DOWN TO EARTH SIMPLE LIVING FORUMS

DOWN TO EARTH SIMPLE LIVING FORUMS
I have a forum attached to my blog where people from all over the world meet to discuss simple life. There are about 7000 forum members now so we have an enormous amount of good information about growing food, cooking from scratch, family, simple living, routines, budgeting, baking and much more. Please click on the image above to go there. Newcomers will have to register. It's free, friendly and we're waiting for you.

21 September 2013

Slow magazine



Some time ago I was contacted by a journalist from Slow magazine asking for an interview. That interview, and an excerpt from my book, were published in the current edition of the magazine. I hadn't heard of Slow magazine but now I've been sent a copy of the current issue, I am really proud to be featured in it.  Of course the first thing I think of when I pick up a magazine is that it will be full of advertisements for cosmetics and perfume, but I was surprised to find none of the usual suspects in Slow. The ads were relevant to their topics and there weren't too many of them. 

I have a secret confession now. The thing I love the most is that the excerpt from my book is sitting right next to an article about Gurrumul, the fantastically talented Australian musician. Gosh, I love that man's music so much. In the same edition are articles about Kate from Fox's Lane blog and her delightful book Vantastic, and Edwina from the Old Post Office blog. There are articles too about my favourite Australian author Tim Winton, the wonderful singer/songwriter Paul Kelly and much more about interesting people and topics.  It's like I'm part of a lovely and familiar Slow family.

I've agreed to do a bit of writing for Slow's website, so I'm pleased to welcome them to my small group of sponsors.

Added later: Wow, because I usually read magazines from the back to the front, I've just discovered a full page knitting yarn and patterns ad! right near the front. You don't see that in too many magazines nowadays, even buried on the back pages.

Here is the official summary about the contents of this edition:

Spring arrived in a rush around here. This is not usually our favoured pace but when it means sunny days, blooming flowers, new growth and a surge of creative energy we are happy to go with it.

And our pulse is racing a little too, as we a bit excited to announce that the contributor list for our Spring issue includes a couple of bonafide national treasures.

Tim Winton, four-time Miles Franklin Award winner, provides an exclusive hand-written extract from his long-awaited new novel, Eyrie. And legendary singer/songwriter Paul Kelly pays tribute to the man who called him brother, lead singer of Yothu Yindi and former Australian of the Year, Yunupingu, who passed away in June after a long illness.

Fittingly, Slow’s Spring issue is all about the creative spirit and how tapping into your deepest artistic impulses can be a powerful way of cultivating a sense of timelessness. Whether it’s a writer’s retreat, a pottery lesson, or traveling to an exotic land with an Archibald Prize winning artist for personal tuition, the Spring issue of Slow has a creative adventure to suit every taste.  Writer Charlotte Wood, artist Wendy Sharpe, potter Jane Sawyer, and illustrator Shaun Tan are among your eminently qualified creative guides.

And, while we’re at it, why should children miss out on the creative journey? Our story on the growing slow education movement, ‘Let The Children Play,’ argues that creative play and outdoor adventuring are powerful learning experiences children need.

That argument gets strong support in our profile of celebrated Indigenous singer Gurrumul, whose childhood on remote Elcho Island off the coast of Arnhem Land was full of music, adventure and loving guidance, despite being born blind. 

We meet a cast of inspiring characters who have taken the bold leap towards slow, sustainable living - growing their own food, embracing traditional crafts like food preserving and knitting, rejecting consumerism and even, in one case, building a magnificent composting toilet out of recycled materials.

The Slow heartland of central Victoria is in the midst of a cultural blossoming, showcased in our Slow Trails feature, as writer Lauren Mitchell takes the slow road from Ballarat to Bendigo.

The Perch Creek Family Jug Band, featuring “Australia’s leading one-legged saw player,” drop in to entertain. Slow advocate Carl Honore provides his own tips to resist the “virus of hurry.” Author Rhonda Hetzel offers her advice on “moving towards simplicity.” And we discover Manly’s old Quarantine Station and its unlikely makeover into a stylish boutique hotel and quiet sanctuary in the midst of Australia’s largest city.

All this, plus your chance to win a luxurious Slow weekend in beautiful Byron Bay and a double pass to the fabulous Boomerang Festival, in Spring Slow. On sale September 19.


16 comments:

  1. So beautifully said, ' It's a like I'm part of a lovely and familiar Slow family.'
    That is exactly how I felt when I read through the current issue of Slow.

    I hope you guys have a wonderful weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like your in good company! I don't suppose Slow is available in the USA?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to see if I can find it at a newsagent sounds like a lovely magazine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rhonda. Brydie mentioned it at Cityhippiefarmgirl the other day, I'll look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both your blog and Edwina's so will definitely see if I can get a copy.

    Happy weekend!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. After reading on Fox's Lane Blog that both of you had written for the magazine,I went and bought a copy yesterday. I have just had a quick flip thru the mag, it looks lovely, maybe tomorrow I will sit in the sunshine with the magazine & a cuppa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh I am a subscriber to Slow Magazine and I think it's one of the best magazines. Not full of adverts and definitely not a carbon copy of just about every other magazine for sale. It's a quarterly magazine so I have plenty of time to read and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Australia’s leading one-legged saw player" - tee hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen Slow. Hope to find it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Rhonda - I agree, I was thrilled to open it and see so many familiar faces from around the place too. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and the coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I dislike many magazines these days for the same reasons as you Rhonda - all ads for makeup and cloths, eeerrrk! This one looks like a winner though, so I'll check our newsagent tomorrow. They are bound to have it, as they have an enormous range of magazines, including a whole wall of craft mags, which is unusual in suburban newsagents...well the ones I've seen anyway.
    If they don't stock Slow I'm sure they'll get it in for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a lovely magazine. I'll look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, that's the Perch Creek Family Jug band on the front....they're a multi-talented, eclectic, quirky and funny band of siblings....although now they're older there's a partner added to the group....who make just the most wonderful music. They each started in the band when they were quite little, usually playing spoons! They come from my neck of the woods, and I'll happily travel all over the area to see them. You certainly are in good company to be featured with them and the equally wonderful Gurrumul, as well as other interesting and talented people. Congratulations on being in print, and having the chance to spread your wisdom to a new mix of readers. Nanette

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am definitely going to buy this too. I don't buy magazines much anymore (apart from Mindfood occasionally). I love Gurrumul 's music too and that has reminded me I must buy a couple of his cds to post to some wonderful Americans I met on our recent trip. I struggled to think of good Auusie souvenirs to take with us and realise now that a great cd is the way to go. I also love Kate and Edwina's blogs and the Perch Creek Family Jug Band! They were at Woodford folk festival last year. Combined with something from Tim Winton and Rhonda this will be perfect for my next day off. Very excited to read that Tim is writing another novel.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous that you were interviewed!
    Wish we got Slow magazine here in the States! At least there is some access ontheir website.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment today. I love reading your opinions and thoughts. We have built up a wonderfully diverse community here that I'm very proud to be a part of.

A link to your blog will be automatically added to your comment. Please don't add another link to your blog in your comment. Those comments will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...