17 June 2013

Family day with a twist and a plain shawl

Saturday started out well although it was cold and very windy. We invited some of the family over for lunch so I spent the morning tidying up and preparing for that. When Jens and Cathy arrived they told us a tree had come down in the front yard and it was perched, swaying, on the electrical lines on the road.  Energex was called to deal with it, Kerry and Jamie arrived, we closed the doors to keep the wind out, then settled down to enjoy our lunch. We spent a few very pleasant hours with them and when they left at 3.30pm, we cleaned up and settled in for an evening in with the wind still blowing outside.




In the evening I went into the bedroom to turn on the electrical blanket. Unfortunately for me, my foot caught up in the blanket's electrical cord and when I went to walk away, I tripped and fell in the dark room, smashing my face against the floor and crushing my glasses into my nose. Luckily it was carpeted. Now I have a gash between my eyes, a bruised nose and knees and two black eyes. That's me below yesterday.
Not a pretty sight.

I'm feeling a bit silly about it but I'm a tough old bird and although I look like I've gone three rounds with Mike Tyson, I'm fine although I am a bit sore. I'm giving a talk at the Beerwah CWA on Thursday so I hope I don't scare the ladies.

A few emails arrived after the last post on knitting dishcloths asking for another project for beginners. I also had a few ladies ask about my shawl at the Blackheath workshop so I thought it was a great second project for all those beginner knitters. I know it looks complicated but it isn't and if you know how to cast on and knit garter stitch, you'll only have to learn how to increase and decrease. Simple! 

I have several links below to either patterns or blogs of people who have knitted their own version of this shawl. I love mine and I'm really pleased I knitted it. I used organic cotton and made it in one piece, not using the I-cord that some patterns mention. I used circular needles, size 5, but used as you would normally use two needles. This allowed me to keep a lot of stitches on my needles.



If you don't want the back a triangular shape, don't increase as much.

You'll find the start edge will be straight and the knit front and back edge will be slanted. From the third row you'll increase one stitch in each increase row and every second row is just plain stitching to get back to the straight edge start. If this slant is too much, instead of increasing every second row, increase every fourth row and plain knit three rows. In addition to the cast on and knit stitches you already know, you'll have to learn knit one front and back (K1 f&b), and knit two together (K2tog).  Look at this link to see how to do those two stitches. I didn't want a triangle back so when I got to the back, I stopped increasing so much and only increased about every eighth or twelfth row. If you do this, write down what you do because you'll have to do the exact reverse on the other side when you're decreasing.
This is the start of the shawl.

TOP TIP: Write down your pattern as you knit because when you get to the half way point, you have to mirror what you did on the other side. By writing it all down, you can accurately mirror the decrease side to the increase side.

This is how I did mine, it is all in plain/knit stitch with the increase stitch:
  1. Cast on two stitches.
  2. Knit two stitches - you're now back at the start.
  3. Knit the first stitch, then knit front and back (K1 f&b), knit to the end.
  4. Knit the row back to the start.
Keep knitting in this way until it looks like it might be about half way. Measure the shawl on yourself and when the pointed end hangs down low enough and the back feels comfy, you're half way finished and need to start decreasing.

To do that, at the half-way point:
  1. Knit your next row till you have three stitches left on your left needle. Knit two together (K2tog), then knit the final stitch.
  2. Knit the row back to the start.
Continue those two rows until you're back to your pointy end, then cast off and bind in your loose ends.

I hope you'll try this or one of the other patterns. It's quite a big project but it's easy and fast and doing something like this will build up your knitting skills. Remember, as in everything in life, it doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be as good as you can do it. My shawl has a couple of uneven edges but it just serves to show me that I should improve on my next project.

As usual, if you have any problems with this, come to the forum and I, or one of the other members, will help you. Click here to go to the knitting forum.


SHAWL LINKS
SHARE:

58 comments

  1. Oh no, that looks very painful!:(

    Get well soon!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rhonda, OW! I hope it's not too painful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Rhonda...Those falls happen so un expectedly and so sorry this happened to you. Wishing you a quick recovery! The luncheon looked so nice...Today is Father's Day here in America. Do ya'll celebrate that in Australia? Wish a happy Father's Day to Hanno from Don and I. Blessings, Carolyn in Florida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fathers' Day is celebrated on the first Sunday in September here in Australia. Kathy.

      Delete
  4. wow, those glasses did a job on your face, hope no lasting ill effects to the fall. so happy you had a great family time, blessings for a speedy healing. I have not yet learned to knit, but hope too! the shawl looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Rhonda ~ I do hope your cut and bruises heal up and disappear soonly. It is so easy to do something like you did. I keep telling myself to slow down, take things easy, especially now that I am by myself.

    It looks like you had a good time with family.

    The shawl looks wonderful. I've never knit with circular needles and I do have a set from my late MIL.

    Love and hugs to you ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhonda I'm certainly glad to hear the only thing broken was your glasses not you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, goodness, Rhonda! It's so easy to trip, with your mind elsewhere - hope nothing's broken in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gosh you poor nose, I do hope it's not too painful and heals up quickly. (((( hugs ))))))

    ReplyDelete
  9. You poor thing, that looks awful, and it probably hurts to wear your spare pair of glasses at the moment too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Rhonda, you poor thing - best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    ps I love to hear the wind howling outside when I am tucked up inside nice and cosy and am thankful that I have a warm and safe house to be inside.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crikey Rhonda, that's a fine bruise you've got there! I love your shawl - it's the middle of summer here and right now it feels like I could do with one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that does look painful, poor you. I did a similar thing over the weekend with my computer cord and landed heavily on sore knees. Thank you so much for that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Outch! I bet it all looks worse than it realy is, but nevertheless I wish you speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy Dooley!!
    You crazy thing!!
    Take it easy lady!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ouch Rhonda as others have said it does look painful. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

    Thank you for posting the instructions for the shawl. I've ordered some cotton yarn this morning to make my own. Take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Rhonda, you did a good job there. I hope it heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ouch! So very easily done too. Hope your face is all better soon, Rhonda.
    Your lunch spread looked good.
    Maddie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love seeing photos of your family dinner - reminds me of my family; take care - sorry for your accident, Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You do look like you've been through the wringer. Hopefully it will mend quickly. I too wear glasses and know if I get a bump on them it really hurts! Thanks for the link to my shawl. I love the colour of your shawl. I'm spinning a chocolate brown fleece at the moment and co love the richness of it. Take care dear lady.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh dear Rhonda! My Grandma did that years ago when her rubber soled shoes caught on the carpet. I am sorry, I'm sure you'll help up just fine,but that bruising will get a bit nastier looking as it heals!

    Thanks for the pattern.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  21. Goodness me, what a bruise! Glad you are okay and hope you heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Impressive bruises, ouch! Love the look of the shawl, I've done fingerless gloves, scarf and shawl and would love to add this to my repertoire

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ouch!!!!
    I did mine chopping firewood - right between the eyes!!
    The hardest part is explaining how it happened. In spite of the cold compresses the black (later turning blue, purple, green and yellow)spread right down to my chin!. What a sight but be thankful no damage done to your eyes. It will heal and you have reminded us all to be careful!!!Keep warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are so lucky you didn't break an arm or a hip and I have to tell you I have done the exact same thing once but was luckier than you. Falls are not good that's for sure and I hope that a bit of make up and you'll look as good as new for your workshop. Take Care. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ouch, so sorry to read of your mishap Rhonda, sending hugs and best wishes for speedy healing
    :)
    Mabel (((())))

    ReplyDelete
  26. Morning Rhonda, that bruise is one for the record books! I'm not sure if you have gas companies trying to get in for coal seam gas up there but you could tell people you took them on...and won!!

    Hope it heals up quick.

    Lauren H

    ReplyDelete
  27. Rhonda, it is so easy to fall when you get older I have found. I think when we were younger and were more nimble we could prevent falling and I am pleased that you didn't hurt yourself more than you did. It looked like you had a lovely time with your family on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You poor girl, arnica lotion clears up bruises really quickly but keep it away from your actual eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh sorry to hear about your fall. It does make one feel stupid to do something like that but accidents do happen to everyone now and again. Hope your cuts and bruises heal up quickly. It's so hard to have bruises since once the initial episode is over they really don't hurt all that much but look so bad to others. You're continually having to explain what has happened.

    Victoria
    Indiana USA

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh dearest, Rhonda ~ what a horrible fall! You are healthy, so you'll heal up well. If you are open to using homeopathic remedies, Arnica is absolutely awesome for bruising and trauma... You'll practically watch your face heal up!

    LOVED the lunch pictures - so lovely to be together and share a meal. It's very important to do that regularly - although we are all busy, making time for family is critically important. You value your family (as I do) and it shows in everything you do XO

    ReplyDelete
  31. Rhonda- Ouch! If anyone asks about it at your workshop, you could just say what my dad taught me when I accidentally got a black eye once, "If you think this is bad, you should see the other guy." :) Hope you heal quickly.
    Melissa in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ouch! Tripping over is so easy to do, and injures your ego as much as anything. I tripped myself over walking my daughter to kinder a few weeks ago, and got to know the footpath a bit too well! After getting the all clear from the obstetrician (I was 33 weeks pregnant at the time), I felt rather silly and sported a black eye, grazed hands and bruised knees for a couple of weeks. You'd be surprised at how unobservant some people are, too - I work as a high school psychologist, and not one of my students asked me about my face. It might be an adolescent thing or the fact that they're there to talk about themselves, but what was glaringly obvious to me didn't warrant a comment! Maybe my halfhearted efforts with a very light foundation cover made all the difference...? Who knows!!

    I hope your workshop goes really well, and I'm sure you won't frighten anybody :-)

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, I'm pleased to know your fall didn't harm you or your baby. Isn't it strange that the teenagers didn't ask about your bruising. Maybe they didn't want to embarrass you by asking. Apart from my CWA talk and lunch with Jens and Cathy next weekend, I doubt I'll go out at all in the next couple of weeks. I do have a function at the State Library on 2 July but if the bruising is still bad, I doubt I'll go.

      Delete
  33. The same thing happened to my friend just three weeks ago, she broke her leg, as she tripped over the cord on the electric blanket, the break was severe enough to require surgery and she will be on crutches for eight weeks. This must be so sore, I hope you will recover soon. I love the shawl, I could have given this pattern to my sister to knit instead of the scarf. Jeanette is recovering from hip surgery and has been bored. Only two weeks and she will be back at work although still on a walking stick. As we get older it all takes so much longer to heal. Regards Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A broken leg! Oh no. I'm glad that didn't happen to me.

      Delete
    2. Rhonda, my son has just arrived to show me his black eye, received early this evening while playing indoor cricket, I think he will look worse tomorrow. Regards Wendy

      Delete
  34. Rhonda - take care and go easy on yourself. Facial bruising looks spectactularly bad, and is probably painful as well - and you will be constantly having to explain yourself to others, which is possibly almost as wearing.

    I love the shawl, and think it might be my project for a 6 week sea voyage coming up next year ... But can I ask please, did you use 4 or 8 ply cotton with the 5mm needles, and how much of it will I need? sorry, am not a very experienced knitter, so just looking for a little more guidance.
    Jenny54

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny. The cotton is 8ply and I used about 1½ skeins (about 3 balls). A skein weighs 100 grams and is about 180 metres long. Good luck. Come to the forum if you get stuck.

      Delete
  35. So sorry about your face, looks so sore. Do hope it doesn't cause you too much discomfort and is quickly healed. I love the shawl, perhaps l will make one myself. I need a simple cosy project to make during the holidays. Keeping up with four children on holiday means l can't concentrate on a complicated pattern. Hope you have a lovely day, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  36. My DB had a similar face many years ago. He was kneeling by a bookcase when the heavy picture above it fell down. It landed on top of the bookcase, turned over and the plastic cord dug into the top of his nose and gave him a very deep cut. Luckily my step mother was staying with us who was a nurse and she sorted him out. He didn't even have time to move. Wires are one of the first things we trip over apparently so please make sure you catch it somewhere safe.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my goodness Rhonda...take care of yourself and I hope the gash and bruises heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hope your feeling better soon. I hate falling! It gives me such a shock and I tend to feel stupid! Dumb really coz everyone trips over sometimes. Try some arnica ointment for the bruising maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank goodness you are ok. I love that shawl! Putting it on my knitting projects to make list!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Take care, Rhonda. Falling as an adult is so disconcerting.

    Marie Claire

    ReplyDelete
  41. That's an impressive shiner you got there!
    Glad you didn't get any serious injuries though.
    Keep yourself safe young lady, accidents and illnesses are becoming too frequent in your neck of the woods.

    Much love
    Vicki
    Trinidad & Tobago

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'm so glad you didn't sustain any worse injuries Rhonda. A friend of mine had a very minor fall recently & broke her hip.....I guess it's all to do with how you fall!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Good Lord, Rhonda. I am sure it looks worse than it is, but it cannot feel good. Get on the mend soon; and do be careful! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hope you're feeling much better soon. Awful and annoying when these things happen. Taking a tumble like that always takes me right back to school days when I was forever scraping my knees to blazes and then being painted with mercurochrome! It's just a lot longer distance to fall when you're grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh, I am so sorry, Rhonda! My extreme grace and dexterity has netted me some of those same results. Unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Well, at least you guys didn't black your own eye by impatiently yanking on the plastic diaper pail that got caught on the washer lid. :/ Gentle hugs, Rhonda! XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  47. Rhonda, I was so sorry to hear about your Fall. It looks painful but I hope you're feeling much better today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Margaret BlairJune 18, 2013 3:39 pm

    Hope you will feel better soon Rhonda, I bought Polar Fleece sheets last year and haven't needed to use an electric blanket since! I had to wash them 5 times to get the smell out and used some conditioner in the last rinse and now they smell fine. It is a very oily smell . So worth having the sheets though . Once again good wishes for a speedy recovery

    ReplyDelete
  49. Looks like you had a lovely family day. Sorry to hear you got hurt. Arnica gel will help your bruise to heal faster, just make sure to keep it out of the cut. If you apply Arnica to your skin as soon as you are hurt you can prevent most if not all of the bruising even if it is a horrible hit. It is pretty amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Similar thing happenened to my mum. The bruising went down quickly wth Arnica Gel (homeopathic gel fr chemists)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Rhonda. Oh no, your poor face! Sure hope your face is paining you for long. Did your glasses survive ok? Thank goodness the floor was carpeted, or things could have been worse.

    I've fallen and broken a couple of toes in the dark. Learned to have a light on since then. Please take care and get well soon. Jo-Anne in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hi Jo-Anne. My glasses survived, thank goodness. xx

    ReplyDelete
  53. I had been wanting a shawl just like this. Superb. Thanks for sharing your pattern and all the links!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig