DOWN TO EARTH SIMPLE LIVING FORUMS

DOWN TO EARTH SIMPLE LIVING FORUMS
I have a forum attached to my blog where people from all over the world meet to discuss simple life. There are over 8000 forum members now so we have an enormous amount of good information about growing food, cooking from scratch, family, simple living, routines, budgeting, baking and much more. Please click on the image above to go there. Newcomers will have to register. It's free, friendly and we're waiting for you.

1 February 2014

Is feedburner still working? Plus Roman, Jana and Megan

I'm a bit confused about Feedburner and I wonder if anyone can help me. I used to send out my blog's RSS feeds using Feedburner but Google bought it and closed it and Google Reader down sometime last year.  I left my Feederburner subscription up because I didn't get any complaints from anyone saying it wasn't working.  There is a facility in Feedburner to move the feeds and I can't remember now if I did that or not.  Anyhow, the stats on Feedburner are still current so I'm thinking it's still working. Am I right?  

Last week I had an enquiry asking how to sign up for email RSS feeds and that got me thinking about all this. I'd like to add that facility back to my blog but can't work out how to do it now. Can you point me in the right direction?

I used to use Google reader to read the blogs I read on a regular basis. I searched for a new reader for a while and tried a couple but settled on Feedly.  Feedly is easy to use, it's well designed and it's free. You can also use different categories for your saved blogs to organise it to your liking. I've added the Feedly button to my side bar and I would love you to follow me there.

Many of you may have seen Roman, Jana and baby Lada on Gardening Australia last year. They're an innovative and charming couple who live in Brisbane and who are living sustainably in a rental property in the suburbs. They are growing vegetables in self-made wicking beds, harvesting water and living a simple life. They're generously sharing their knowledge with the local and have starting doing workshops. Like me, they're hoping to inspire many more people to live this way. Roman and Jana have just started a website, do yourself a favour and check it out - SpurTopia. There are a lot of photos and interesting information there. It will be interesting to watch it develop.


Finally, Megan from Odgers and McClelland Exchange Store sent an email to let us know she now has the wonderful Falconware in a set of enamel prep bowls and colander as well as enamel milkshake beakers.  It's a beautiful store that I enjoy looking at.

I hope you're enjoying your weekend. Hanno is out in the garden working on the chicken house and I'm about to serve lunch then plant up more seeds.

23 comments:

  1. Hi Rhonda, I use Bloglovin to follow other blogs. It comes in through my emails to tell me who has posted on their blogs. I have a Bloglovin button on my blog.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda! I've been lurking for over a year reading your wonderful website via your RSS feed. As far as I can tell, it's coming to be via feed burner, and I'm reading it using "Feedly" which replaced Google Reader.

    You have a link on your sidebar labelled "Subscribe in a reader" with the typical RSS icon, and that goes to feed burner ... I'm not sure how people subscribe now, but I use feedly directly to search for feeds, or type in the feed URL itself.

    I see you also have a feedly subscribe button now. Woohoo! Did that just pop up, or have I got my blinkers on? :)

    Anyhow, I've taken great inspiration from your blog and living simply. Just wanted to at last say hi, and thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thanks for letting me know. I just put the subscribe in a reader back, along with the Feedly button. I thought the subscribe button might have died and needed to be replaced. It was great to find your blog. Very nice.

      Delete
    2. I just noticed your subscription by email. Who did you go through for that?

      Delete
    3. Hi Rhonda, I use blogspot for my blog, and have the Follow by Email option - it is a Gadget in the Blogspot layout list of gadgets. Hope this makes sense!

      Delete
    4. It was in there! Just Joyful, I didn't think to look in the gadgets. Thanks a lot. :- )

      Delete
    5. Hi Rhonda, sorry I didn't see your reply until this evening, I've been quilting and lost to the world. :) You asked about my subscription by email -- I think you may have solved this now? I see you have a widget like that on your sidebar, too.

      Thank you so much for dropping in to my blog! I'm finding the whole writing experience very rewarding. I've had to firmly step away from the stats page, though!

      Delete
  3. I switched to feedly as my reader just before google made their changes. I was able to use all of my google info to transfer everything straight across.
    I have been using it for your blog for a while, it is very simple to search for a blog name and have it come up for you to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rhonda. Feedburner still works (I also use it to deliver my blog posts by email). I understand that it was just the Google Feed Reader that was discontinued and that there are no plans to discontinue Feedburner. Or at-least I hope so. T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda
      Feedburner is still working, just not Google Reader.Your feed still works although it's not 'full post' enabled - just the headline. I think you can change that in your Feedburner account if you wanted to :)

      Delete
    2. Ah, I wondered how the different RSS feeds worked from the provider side. That 'full post' option would be helpful to me if you're willing to turn it on Rhonda.

      Peace,
      Greg.

      Delete
    3. (Hmm, comment disappeared... retrying) I wondered how RSS worked from the provider, thanks Laura. That 'full post' option would be helpful for me if you're willing to turn it on Rhonda.

      Peace,
      Greg.

      Delete
  5. I can still read blogs in Google Reader and have Bloglovin too as I thought Google Reader was closing down.Can't help with the RSS feed issue sorry. Thanks for the info about the couple's website, Rhonda. For some reason I thought they lived down south.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea about any of that technical stuff, but just wanted to say Happy Planting!! Can't wait for our turn to start in a few more months. Just keep planting seeds until you figure it all out ;-)
    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  7. My blog is still done via Google but I also have it on Feedly and Bloglovin. I don't need to go to either of them to catch up though, as it all still comes onto my google blog dashboard (except a few and those I find when I view my blog (if that makes sense).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use 'theoldreader' as my reader. its an old fashion basic google reader, I found it easier that feedly. Basic but very good

    ReplyDelete
  9. When Google announced it was shutting down Google Reader, I switched to Bloglovin.. It is free and very easy and you can organize what you read into catagories. Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  10. I much prefer to email way to get all my blogs, goes directly to a folder and I can do them down the list all day long, works for me. Now to get it off Bloglovin, since if I don't have time I cannot access all the list must do an extra click for that. Not good for me. Sooo glad for the email subscirbe way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Rhonda,
    thanks for the link to SpurTopia. I had wanted to watch the Gardening Australia footage again, and there it was on their blog - so inspiring.

    Hope you're having a lovely, not too hot, weekend :)

    Madeleine.X

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use Feedly and have had no problems with it. However, I really want to thank you for endorsing Vivian at Ecoyarns. Totally out of the blue, my little granddaughter, just nine, was diagnosed with leukaemia on New Years Day. A wonderful present. She has just been able to return home after a full month in Westmead Children's Hospital. Loads and loads of medicines, most with very nasty side effects. The last of her hair fell out two days ago.

    I ordered some Organic cotton for light summer chemo hats for her from Vivian. The diagnosis has hit most of us like a heavy truck and I was distracted when I placed the order. Vivian had to email me for my full address. I explained the distraction and when son picked up the parcel yesterday from PO I found three lovely skeins which I had ordered. But there was more. There was a pattern and the yarn for a little hat with tendrils creeping down from the top.

    We have had so much kindness shown to us and this was another example. So thank you for your endorsement which I heartily second. The yarn is lovely and so was the surprise enclosed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, what a terrible thing to happen to your granddaughter. There has been a lot of progress in the treatment of leukaemia in recent years. I hope your little girl recovers quickly and completely. That doesn't surprise me about Vivian, she is a beautiful soul. That organic cotton is lovely to knit. I'm using it to knit a cardigan for my nephew's baby Johnathan. I hope your girl loves her hats. Such a simple thing but I'm sure it will give her pleasure to wear the hats grandma made for her.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment today. I love reading your opinions and thoughts. We have built up a wonderfully diverse community here that I'm very proud to be a part of.

A link to your blog will be automatically added to your comment. Please don't add another link to your blog in your comment. Those comments will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...