|Kate from Beautiful Chickens|
When: Sunday 19th June 2016 from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm.
Where: Private residence at Mount Samson.It is an unfortunate reality that chickens are still intensively farmed for eggs in Australia. Although approved by authorities, standards for keeping chickens in cages for the intensive production of eggs lacks even the most basic of humane standards. You may even have tried buying ‘free range’ and ‘barn laid’ eggs, but these definitions can be very deceptive.
You can help break this cycle by keeping your own flock to produce eggs. Chickens that are treated well will provide you with fresh eggs where you know what your chickens have been consuming. They are also amazingly entertaining and curious pets.
At a minimum, you will know that you have control over how your chickens are treated and ensure that they live the lives they deserve in return for supplying you with wonderfully, healthy eggs.
A small sample of the eggs Kate's chickens produce.
Is this Workshop for you?
The workshop is aimed at backyard chicken keepers who wish to have their own laying chickens. It is a beginner level workshop. You will learn how to raise and manage chickens for egg production. Topics will include:
- Appropriate egg chicken breeds for backyard growers
- How to house and what to feed egg chickens
- How to handle your chickens
- Do you need a Rooster?
- Laying cycles
- What are Council requirements for keeping chickens
- How to recognise health issues and what to do about them
- Routine care including worming
- Pests around the chicken coop – rats, snakes, foxes, and other predators
- How to get the most out of your chickens
What you need to bring
- Paper/pen if you are an avid note taker!