24 December 2007

T'was the day before Christmas

I finally put up our little cotton Christmas decorations and found two red candles. I'm ready.

The brandy has been poured over the Christmas cake for the last time and today we pick up all the food for the Christmas breakfast. However, there has been a glitch.

Hanno has been laid up with gout for the past three days and can barely walk. He's only walking, very slowly, with the help of a walking stick.

I considered asking a couple of the committee members to do all my chores today but as they know nothing about what I've ordered, I had to find another way. While laying on the couch all day, Hanno was insisting he was fine. He didn't want me to ask anyone else to do this, he wants us to do it. He sees it as an important gift to the community and while I agree with him, it's difficult to do what we have to do when he can't stand up. So what do I do when I have a work-related problem?

I rang Bernadette.

Bernadette is the woman I work with most days at the Centre. We are an excellent team, together we can do anything. I put Hanno's proposal to her: she and I do all the running around while Hanno directs us from the car. LOL!! Now how could a plan like that go wrong. Well, we will soon see. This is what is planned.

I drive Hanno and I to pick up Bernadette, we all go to the showground to pick up the mobile coldroom they are lending us. With Hanno directing, Bernadette and I hook up the coldroom trailer to our car and drive to Bernadette's house where we unhook the trailer and plug in the coldroom.

Bernadette makes us all a cuppa.

At 11am, we drive into town and try to find a parking spot near the shops. No doubt Hanno will be directing this too but I doubt I'll be listening. ; ) We leave Hanno in the parked car and Bernadette and I pick up all the bread and bread rolls from IGA, two donated cheese platters from the fine food shop, donated watermelons, rockmelons, oranges, mangoes and a box of tomatoes from the green grocer, 10 kg bacon (donated) from one butcher, then drive to another location and pick up 5 kg bacon, 33 dozen eggs (donated) and 400 sausages from another butcher. I also have to collect my ham from him. He sells antibiotic-free and free range meat, so I ordered a small ham for our Christmas lunch. Drive to Bernadette's and pack all this into the coldroom.

Bernadette makes us all a cuppa.

Drive out to the dairy to pick up donated yoghurt and milk, both cow and goat's milk. We bought the soy milk already from the IGA. We will probably have a few vegans and vegetarians call in for breakfast. The dairy also offered to lend us their refrigerated ute, Tinkerbelle. I did say we'd take it but with Hanno unable to drive, I'll just pick up the donation and leave Tinkerbelle to rest with the cows over the holidays. Drive back to Bernadette's and pack it into the cold room. I'll leave Hanno at Bernadettes when I do this, it will be easier.

It will then probably be around 2pm, so Hanno and I will drive back down the mountain and go home. I'll check the chickens - Mary is still sitting on her eggs, feed the dogs, cat and fish, have a shower and we'll go to my step son's and DIL's for Christmas eve dinner.

Tomorrow we'll be up early to set up for the breakfast. It goes from 7am till 11am. We have about 15 people to help with setting up, cooking, serving and cleaning up, but on the day people generally volunteer to work as well. Shane is bringing two of his friends to help us so I'll invite them and Bernadette to come home with us for lunch. After that, I reckon I'll collapse.

This is the last post I'll do for a little while as I plan on resting for a few days over the holidays. I want to thank you all for making my first few months of blogging so enjoyable. We have built up a lovely little community here and it has given me a lot of pleasure to write for you all. I hope you all enjoy the holidays and are able to spend it with those you love. If you're alone, I hope you have a good book. Stay safe everyone.

I will leave you with these few interesting links:
Christmas poem at the wonderful Duck Herder blog.
Small Town Living magazine which is put together by garden goose. You can read a lot of good articles here.
Check out what Melinda is doing over Christmas at Elements in Time.
David Holmgren's very interesting article on Retrofitting the Suburbs.



SHARE:

19 comments

  1. Hoping that all works out for you today and goes very smoothly. I got up very early to go to the fish market, they were not that busy but had a constant stream of customers.

    Wishing you and Hanno a beautiful time with family & friends over Christmas. Looking forward to you getting back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope Hanno feels better soon and that your plans to pick up all the donations go smoothly and quickly. Have fun on Christmas Eve with your family and I hope your breakfast in the park is filled with friends, family, and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rhonda Jean,
    I hope Hanno is Better soon. I have a couple cousins whos suffers from gout ,they says its very Painful. Wonderful of you 2 to be so Loving and Kind to others.
    Your Decs. are pretty.
    Blessins', Lib

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope today goes well for you Rhonda. Wishing you and your family a wonderful Xmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the best to Hanno for a speedy recovery and hope you all hav ea beautiful peacful christmas with your friends and family! Good luck with your pick ups and your breakfast I will be thinking of you today as I go about my own preparations.
    Merry Christmas Rhonda & Hanno, it has been lovely to share your lives this year :)
    -hugs-
    Lis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhonda Jean,

    I'm wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!!

    Coleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope Hanno is feeling much better today. Here's wishing you, Hanno and your sons a most wonderful Christmas :) Take care, Ali

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all your timely and wonderful posts this year!

    Wishing Hanno a speedy recovery, and you all a successful breakfast tomorrow.

    Have a safe and happy holiday, enjoy your Christmas break, with family and friends.

    Merry Christmas......
    Jen and the Mountain Gang.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a wonderful Christmas and I hope Hanno is better very soon.

    Merry Christmas and a very Happy New year to you and all your family.

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness Rhonda Jean - you are gunna need those cups of tea!

    wishing you a wonderful chistmas surrounded by love, joy, family and firends (and mountains of food it sound like!)

    duckie xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merry Christmas to you and Hanno and your boys, Rhonda. Hope Hanno feels better soon (my Dad suffers from this and it is so painful).

    You'll need a few days rest after all that you have to do today and Christmas morning. I felt exhausted just reading it.

    Thank you for your wonderful blog this year, I have enjoyed reading it so much and have learnt so much, look forward to next year.

    Cheers, Briget

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a day, Rhonda Jean! You deserve a break after all that. What great work you're doing. I'm sure you will feel that good kind of tired.

    Best wishes for Hanno's recovery - it sounds terrible. I must say I do envision the three of you having a grand time with this plan of his. Despite his pain, Hanno seems in great humor.

    Thank you for sending your readers my way ; ). Now I have to live up to that challenge! Thank you for the other links - can't wait to spend some time with them.

    Have a wonderful holiday with your family.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Rhonda Jean :) I will be thinking of you as you go and do and serve - what a lovely celebration! My best to Hanno for feeling much better very soon. Merry Christmas to you with love, Q

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merry Christmas to you and your family! I hope Hanno gets to feeling better very soon! Blessings to you both during this holiday season and in 2008!

    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Here's hoping your breakfast goes off without any serious hitches and that Hanno gets to feeling better quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a busy time for you! I do hope Hanno feels much better soon and you have a wonderful and Blessed Christmas! Your blog is one of the hi-lights of my day and I just want to thank you for the time and effort you take to write it! My husband suffered from gout for some time and we have found a natural remedy which works very well(and quickly - within a day or two) for him...if you would like the details, just contact me via the link on my blog and I'll email it to you. Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Merry Christmas to you and Hanno, I hope his gout improves soon. Wishing you the best for 2008. Thankyou so much for your blog, I look forwards to it everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Rhonda, I hope it all went according to plan and you had a wonderful Christmas Day. Have a restful Boxing Day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas. I have enjoyed reading your blog so much. You are very inspiring.
    Merry Christmas!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig