DOWN TO EARTH SIMPLE LIVING FORUMS

DOWN TO EARTH SIMPLE LIVING FORUMS
I have a forum attached to my blog where people from all over the world meet to discuss simple life. There are over 8000 forum members now so we have an enormous amount of good information about growing food, cooking from scratch, family, simple living, routines, budgeting, baking and much more. Please click on the image above to go there. Newcomers will have to register. It's free, friendly and we're waiting for you.

10 May 2010

You, me and the kitchen sink

Dawn Marie has sent in photos of her kitchen sink.  Dawn lives in California.  I love how she describes her kitchen as "more function than fashion".


Dawn Marie writes:
"The kitchen has always been my favorite room.It is a gathering place for friends and family, and the source of memorable meals and festivities. I am a mother of 3 , grandmother of 2 with 1 on the way and it brings me great joy to feed my family.



When buying this house almost 11 years ago the thing that appealed to me most was the kitchen. Our prior home had a small galley kitchen so in comparison this kitchen seemed huge! Not so much any more though.


 The things I like most about my kitchen are the deep sink which we installed last year,a large counter and the planter window above the sink. However I do wish I had more cabinets and I have always wanted a kitchen with an island. Everyone in the family likes to either cook or bake so our little kitchen gets a lot of use. We use a lot of different small kitchen appliances on a daily basis (coffee pot, juicer,crockpot,toaster, mirowave,etc..) so they are usually left out which makes my already cluttered kitchen seem even more cluttered, but I don't really mind.My kitchen is more about function than fashion.

There's nothing I enjoy more than padding around my cozy warm little kitchen barefoot baking goodness when it's all rainy and cold out!"
Please don't forget to comment. A comment is like payment for the time taken to post, and in this case in sending in the photos.  Many of us were enthusiastic about this series, so make sure all the photos get a good number of comments.  I don't want any of the people sending in photos to regret joining in.  Thank you friends.  
Frogdancer and Lyne, I'll answer your questions tomorrow.  I'm a bit short of time today.  I hope you enjoy the beginning of this new week.


35 comments:

  1. I think it is fashionable and functional! Lovely mix of colors and style. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your kitchen, it felt like my own, all your special lovelies around to make you feel warm and cosy,it looks like a lovely place to be and i can't think of a thing you would want to change,simply lovely.Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story with your pictures. When you first said your kitchen was more function than fashion I didn't believe you - it's so pretty.

    But I see what you mean about deciding to leave our some of your most used appliances, it's a good idea. We now leave out our food processor as it encourages me to use it rather than cry over cutting up onions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your dining table!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the plants in the window... are they herbs you are growing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The atmosphere of your kitchen and dining room are so "homey". I love your treasures that you have sitting around. Thanks for sharing. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful space! I love your thoughts about it and it makes me smile to think you are so happy with it. That is the way it should be. Kit

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the plants around the kitchen very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your kitchen looks so warm and inviting - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have the same small appliance issue--I hate having them cluttering up the counter, but I hate it more to have to dig out my heavy mixer and food processor every time I need them. Like Candice said, I use them more when they are out, too. Just wish there was some sort of back counter hiding place for them, so they could be accessible but not so visible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm drawn to sinks on an angle (up to a window). Being able to look out and around while doing the washing up is a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dawn Marie .. your kitchen is very inviting. I could almost vision you padding around barefoot baking cookies. The sink, faucet and countertops are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is nothing better than a cozy and pretty kitchen that is actually used for lots of cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this kitchen is so warm and welcoming.. and to me the kitchen is the center of the home.. definitely a place I would be comfortable in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dawn Marie - I'd love to come and play in your kitchen. I especially like the sink placement and all the little nicnacs on the walls.Clever choice for the countertops too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your kitchen--it's very homey and welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bet there been a lot of tells of love in your kitchen.
    Happy Mothers day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Dawn Marie,
    Such a pretty name. Your kitchen looks delightful and very homey, which after all is how it should be.

    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dawn Marie your kitchen reminds me a little of my own and we have similar dining room tables. Isn't under bench lighting great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dawn is my precious sister-in-law, and I have been blessed to spend many holidays and meals from her kitchen. Words cannot begin to describe how many eclectic people from from different worlds and ages are drawn to Dawn and her family, and her kitchen truly reflects this. I also wish you could all see how many people gather here during holidays! Her china cabinet also always reflects the holiday at hand... entirely filled each holiday with seasonal decorations!
    Also, when Dawn says that all of her kids cook... they also grow a lot of their own food, and several are vegetarians or vegans! That kitchen is always used to create interesting nutritious foods!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dawn
    I was blessed with a gally kitchen, would love to have one where people can sit and natter whilst i potter about.
    And no not clutterd yours is a kitchen where love is exspressed.
    Good post
    Many thanks for sharing
    Rachel
    Plymouth
    Devon
    England

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you ALL so much for the kind comments!I'm enjoying each and every one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I truly love that feeling of rain on the tin roof and the smell of baked goodies.
    I have the same thoughts of my kitchen, not enough cupboard space and it was big when I first moved in, but how I could go bigger! Lovely thoughts, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi I love reading your blog and have slowly been changing the way I view things and how I go about achieving things. I am now eager to reuse and recycle when ever I can and so have a question for you. What would you suggest I do with old polycotton children's school shirts? They are stained but I think there must be something I can do with them. But what? I would love some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the dark wood and countertop!!!! What a warm and inviting kitchen!! Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very fashionable... I love it! It reminds me a lot of mine and I am very very envious of that pretty countertop!

    ReplyDelete
  27. A lovely, homely, functional kitchen.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely lived in kitchen, well loved and well used.

    Pippa xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. It looks cozy and homely and well-used and well-loved. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello!! My name is SIMAUMA. I write blog about the food.Please look.And I am glad if I link to your blog. (URL)http://food-collection-simauma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. A cozy, homey and family kitchen to be sure! I know you've served up a thousand memories to your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm glad your kitchen is so well loved and used. It doesn't seem tiny, compared to my kitchen, but I bet I would quickly get used to a much bigger space, just as you did. Love your countertops!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment today. I love reading your opinions and thoughts. We have built up a wonderfully diverse community here that I'm very proud to be a part of.

A link to your blog will be automatically added to your comment. Please don't add another link to your blog in your comment. Those comments will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...