here 17 years now and I have no complaints.

      Delete
  11. Hi Rhonda. Thank for the lovely post . I love that you share so much of your everyday doings. Hope the work on your verandah begins soon and that you can enjoy your refreshed space . Love your honesty about the recipe book . Good to let that go if it doesn’t add positivity to your days. We have lots of your shared recipes so we are the lucky ones. Here on the southwest coast of Vic, we have finally had some rain and it feels like autumn . Time to snuggle down . The garden is all trim and tidy , ready for winter and we’re enjoying some cosy late afternoon fire pit fires. Take care Rhonda xo Jacky

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am happy you are choosing to only do what you love! For me, I enjoy reading the adjacent blog posts so having to take the opportunity to explore and learn is worth the extra effort. Sometimes being efficient (having all the recipes in one ebook) is outweighed by a wonderful overall experience. Gracie is adorable she takes her responsibilities very seriously! She is applauded for her diligence, my pups have done the same when we have had a critter in the house, even after they have been removed they sniff the area for weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness knows how frustrating it can be to try to figure all of this technology stuff out. I have very little patience with it, I'm afraid.
    I am so very glad that you are blogging again. You were sorely missed when you took a hiatus.
    Dear, sweet Gracie. So glad you have each other.
    Continued blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's admirable that you thought the ecook book through and decided not to do it. That takes a certain conviction of your values. I enjoy your recipes and have made quite a few as others have said. I just re-read my hardback copy of the Down to Earth and always find new ideas. We live a very simple life, not a lot of going out except I do go to the gym and swim. I still buy some food in bulk even though we are in our 70's. I guess since I started buying in bulk in 1975 after we moved to California(very rural area), and never have stopped. Although since the pandemic I reversed buying back stock to back up stock.( if that makes sense). That was a little too much. I plan on buying the physical copy of The Simple Home even though I have an ebook of it , I prefer to look through the physical book. Thanks for keeping the blog open, I and all of us value it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for this post, Rhonda. All the best for your maintenance work - it is a never ending job, isn’t it! 😊 Blessings, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah Gracie... She's determined!! 🐶🐭 Love your update Rhonda and I get your decision not to do the ebook. Also I've seen a button on other blogs to donate/ "buy the bloger a coffee".. it could be a way for people to contribute here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I thought the same, it's a good and easy way to say thank you to the author of the blog and the contributions will add up! I've just set up a Paypal account so I could make a transfer to Rhonda, but buy a coffee would probably make it easier for everyone.

      Delete
    2. I appreciate your generosity, Weronkia. Stay well and safe. xx

      Delete
  17. Monique ElisabethApril 27, 2024 6:28 am

    Hi Rhonda, thank you for the wonderful post.
    Oh Gracie, she keeps busy 😁

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Rhonda. I am checking in from Montgomery Texas USA, I’ve been following your blog since I was pregnant with my second son who turns 17 next month. I lived in Cranbourne Victoria then. I moved to Bellbowrie near Brisbane and then Gladstone near Rockhampton Queensland and now in USA where I have been for 6 years. Still reading your blog posts every few weeks. Xxx lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Rhonda,
    Always lovely to read your blogs! I’m pleased to hear that you aren’t continuing with writing the ebook, something you weren’t enjoying. Life’s too short!
    Something that is helping me keep the cost down feeding my family of 5, is to cook only 3 meals a week. I make enough for 2 nights and the 7th night is usually just left overs. I find I’m saving a bit of money by buying less ingredients. I’m sacrificing variety but in the end, I’m satisfied that I’m still feeding my family home cooked meals. It also helps me to not have to cook each night when still working full time. Jade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jade, I do that too. I think it's the one thing I can rely on to make sure I eat nutritious food and save money doing it.

      Delete
  20. A good choice not to do the book but many thanks for putting your recipes here.. Bless must think she is protecting you, good girl Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Rhonda, thank you for your post, always great to catch up with what you and Gracie are up to in the Sunshine Coast hinterland. I just sent you a PayPal transaction. I do often look back over your previous blog posts. If you have time I wouldn't mind if you gave us occasionally a monthly website list to check out. Those often took me to places I would not have accessed. Sonnicar xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your generosity Sonya. I’ve been thinking about the blog today and I could certainly bring back the Additional Reading list of links I used to present a few years ago.

      Delete
  22. I agree Rhonda, cooking from scratch makes a huge difference in cost and quality of food. It's worth making the effort to learn, and thanks for sharing your recipes on your blog. Also growing done veggies if you can. Glad to see you back on the blog more regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  23. thankyou for another lovely read Rhonda.
    Are any of your books out in audio form?
    Id love to be able to listen to them as I go about my day :)

    I definitely understand that the cookbook was getting to be too much of a grind, but I'm also a bit sad that it was, as I was very much looking forward to it.
    Good on you for knowing your limits though!

    Hope you have a lovely week ahead <3
    Sarah
    FocusOnSimple 🌿

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, no, nothing on audio.

      Delete
    2. I hope you harass penguin to do audio versions. Im pretty sure it would be a decent earner especially if it were added to the audible catalogue. I know I for one would buy each and every book! :).
      I hope your week is going well Rhonda, we've had ceaseless rain, and the paddock and around the house are just full blown mud by this point...
      Doing my head in a bit tbh :-|
      FocusOnSimple 🌿

      Delete
    3. I won't be harassing anyone, Sarah. If I wanted to do audio books I would have by now. We have rain here too but I'm grateful we've had a wet summer instead of a dry one. I can't remember how long it's been since the bush around here has looked so healthy.

      Delete
    4. my apologies - no offence intended...

      Delete
    5. No need to apologise Sarah, I wasn’t offended. I just wanted to say what I wanted to say.

      Delete
  24. Love your posts

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Rhonda,
    As always, it's so lovely to read and catch up with you, your wonderful home, family and simple life. We've all grown to love hearing about your day to day contentment. To me, you and Hanno have lived a very rich and successful life in quality and fulfilment.
    I thoroughly agree that contentment with what we already have and the gratitude we build into our ordinary lives, however large of small, is what makes the ordinary extraordinary. In these turbulent times, where life can be genuinely troubling for many of us, I am choosing to be enormously thankful for all the things I haven't got and to be mindful of my blessings.
    I catch myself, when I find myself starting to grumble about a back pain or a minor inconvenience. You never fail to remind me, I have a secure roof over my head, people I love, nutritious food, an extremely ordinary, but wonderful life. Take care ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig