31 January 2019

Photos of our home

Now that Jamie has gone back to school I'm getting back to my regular routine. I still do most of my housework in the morning and the slower tasks, like mending, sewing and knitting, after lunch. I try to beat the current heat we're having and first thing this morning I was out watering the garden. I'm really just trying to keep the perennials, herbs and trees alive now. It's been a savage summer and luckily we have ample rainwater to use on the garden but it's a hopeless case with some of the plants. The only way to save some plants was to take cuttings and save seed so we'll be able to replant when the weather is milder. The sun is scorching and it seems more intense, last year was the same, and I have some plants that usually stay out in summer tucked away in the bush house. I'm currently planning this year's garden and with the combination of this deteriorating climate, age and dizziness playing a part, I hope we'll have herbs, garlic, tomatoes, chard, kale, lettuce, beetroot, small pumpkins, sweet potatoes and potatoes growing. I'll start looking for someone to weed and replant soon but it probably won't be until late April, when it starts to cool down, before we start. 

It's been a long time since I took random photos in our house. Some things stay the same, others, like the new kitchen tap, change. 


That cupboard in the middle is my pantry.  The stockpile cupboard is just around the corner.
Over the years we have replaced the original tiles and appliances to energy efficient ones but the rest of the kitchen is 21 years old.
You can just see the edge of a green bucket here. I don't usually have buckets on the kitchen bench but this one is full of elderberries. 

Our old silky oak sideboard.
The little framed watercolour on the left was sent to me by Rose the year before she died. 
I tried to give the photos some context so you could piece together how it's all set up.
This much cherished dresser is right at the back door. Hanno and I bought it about 35 years ago and it has moved with us ever since. One of the reasons I chose it was the 1919 penny, the same year my mother was born, inset in the wood.

Sharpened all my knives a few days ago and then cut a hole in my new hemp dish cloth when I washed them afterwards! Mending that is on my to do list in the coming days. Hanno picked some elderberries so they have to be stripped from their stems and made into a drink. He's out there again now stripping the tree of berries before he cuts it back. I'll also make a couple of jars of dried apricot jam soon and will post how I do that because a couple of readers have asked about it.

It was my fault for not being careful with just-sharpened knives. Using it for the first time, a hole right in the middle. I'll fix it before I wash it.

Salahan from EcoYarns reminded me to soak my skeins of hemp in warm water with a little hair conditioner added. They're dry now and feel really soft so they'll be easier to wind.  If you do this, be gentle with the yarn. You don't want any tangles.


Before Jamie went back to school we did more baking so he'd have some homemade biscuits to pack in his lunch box. We made a mix of white choc chip and sprinkles for him and walnut for Hanno and I. I used the last of the nectarines in a tart tartin and once I cut these juicy segments I couldn't resist sampling a couple - chef's treat.  😇
We had the new kitchen tap installed last week and I'm really pleased with it. It much easier to fill my big pots now. We bought the tap at Ikea on our first trip there for a long, long time. We tend to shop locally now but Ikea was the only place I could find the tap I wanted. While we were there I found a single quilt and pillows slip set on half price special for $35. I've been looking for fabric that was darkish but with bright elements in it. This is navy blue background with bright florals. I bought two sets and will use them to recover the seating and cushions on our cane lounge set on the front verandah.

I think this fabric will serve us well on the cane lounge suite on the front verandah. It's dark enough to withstand the problems of being outside but bright enough to look good.

And finally, sorry for the ultra long post, I'm thinking of doing another blogging workshop for beginners. I've done several of these in the past and they've been very popular.  A few ladies have asked if I would do another so I'd like to know if there are enough interested people to make it worthwhile.  The cost will be $130AU and if we have enough people, it will start late February/early March.  The course consists of detailed notes sent to you, a follow up of two group Skype sessions of one hour each and you can also ask additional questions via email. Let me know if you're interested.
SHARE:

45 comments

  1. They say that a picture is worth more than a 1,000 words. These pictures of your home and your homemade prepared food . . . touches a warm cord in my heart and speaks volumes of family love :) Warm, cozy, loved and blessed.
    Have a sweet day.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those new kitchen tiles look fabulous - even better with everything in is place. I am 'in charge'of budgeting, buying supplies and cooking main meals this year at our house so the kitchen and its organisation will be paramount to the success of this little 'bet' between Mrs and I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bet!!? That you can save more money on food than Mrs Homemaker did/does?

      Delete
  3. Your home is arranged with such loving attention to detail, comfort and attractiveness. So charming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely homey space you have created. Isn't it interesting with Ikea that when you go to look for something there, you find more things to bring home. BTW, love the tap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the temptations of materialism are very hard to beat. Thanks for your lovely comment, Brigie.

      Delete
  5. Rhonda, no berries on our elderberry tree yet :-( Lots of flowers though so there is hope. Was Miss Gracie having a snooze while you were taking photos? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chel, I forget exactly how many years it took but we didn't get berries for a few years after we planted. You can make the delicious elder flower cordial or champagne with the flowers. Your tree has been in for 2 years? Maybe another 2 to go. Oh Gracie was lurking.

      Delete
    2. Rhonda, it must be about four years now. Time flies! I did get berries last year and was collecting them in bits and pieces and finally when I had enough to do something with them I mistook them for olives so added them to the bottle of olives I had. Big mistake :-) This year I will make sure to wear my glasses. LOL!

      Delete
  6. Oh I love that fabric Rhonda, it will look lovely on your cane furniture.

    I am not used to the kind of heat they have here, its exhausting. Though SA is a hotter temperature on average, I struggle with the humidity here. I can certainly say I'm looking forward to winter!


    I wonder if you would be interested in doing a writing workshop? I got a lot from your blogging workshop when I did it, and am really pleased I did. Im sure anyone who takes it up will be glad they do.


    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the humidity is a killer. How far inland are you? We came from a drier and hotter climate to here 21 years ago and I'm still not used to the humidity. It eases off around mid-March here and it gets colder after Anzac Day.

      I am interested in doing a writing workshop. Let's get together on Skype and you can tell me the type of help you're needing. Once I have a better understanding of what you need, I can broaden it to include other elements of writing and then I'll write up some notes. Email me when you have time.

      Delete
  7. I really love when you showcase areas of your home. You can feel the peace emanating from them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadege. I appreciate you taking the time to tell me that.

      Delete
  8. Such a beautiful, welcoming home. Looks so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rhonda, Your kitchen looks so neat and clean. Those nectarines look divine! I really enjoyed your blogging course. It helped me so much; thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It would be great if you’d share your elderberry recipe. I made champagne from the flowers for the first time this season, with mixed results and one mess in my cupboard (at least it wasn’t an explosion). Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, go to Search in my side bar, under my pic, and type in elderberry drinks. The post, with recipe, will come up.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Rhonda! I should have known I was just late to the party 😃.

      Delete
  11. Your home looks comfy and welcoming, Rhonda.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rhonda, your home is so beautiful and cute... I love all things in your home...
    Here, in France, it's winter time and we have snow, and wind, and rain...
    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the privilege of sharing your home with us, Rhonda. I have always loved the photos you share of your home - they are so inspiring. I have just finished dealing with two big buckets full of nectarines - cook's prerogative this way, too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Gail. What did you do with your nectarines?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your home Rhonda. I never get tired of seeing photos of your cost home. I like the indoor plants you have scattered around too, I have been slowly collecting some indoor plants and succulents for our front verandah and back patio. It’s starting to become a bit of an addiction! And I can’t wait to see that fabric on your cane furniture. Looks just right to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rhonda. since you have returned to posting I have noticed a real upturn and enthusiasm with your take on life. I am so pleased that you are enjoying life again and I feel so motivated along with you. Walking every step of the way with you. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aunt Diane from StreatorJanuary 31, 2019 11:47 pm

    I’m home today in Streator, Illinois, USA. -15 temp, 3rd day of Polar Vortex. Everything is closed. Enjoying the time off. Strangely, i also cut one of my new dishcloths with our new knife. I bought 4 graphite dishclorhs, to match my stainless steel sink. Couldn’t keep the white ones white! P.S. I also sliced into my index finger, but it is healing nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your kitchen looks so warm and cosy. I love the dresser.
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  19. I so love your home Rhonda my mother was born in 1919 too.At the moment I am sitting in my little welsh cottage watching it snow.Rose

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have the same set from Ikea on my bed downstairs. I love the Swedish look of it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your home. Thank you for sharing. Also, no words to express how happy I was to discover you were blogging again. I just don't care for Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can't wait to see that material on your cane lounge, it's going to look wonderful! Your Home is lovely Rhonda, I think we all love it when you share photos with us, I did like the photo of the dresser on IG with Gracie making her presence known, I'm amazed she didn't manage to pop into your other photos :). Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I find homes around blogger world interesting. Not sure if they even make stoves that small here in America any more.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for taking us on a tour of your home. It's delightful.
    I'm also gardening in south east Queensland, down in Brisbane, and it has been a struggle with the dry summer we are having. Nevertheless I'm having a wonderful crop of snake beans that flourish so well every summer. Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for the tour of home Rhonda. It really is a restful space. I smiled when I read about your mishap with your new dishcloth. My Mum, who turned 87 yesterday knits cloths for me. She’s just started using your pattern and loves it. We’ve settled on 55 stitches being the magic number of stitches to settle our size debate. Mum gave me a lovely new cloth and yesterday, while using it for the first time, I did exactly the same thing as you 😳 Time to do some careful mending ! Hope you get some rain soon . Happy weekend 😊

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello Rhonda.. I just happened to click on your blog as I thought to read an older post and was so surprised to see a new post. For some reason I thought you had shut this down and was only on Instagram. So happy you are still here. I don't know where I got that idea. Love your home and those blue dishes! Smile. Thanks for hour blog. I love it. It is cold here in Eastern Canada. Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Faye! I said I'd be back if I had something to share, and I did. When I came back it felt right, so I'm still blogging. Stay warm. xx

      Delete
  27. Whenever I view photos of your home I get a warm feeling that I could settle on a chair, have a cuppa,some home baking and a nice chat. Mind you, you may be quite startled to come across me😁 Your home looks just like a home not a showpiece but very pretty and cosy. I love the Swedish look to it. Didn't you have a lovely patchwork curtain across the kitchen window once? I'm sure I used to admire it.
    NZ Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ingrid. Yes, I might get a shock if I suddenly came across you sitting at the table drinking tea, but you'd be welcome none the less. I've had the red and curtains for yonks. You're probably thinking of the patchwork table cloth.

      Delete
  28. Rhonda,
    Just wandering through your home photos and I immediatly felt right at home.
    You have that ability in your photos as well as in your words to communicate that wonderful feeling of being welcome.
    I love your special older furniture pieces and that fabric will be just perfect .
    Take care,
    Cheers
    Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  29. An enviable house, Rhonda. Glad you are doing so well and back with us once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig