DOWN TO EARTH SIMPLE LIVING FORUMS

DOWN TO EARTH SIMPLE LIVING FORUMS
I have a forum attached to my blog where people from all over the world meet to discuss simple life. There are over 8000 forum members now so we have an enormous amount of good information about growing food, cooking from scratch, family, simple living, routines, budgeting, baking and much more. Please click on the image above to go there. Newcomers will have to register. It's free, friendly and we're waiting for you.

23 November 2013

Introducing the Odgers and McClelland Exchange Stores

I needed to replace my teapot recently and knew exactly what I wanted - a Falconware 1.5 litre cream teapot. I'd seen them online but when I went back there they had sold out so a search began to find that same teapot at a good price - nothing over $35. And that is how I stumbled upon Odgers and McClelland Exchange Stores, and what a great day that was. I wasn't sure what I was seeing at first. It looked like one of the old general stores that used to operate in country towns when I was growing up. And that's exactly what it is. A general store, complete with unpackaged goodies such as enamel ware and soap, and domestic necessities - brushes, buckets, millet brooms, loose tea, string, watering cans, gardening tools, and so much more. I was in heaven. I use all these things in my home and usually have to search high and low for them. Here they were before me, in one store - the Odgers and McClelland Exchange Stores

 Megan and Duncan at the entrance of their beautiful and unique store.
 This teapot at the front is the one I ordered. 

My teapot and a few other goodies are on their way to me via Australia Post and I'm very pleased to tell you that dealing with Duncan and Megan Trousdale, who own and operate the historic Odgers and McClelland Exchange Stores, has been an absolute pleasure. I recommend them to you if you're looking for traditional goods and good quality gift lines that are usually difficult to find. Megan and Duncan moved to Nundle in 1998 and bought the old store. You can read about their move and the history of the store here. The store looks like a splendidly packaged time capsule of old Australia; it's a true gem. I am proud to add them to my select group of sponsors.


I've been looking around the Odgers and McClelland Exchange Stores website this past week and it's full of very interesting information. Megan used to be deputy editor of Australian Country Style magazine so there is that sense of style, and a leaning towards the traditional and unusual in the goods for sale. But the stock selection has been done by Duncan. With his background in fine arts and a good understanding of the history of the store he has pieced together a catalogue of beautifully made, practical and useful goods.

As I was looking through their website I was surprised at how many of the utensils, brushes and other products they sold that I use here in my home.  But when I looked at Megan's blog, I realised that Megan and Duncan are in our camp. They live a very simple life, they eat good food and they are raising their young family in the small town of Nundle. In many respects, they're selling what they use and that is always a good sign. Megan is a fine home cook by the look of it and shares many of her family recipes on her blog, although she says that Duncan grows most of their food and is a much better cook than she is. I can imagine the delicious aroma of warm cakes and simmering casseroles coming from their home. The blog really is worth a look. Leave a comment for Megan and Duncan and say hello. I think they'd like that.



The online store can be accessed via a series of listed links on the left side of their homepage. Megan mentioned in an email that there are three reliable weeks of postage left before Christmas so if you see something you like as a Christmas gift, it will reach you before Christmas if you order it as soon as you can this week. But if you're travelling around New South Wales during the holidays, call in and wander through this unique store. Tricia and I have already earmarked a visit next winter.


23 comments:

  1. What a wonderful store..just the kind of store I could spend a whole day wondering thru. I started to look at the website but there were too many desirable things to tease my wants...especially since I live in the US. Thanks so much, Rhonda, for sharing all the interesting things that you do. I love coming here for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny Rhonda that I should look at your blog this morning and discover that I have put the same store on my blog!!! We visited Nundle last week and I could not pull myself away from this store. I purchased some Falcon ware as well Rhonda. Megan and Duncan your store is truly beautiful and I did not want to leave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just received my first order from Odgers and McClelland Exchange Stores and I'm very happy with it. Among other things i purchased two 1 litre glass bottles. They are already washed and one is in the fridge full of homemade lemon and barley cordial. The quality is great and the parcel came in the post wrapped in brown paper which was much nicer than the usual plastic bag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nundle is an excellent town! Very happy to see some local-to-me sponsors here! Love your writings, Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that certainly looks like a gem and a piece of Australian history of home works and simple living. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia. www.oursimpleandmeaningfullife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rhonda,
    the kids and I visited this store a few years ago and they are still talking about it!

    Nundle itself is a very sweet town, I'm sure you will enjoy it. One highlight was the working woollen mill. We got to see how wool is carded,dyed etc...and purchased lovely wool and needles for some homeschool projects. We are planning another visit over the Summer holidays.

    Have a great weekend, Madeleine.X

    PS I'm sure you will enjoy that teapot forever, it looks like a real gem. Some things just never go out of style :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madeline, I was just about to suggest a visit to the woollen mill also - it is fascinating. It also looks like I need to make another visit to Nundle sometime soon as I was unaware of this lovely little store and it looks like a real little treasure.

      Delete
  7. I highly recommend this store. I have purchased a few enamelware pieces online from them and they have FANTASTIC customer service. Would love to visit the store one day - I imagine browsing would be such a pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! I think I'm going to love this place. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that's just my kind of store! I heard of it elsewhere, just recently, and plan a visit next time I'm up Armidale way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My my, doesn't that store bring back memories? I can't wait to go back and have a better look later on. We have our last Simple Living Toowoomba workshop for the year this morning and are going to be making button necklaces or bracelets so I had better get my skates on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like that simple enamelware. I have two little pie dishes that are used three or four times a week, and have done so for nigh on twenty years. I also bought a blue teapot in exactly the same design recently, specifically for the shed at the allotment. It's such a good pot - the spout doesn't drip, it holds a decent amount without being too heavy, and it cleans up easily. So I ended up buying another for home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful store ! This store reminds me of Lehman's Hardware, which is a couple hours drive from my home. I love enamelware and other old-fashioned housewares! Lehmans does ship world wide. www.lehmans.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EllyMae, I know Lehman's! I thought of it as soon as I started reading Rhonda's post, but couldn't remember the name. I visited there with my daughter who lives in Akron. Wouldn't Rhonda just love Lehman's?

      Delete
    2. Hello EllyMae and Nanette, I know Lehmans. I have an Amish friend who frequently shops at Lehmans so I've often looked at their site over the years and wished we had something similar here. Now we have!

      Delete
  13. Oh wow looks lovely! Thanks for sharing. Great to see that the Robert Gordon brand (+ probably others) that they stock manufacture their wares in Australia too. Probably a good case for buying quality over quantity. Also it is important to spend, to support our businesses, (not just be too tight-fisted) but spending at shops like this really helps to support small businesses and the local economy/community (The Transition Towns network are also really big on spending less often, but when you do buy something, spend more money for something that will last, so you're still helping to support local businesses)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You always have something in your post that interests me even if I do live on the other side of the world from you.. I so look forward tot he books and links you suggest each weekend.. They are always so informative.. Thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much Rhonda for this post. I have been looking for a store just like this one! It's fantastic that they ado online shopping. I have already placed my order ( I have been searching for a good butter dish and hearth brush for ages) and can't wait for it to arrive. Looks like a trip to Nundle will be on my list to do next year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful, thanks for that, it's just my style!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That store looks amazing! We have one I've just found 15 minutes up the road that stocks generally the same things, it so nice to find these little shops, what treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh How I love that teapot you ordered..so many wonderful things!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Rhonda,
    Gosh I love all their stuff a lot of the enamel wares we can get here in the old Chinese shops, I remember my mom's folks having the cups and teapot that you got 'cause us kids used to fight to use them =) but geez I wish I could order a lot of other things. Will have to see if they do international orders and the cost of shipping to Trinidad.
    Love their blog too and have already made not of their orange marmalade to try my hand at.

    Vicki
    Trinidad & Tobago

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my....I think I have to thank you from the bottom of my heart. This website has Christmas sorted for me!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment today. I love reading your opinions and thoughts. We have built up a wonderfully diverse community here that I'm very proud to be a part of.

A link to your blog will be automatically added to your comment. Please don't add another link to your blog in your comment. Those comments will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...