7 July 2007

Sourdough and biscuits

I feel like I have my full strength back now. I have no back pain at all. Yay!

I didn't make brownies for Shane yesterday as I didn't have enough chocolate on hand, so today I made him a stack of white chocolate chip biscuits. H and I had one each for morning tea and although they're a bit sweet, they are nice. I find most American recipes too sweet for the average Australian taste so I cut the sugar back to one cup instead of the recipe's 1.5 cups. I think it could come back again to half what the recipe calls for, so three-quarters of a cup (total) of white and brown sugar. The recipe is here.

This is the sourdough about half way through its final rise.
I'll be putting int in to bake soon.
The sourdough saga continues. Kim advised to keep feeding the starter, so I have half my original starter still in the fridge and it's been fed twice today. I also made up another sourdough starter yesterday afternoon and it's been bubbling away nicely overnight and all today. It's almost ready to bake. This is the recipe I used here. When the bread is out of the oven, you'll be the first to see the snaps.
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. That recipe but esp the baking in that cast iron is a winner. i bake my regular sourdough that way. Yum.

    Feeding the sourdough is important but there are diff. methods. Kim's advice is good especially when getting the culture started.

    I refrigerate mine and don't feed it every day but activate it when i need to, so a couple of times a week. It takes a while to get going 4-8 hours. I am fortunate that it's a very active culture (knock on wood!) and works well. I might try the regular feeds with a batch to see what difference it makes.

    Traditionally in bakeries, they feed the starter every six hours - the good ones, at least. I thought wow! You might be interested in this site http://sourdough.com.au/.

    Your bread in the other post looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for your advice, Nada. I am going to try with the other starter but the NY Times recipe is so easy, if the other doesn't work next time, I'll stick to this recipe. Thanks for the website too. I'll check it out later. Do you have a blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes to the blog - http://gflora.wordpress.com

    I love bread baking and eating, of course

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template by pipdig